Should I change my Fabia vRS for a Mini Cooper D?

NeilT

Hi All,

I've had a Fabia vRS now for 3 years and although its a great car I just feel like a change. I need something fast and economical (or Practical and Exciting). I like the punch of the vRS but the steering's a bit dull. I also like it's understatement and Q-car qualities. Quite fancy a Mini Cooper D so wondered if anyone has any opinions on these? Anyone got experience of both the Furby AND the Dooper? Would I be making a huge mistake? Pros and cons?

Any opinions welcome! Cheers.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They never made a Mini diesel.

If your talking about that BMW thing with a Mini badge then you you should think twice as all your mates will think you have changed sides.

Didn't both 5th gear and top gear do a comparison on the cars (admittedly the petrol cooper). I doubt aside from the engine there would be much difference between the petrol and the diesel cooper.

I keep looking at the sort of people driving Mini's and I look at the people driving Fabia vRS's and we're just nicer.

The BMW Mini is a very good car. But the image isn't one I want to be associated with. 3-doors too. And everyone says the diesel is worst of the engines.

They never made a Mini diesel.

It's true that they never made a Mini diesel, but they did make a MINI diesel.

It's all in the spelling!

I've driven both and in my opinion selling a Vrs and buying a Cooper is probably the worst mistake anyone has ever made since the designer of the original Viking helmet put the horns on the inside. :)

Hopefully Chris GB will see this thread and reply as he has done exactly what you're thinking about. Or drop him a PM....

I wouldn't go for one myself, but that doesn't make it a bad idea! Depends what you're looking for from a car, and how you get on with the Mini - e.g. is it big enough; the boot and rear space aren't brilliant, for example. Also, do you like how the engine responds and runs, and how the car handles and rides? To be fair, you can get all the forum opinion you like - from here and Mini2, but you won't know for sure until you get down to a dealer and poke around one, and take one out on an extended test drive.

Steve

My mate has a Cooper S and there is no room in it. If you want to carry more than two people and a box of chocolates in the boot then you may have problems. I find the seats pretty hard and they dont suit my build. Apart from that its a very good car and goes very well. All my friends jump in my Fab if both of us are giving a lift to the pub, they like to not have to saw their heads and legs off and climb over the rear seats. ****ed my mate off, because he likes the badge on his car, I carn't see him buying a Skoda for that reason alone. I think that sums a Mini owner up!

Read online that most of the new Mini was actually designed and built by the old Rover team, BMW just set some guidlines, like suspension type.. but Rover actually worked it all out.. The new (lol, well..not so new anymore really, is it) Mini is at least 50% Rover!...

Oh, here it is, interesting reading...

Mini Development Story

Hi All,

I've had a Fabia vRS now for 3 years and although its a great car I just feel like a change. I need something fast and economical (or Practical and Exciting). I like the punch of the vRS but the steering's a bit dull. I also like it's understatement and Q-car qualities. Quite fancy a Mini Cooper D so wondered if anyone has any opinions on these? Anyone got experience of both the Furby AND the Dooper? Would I be making a huge mistake? Pros and cons?

Any opinions welcome! Cheers.

The VRS steering can be massively improved by changing the bushes on the front suspension - loads of info in Briskoda on this - much cheaper than buying a MINI.

I doubt that any improved MPG in the MINI will make up for the expenditure of changing the cars. Other reasons:

VRS is much more versatile.

MINIs are everywhere.

Grannies drive MINIs.:D

I used to have a Cooper S - it's the worst car I've ever owned, I got rid of it after it broke down 7 times in 5 weeks each time with a different electrical fault. If you buy one get used to spending time waiting for a tow truck, they are shockingly unreliable. And the service from the dealers is absolutely pathetic, they treat you like a pauper because you haven't bought a "proper" BMW.

blah blah blah OK rant over, I was probably just unlucky.

On the +ve side the handling is superb for a little hatchback, they are great fun when everything is working, and it it is working it feels like a much more expensive car than it is. Interior is a doddle to keep clean and looking good. -ve side the rear seats are really only useful for kids and the boot is just about big enough for a gym bag.

Edited by Irvtheswerv

Grannies drive MINIs.:D

And pray, Do tell, What's Skoda's demographic? :D

The MINI is little more than a fashion accessory, A role at which it's admittedly quite good at.

I keep looking at the sort of people driving Mini's and I look at the people driving Fabia vRS's and we're just nicer.

The BMW Mini is a very good car. But the image isn't one I want to be associated with. 3-doors too. And everyone says the diesel is worst of the engines.

you drive a diesel Skoda and you're put off what you call a very good car by image...:D **** image. **** what "people" think

my fiance has a mini cooper and its actually a right laugh to drive!! its a 1.6 16v and its quite nippy!

and shes never had it once break down at all or anything go wrong with it!

and tbh i think a MINI will hold its value too a hell of a lot better than a vrs!

although i'd never own one! fun to blat about town in on a short run but i love my fabia too much :thumbup:

Both the mini and the vrs hold there value well, one just cost more in the first place. My mates car has been reliable, it rattles a bit now since the suspension is very stiff. I think there are very different cars. I like the Skoda because you dont notice it and its quite a good package for a small car, it does what it says on the tin. The Mini is all about looks, more a style statement that is trying to stand out! From that point of view they will probably attract different types of owners. If you live in a crap area, the Skoda has the advantage of not getting keyed (or torched by the Fench protesters in France at the moment).

Sometimes its just good to have a change. Have a test drive and see what you think. I tried the Dooper recently and thought it was really nice (the wife has a Cooper S, but I do a lot of miles), and the chassis was ace. I did try the previous Mini D (not a Cooper) and it was just too slow.

It didnt feel (and isnt) as powerful as the Skoda, but after three years with the Fabia I would happily make that swap, not because its better, but because its different.

My wife is on her second Mini and has had no major problems, and as mentioned residuals are pretty good. She spent 16K on her first mini cooper (including 5K of extras on an 11K purchase price!) and got over 50% back of the TOTAL price after 5 years.

Let us know what you do !

Cheers.

RBW.

you should be aware that MINI's have a common fault with the steering column/rack, cant remember which but the dealers keep the parts in stock its so common

So I hear, and guess what its electric or electro/hydraulic too so quite pricy to fix just like the Fabia/Polo/Ibiza.

I really like the cooper S in gun metal grey, and the interiors are very funky. Never once driven one though or even been in one for that matter so cant really judge between the two. I do think they are two very different cars though and by switching there may be a few things you'll miss as mentioned above; rear leg room, the 5 doors, boot space and above all the subtlety I just admire of the vrs.

my only experience of the new mini was a hundred mile round trip in a Cooper convertible on my work's fleet (no i don't know why they have it either!)

after years of TDi driving it felt stupidly hard to get any speed out of but once stoked up it and kept on the boil it was actually quit rapid - althoguh can't speak for the diesel.

Interior (as above) is "funky" or "god awful" in standard speak - i know retro was in when it was designed but serious does the speedo have to be quite so big??

my fabia isn't exactly a limo but it also rode stupidly hard and i swear my spine was shorter when i got back to the office although tthats likely to be down to it having itsw roof chopped off!!

oh and i think its the campest i've ever looked :D

The MINI petrols (Cooper, Cooper S, Cooper S Works) hold their value well, and are pretty fun, but as mentioned, small. The derv one was slagged off as slow. Also I personally think it just does not suit the car.

But you should really drive one yourself. The weaknesses of the Fabia vRS can be partially got rid of by doing a bit of work as mentioned, and for sure it would be cheaper to do that vs part-X for example.

A lot depends on how you like to drive, how much you drive, and how well you think each car would suit your needs :)

There are good and bad examples of both, there is a brand thing going on a bit within BMW ranks about the MINI, but the same dealer would no doubt look down on the 1 series too, so just like with Skoda there are good dealers and bad ones.

Thanks for all your comments. I thought my post might be a bit provocative on this forum but you didn't all slag me off as much as I thought you might! Plenty of food for thought there. I'm not bothered about space in the back cos we've got a big Volvo for carting the kids and the dog around, so I just need something to get me to and from work and deliver me there with a smile on my face. I agree about the 'image' thing: mini drivers look a different type and its very rare you actually see one being driven with any enthusiasm: it's like people just buy them to look cool. Whereas the vRS is much more subtle: doesn't shout about it's abilities but is hugely talented (bit like me!;);)). I think I'll have a test drive and report back after that and let you know what I decide. I reckon I'll end up modding the front suspension of the vRS to improve the steering and fitting a new stereo. That'll be cheaper than buying a mini!

Cheers all.