To chip or not to chip?

Guys,

I'm a complete Skoda newboy having just sold my 2001 S3 as it was killing me on fuel and went over the magic 100k mileage so it had to go before it lost me any more money.

I've finally decided on a Fabia VRS after many a night pondering ebay/autotrader and forums and you guys seem pretty ace.

Anyway thats enough kissing your a***s in order to get you to help so here goes.

I do a lot of miles, a round trip of 65 miles a day for work and a round trip to see famly once a month of 600 miles.

I've got roughly 5K to speand and see on ebay and autotrader that for about five and a half I can pick up a tidy standard VRS on 2004/2005 plate with about 50k on the clock from a private dealer.

This appeals to the sensible part of me, the one who likes having a clean license and is due a baby in the nest month........ but theres also the part that craves my Audi's performance. Which brings me on to the dilema.

I guy on ebay has a Black magic for £5,995 which has had Jabbasport remap producing 185bhp.

I'm no expert when it comes to mods and to be honest it massively puts me off.

So I put myself in your capable hands to either convince me one way of another, does having it chipped reduce the lifespan of the engine/parts?, does it significantly reduce the mpg, is insurance a problem, do people struggle to sell it on afterwards or how much does it cost to have it reverted back before selling it on?, Is it worth it, ie is the performance that much different?

One thing that also appeals is that the guy sems to at least know what he's talking about and cares after the car. By buying it from an annoymous small dealer it could have been ragged about by anyone and even spanked a coupl of times.

Well if your not bored by the length of this post your help would really be apprciated!!

Bye for now,

A new fan!

If you after straight line performance then a remapped might be what your after. Its the best bhp/pound. Only downside is depending on the map you will have to avoid booting it below 2.5Krpm or the life span of the clutch/flywheel will be reduced. Standard clutch/flywheel is rated to around 280lbft. remapped normally make 300. As for mpg. You wont notice a difference.

I'd keep a look out for a full dealer service history but thats just me.

The main thing that most folk normally say about the clutch is that if you take care of it then it'll be fine.

Clutch/flywheel will go often on standard cars who boot them and rag them about all the time. As long as you're careful with it you should be fine mate! :thumbup:

"Jabbasport remap producing 185bhp" - has it been dyno'd at that or is it an estimate? Most likely it will be the latter as most tuners will say anywhere between 160 and 185. (Also depends on how the car takes to the map.)

£6k for 50k miles sounds like a good deal and if the car is in a decent condition I would say go for it.

One in the Skoda garage up here for £6,400 with 41,000 so sounds like a reasonable offer.

I would say go for it but I would want updated clutch, flywheel, brakes and suspension.chipping is the easy part, many people forget to do this.

+1 - the standard car is plenty quick enough for the brakes and suspension.

Cheers for that guys, I think though I'm going to go for a standard one first and then when the bug bites I'll go ahead and custom the car myself. A company in Bedford seem to be a go between a lease company and before it goes back to a dealers forecourt. They have a magic black 2005 with 50k on the clock currently on £4100 on eBay. Wish me luck!

Cheers for that guys, I think though I'm going to go for a standard one first and then when the bug bites I'll go ahead and custom the car myself. A company in Bedford seem to be a go between a lease company and before it goes back to a dealers forecourt. They have a magic black 2005 with 50k on the clock currently on £4100 on eBay. Wish me luck!

Sounds wise to me :thumbup:

I think you'll be happy for a good while - the vRS is surprisingly nippy and has the ability (even at motorway speeds) to embarrass quite a lot of 'posh' machinery.

I've considered chipping, Dragon box, a good few times - but TBH the performance 'as is' is fine and I'd only go and kill myself if I had it modded.

+ unmodded it should prove to be a very reliable machine.

The performance is better than the 130bhp and the 0-60 time, its the torque when on the move you will find useful and the fact you can drive it quick and still get better than 40 mpg, on a slow run near to 60 mpg.

A standard Fabia feels quicker than an s3 anyway so it's more fun IMO and loaded with people/luggage I reckon it would see it off. Don't mean to do the 'fabis are faster than eurofighters' bit, but I sold my fabia, bought an s3 and was completely underwhelmed, really didn't feel it's power, I liked it for about 6 hours then put it for sale and bought my fabia back, which consequently felt like an upgrade in performance, and yeah the s3 was running right and could hold it's own with similar cars so that wasn't the problem.

Get the best you can afford but don't worry about it being mapped already, you won't be dissapointed with how it is std. When your bored, get it mapped, simples! :thumbup:

Before I purchased my fabia, the first thing i was going to do was a remap thinking 130 bhp wouldnt be enough. After having owned it 4 months nearly I have very little intension to map as the torque and power are just tip top for everyday driving and the occasional bit of fun!

When I find myself a new job though I may start spending some money making the handling and braking a bit better and no doubt after that the uprated clutch and map would follow but if it doesnt happen the std form is a good all rounder in itself :thumbup:

LOL S3 will hump a standard vrs even a mapped 1... lol a 200+ fab would run with one but would get minced off the line and on the twisties .....

If it was me id go for a standard one mate.... no clutch issues and less chance of the turbo poppin :D

Just saying my experience as I've actually owned both

I don't think the OP will be bothered if it's remapped or not as standard the fabia feels just as good (granted slower std) but better in 4th 5th and 6th especially when laden, everyone who rode in or drove my S3 was unimpressed.

To the OP: let me know what you think if you eventually get one

If you want to keep the costs down, at least initially, drive it standard for a while.

Then when the brake discs/pads at the front need doing, perhaps that is a good time to look at a 312mm upgrade at that point.

Insurers are more likely to accept non-power enhancing modifications.

Other tweaks, again you can do these as things need replacing, are poly bushes etc all round, and the rear ARB, front strut, PD160 intake perhaps.

All those things (PD160 excluded) will improve the handling of the car without increasing the power, but you can enjoy the car a bit more.

After that a bit more power will be fun ;) - well it will be immediately but you may as well do it the other way round and enjoy as much as you can.

Other tweaks are Eibachs springs, maybe Eibach dampers, this lowers the car a little more. Koni FSDs are a top option for comfort and handling both on stock height as well as in Eibachs, or you can go coilovers instead which allows you a much further lowering and it handles well but it is more 'harsh' unless you spend a large chunk of cash.

Power wise, a hybrid is awesome for smooth delivery, but then you may need a clutch soon :)

Buy a standard Fabia vRS and run it for 12 months and THEN decide whether you need more power/torque.

If you decide you do, you have 2 options:

1. remap only, to approx 165-170bhp (Superchips, Jabbasport, Revo, Custom Code etc)

2. upgrade lots of parts and remap to 200-240bhp. Upgrading of parts would be: larger front mounted intercooler (eg Forge); new turbo (various); stainless steel exhaust (Milltek); new clutch (Sachs) + flywheel; limited splip diff (Peloquin/Quaiffe); bigger brakes (312mm); lowered suspension (KW1 coilovers); PD160 air intake; sports air filter (Pipercross); rear ARB (Whiteline/Jabbasport).

I have had my Fabia standard for 18 months. I started modding last year and have done the brakes, clutch, flywheel, diff, suspension. Much improved! I am booked into a remap in 2 weeks which will also include Milltek, new turbo, Forge FMIC, remap.

Can't wait.

Any more power than 210-220bhp will cost a LOT.

To get to 210bhp will cost me in total about £5K. But that is cheaper than an S3. And my car handles very well but still does 45mpg easy.

:thumbup:

Guys awesome advise, I've set up a new thread seeing if anyone fancies off loading their pride and joy. I've got up to 6k for the right car and going to follow your advice and to standard!

Fingers crossed I could be bombing round the streets if kent in one as of next week, which would be nice as the 1.5 dci Clio I've borrowed has just about lost it's appeal!

welcome to the forum:thumbup:

the fabia is a great car,i've had 3 now and love them,get it mapped it really is the way forwad and jabbsport are the daddy's,mine is a dyno proven 176bhp and 346ft lbs proved on two different dyno's,it also ran 0-60 in 6.5 seconds at york raceway its quick enough and still gives 50mpg's,would probably give much more if i could stop pressing the loud pedal so much:D

Having had mine for 2.5 years I would put good/softer tyres on first and then sort the suspension/camber before I considered chipping it. It far too easy in standard trim to get the traction control kicking in without the first (dead easy on the Bridgestones that were fitted to mine from the factory)!!