Any 17 year old vRS drivers in here?

My son is just 3 months away from his 17th., and has got his sights set on purchasing my Fabia vRS at a no doubt horrendous discounted price, minus the £1000 I'm giving him towards his first car purchase as an early 18th pressie.

I've warned him that he'll probably never find an insurance company that would be willing to take him on as a learner, and if he did, they'd probably be talking telephone numbers. :eek:

It's down to him anyway, as he's been told that the insurance is his 'baby' from the word go, and it WILL be checked by me when he's got it.

Anyone in here ever insured a vRS as a new 17yr. old learner driver?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 1.4 16v (100BHP) and when I was 17 it was about £1,200 in my Dads name. This year being 18 and with a years NCB in my own name its £1,500.

I was looking out of curiosity to see how much a vRS would be for me next year at 19 with 2 years NCB and I was refused a quote.

However I know some people use the vRS as a learning school car, so I guess it can be done, albeit costly.

Good luck anyway.

I'll give him 500yds before he wraps it around a lampost. Be sensible and start hime off on a 1.0l corsa or something with less than 60hp.

Just like the rest of us did!

I have a 1.4 16v (100BHP) and when I was 17 it was about £1,200 in my Dads name. This year being 18 and with a years NCB in my own name its £1,500.

I was looking out of curiosity to see how much a vRS would be for me next year at 19 with 2 years NCB and I was refused a quote.

However I know some people use the vRS as a learning school car, so I guess it can be done, albeit costly.

Good luck anyway.

Won't be adding his name to my policy. He fully understands that he's got to earn his own NCD from the word go, and if he keeps within the law, he'll reap the benefits earlier.

I did an online quote for him on his mothers Peugeot 107 (group 1 so they don't come any cheaper) and in his own name, that came out at approx £1250. :rolleyes:

Fairly late Rover 25's are looking cheap enough to purchase, and they did a 1.1 iirc?

He's already stated that he will NOT be having a Corsa or Saxo.

He's the exact opposite of a chav, whatever that is?:confused:

17? He acts more like 70! :D

I know the Fabia vRS is not the fastest car in the world, but I agree with what others have said - he should start with something less powerful.

I think I'd have been highly likely to kill myself if I'd had one at 17.

There's a few of the younger lads on here that have got standard (non vRS) Fabias, and they have done some pretty stylish cosmetic modifications to them.

I'll give him 500yds before he wraps it around a lampost. Be sensible and start hime off on a 1.0l corsa or something with less than 60hp.

Just like the rest of us did!

My feelings. Just looking for some 'ammunition' to say "told you so".;)

I started out with a 105E Anglia pumping out about a staggering 30bhp! :eek:

I'd still be very interested to see if any current or ex 17 year olds have insured a vRS though, and just how eye wateringly expensive it was/is.

Fairly late Rover 25's are looking cheap enough to purchase, and they did a 1.1 iirc?

There's a reason why they are cheap.

I know the Fabia vRS is not the fastest car in the world, but I agree with what others have said - he should start with something less powerful.

I think I'd have been highly likely to kill myself if I'd had one at 17.

I know I would of. It isn't the fastest car but it's faster and more powerful than I'd give to a learner.

My feelings. Just looking for some 'ammunition' to say "told you so".;)

I started out with a 105E Anglia pumping out about a staggering 30bhp! :eek:

:)

I had a 1.0 Yaris before which admittedly was a lovely little car as a start but it was an incident with a Transit van at traffic lights which finally tipped me over the edge to change it.

The vRS is a solid safe little car and personally I think encouraging him to get a rubbish M reg Saxo or Corsa is just irresponsible because they're so cheap and flimsy.

Edited by oliverp

The vRS is a solid safe little car and personally I think encouraging him to get a rubbish M reg Saxo or Corsa is just irresponsible because they're so cheap and flimsy.

Think you must have mis-read what I said.

He WON'T be getting a Corsa or Saxo. Too chavvy is his reason, and the safety of a Saxo is mine. Post Y reg Corsa's have a quite good N cap rating iirc.

I know why the Rover 25's are so cheap, yes, but my best friend's son has had one for nearly 3 years now, with absolutely no problems whatsoever...apart from getting nicked for speeding...in 1.1.:rolleyes:

Im no expert but i do work for a insurance company, and most insurance companys will not insure a under 25 on a vRS on the basis it comes out as a group 9* e.g higher risk etc. The few places that do quote will be asking for as much as a vrs is worth almost - as stated in one of the previous quotes by someone with 5,00 pound quote.

Id say he is better with something like a 1.9sdi golf mk or a 1.4 golf/ focus (and before everyone says they didnt' do a 1.4 focus they did- see parkers)

They are cheap to insure and they are safe and they are quite stylish and in the cas eof the golf they are built like tanks (+ they are still in the V.A.G Group)

I am not a chav either but i started with a corsa (a post y plate known as a corsa-c so your aware) and they are decent little cars and contry to the other post about them they are pretty sturdy for what they are.

Just my 2 cents but its his choice

if you want to show him this is my old corsa-c and it was (barring the wheels) all vauxhall parts no chav plastic crude

nm2006_032.jpg

Think you must have mis-read what I said.

He WON'T be getting a Corsa or Saxo. Too chavvy is his reason, and the safety of a Saxo is mine. Post Y reg Corsa's have a quite good N cap rating iirc.

I know why the Rover 25's are so cheap, yes, but my best friend's son has had one for nearly 3 years now, with absolutely no problems whatsoever...apart from getting nicked for speeding...in 1.1.:rolleyes:

Nah I didn't misread it but went in a bit strong with my post as I had clouded judgement knowing how poor those cheap little chav-mobiles are. :mad: And that's very poor.

Saxo NCAP

Fabia NCAP

Fabia's no where near perfect but a load better than the Saxo. Does he have anything else in mind other than the vRS?

My daughter started driving last year at 17yrs. old 1.0L Seat Arosa was £463 insurance for myself, wife and daughter to drive fully comp. which ain't bad. Certainly not a Chav car. Hope your son doesn't end up with an expensive insurance car that he can't afford to drive.

Oh and on the Corsa subject I was thinking more along these kind of lines (Corsa B):

CorsaB50.jpg

I've driven a Corsa C (albeit a 1.7 Diesel :cool:) and it was actually very nice and a lot better quality than the previous version.

I'm 19, or was when I got my vrs, £1750 for the year. I think if been lucky not to wrap myself round a lampost and that's after a fair bit of road experience (10 hours a day for 6 months). I would really suggest something a bit cheeper to run for a 1st car tbh, what about a 1.4/9 non vrs?

Matt

i learnt in a 1.2 corsa c, and have just upgraded to a vrs now, at 19 (20 soon) and the difference is amazing (powerwise etc) id honestly say buy a cheap car (sub 3K) and keep that for at least a year, doesnt matter if it gets any parking dings etc and then as your older and the insurance becomes cheaper get the vrs and you will appreciate the power more and have more cash in your pocket

at 17 you shouldnt care which car, as long as it is a car!

btw my C has just gone on autotrader if your wanting to view, test drive or whatever drop me a PM (its listed for £2750...)

hope that helps

I think we worked out I was the youngest member on the site a few years back with a skoda fabia vRS. I'm still only going to be 21 this year and have already owned a skoda fabia vRS and a honda civic type R.

I didn't "wrap it around a lampost" after 500 yards!!! Infact I did 38,000 miles in my skoda and 12,000 odd in my honda.

I will go back OT. The insurance will be insane. It was for me. I would suggest as said above go for a lower model and make a "dummy" vRS - Duggie has to be a fine example as his car looks great.

I myself have gone back to a 1.2 16v Clio for now. I know some members have laughed at me before but they never really thought. I'm 21 have 4 Years NCB, 0 Points, Live in Bournemouth (Uni) and Swindon (Home).

Car is insured for less than 4,000 miles a year as I don't take it to uni. Insurance is only £380. Tax is really cheap as it's a 1.2 and I get 40 - 50mpg depending on where I'm going.

Save the money your putting towards the car for University Fees + Other Costs..... Think about the long-term plan

Hope this helps,

Rob

How about a Mk1 Fabia 1.2 Sport as a 1st car , they will be cheap to insure relative to a vRS and come with alloys , a black interior (same seats as vRS) red seatbelts and rear privacy glass , so still look pretty sweet , certainly better that the Mini I had as a first car for the grand sum of £80!!!

I'm 17 and out of curiosity I got a quote on Adrian Flux for a vRS from 05. The cheapest came in at £4600 I think.

As it stands I am paying an extortionate £2100 for a 1.4 MPi at the moment with yesinsurance. I didn't know about Adrian Flux til a few days ago - did a quote and it came out at £1300. Needless to say myself and Dad were slightly annoyed as we now cant get a refund for the existing insurance.

I used to drive a 1.4 02 plate Fiesta Zetec which was much faster than the MPi. Unfortunately that lovely car came to a sticky end and moving into the Fabia I feel much more in control due to the slower and less powerful engine.

In conclusion, unless he takes a test like RoSPA or IAM soon after passing his test I don't reckon the insurance cost would make the vRS a viable decision.

I'm 17 and out of curiosity I got a quote on Adrian Flux for a vRS from 05. The cheapest came in at £4600 I think.

In conclusion, unless he takes a test like RoSPA or IAM soon after passing his test I don't reckon the insurance cost would make the vRS a viable decision.

I didn't do any other test after passing. I just had 1 years NCB and my insurance was £1,800. I was with "Bell" if this helps. Fully Comp.

I would suggest you try another company such as Norwich Union. Please do remember not to accept a quote from confused.com ect as they get a %

- Once you have been on confused.com and get your quotes look on the actual company websites and fill in the forms there. Once done then ring and talk to them over the phone.

Hope this helps,

Rob

I didn't do any other test after passing. I just had 1 years NCB and my insurance was £1,800. I was with "Bell" if this helps. Fully Comp.

I would suggest you try another company such as Norwich Union. Please do remember not to accept a quote from confused.com ect as they get a %

- Once you have been on confused.com and get your quotes look on the actual company websites and fill in the forms there. Once done then ring and talk to them over the phone.

Hope this helps,

Rob

I did get it through confused.com and then went to the website and it was about £100 cheaper. Unfortunately I have had the policy since Feb and it wouldn't make financial sense to cancel the policy as the difference in price would cancel out. Just got to wait it out til Feb 2010 and I can renew to a different insurer and save some much needed dosh.

i was 18 when i bought my fabia vrs, about a month ago (just turned 19, im payed £1400 when i was 18fully comp in my own name, no ncb as ive been on my parents insurance with my previous car and 1 years driving experience. thats with bell insurance.

As people have said, the vrs isnt the quickest, but certainly too quick to just jump into when you pass, ive never crashed a car, but like most, when you first pass, you think your invincable and that 'it wont happen to me' imo it would be a shame to make a mistake in a vrs, because it WILL end worse than if you gave your son a 60bhp clio etc

My first car was a corsa 1.2, which tought me a lot about driving, but soon got bored of it.

Second (and previous to the vrs) was a 96 civic 1.4, awesome car and i still miss it, nippy and with coilovers, rarb etc the civic is a brilliant handleing car, sold that just before the vrs.

I work for honda, have driven a few type r's, and am very tempted by a dc2 integra next;)

I get bored quite easily:rofl: