Tyre makes and prices

Yohan

Hello,

My fabia is due new tyres all round. In the past when I owned a Golf MK4 I bought Toyo Proxes T1-Rs from camskill.net as they were the cheapest.

Would you still recommend these tyres for the fabia? Im looking at about £255 delivered for 4 Proxes in the 205 45 R16 fitment.

Regards,

John

A lot of people on here have had the Toyo Proxes on their cars and rate them highly - so I'd say they're a fairly safe bet.

Other highly acclaimed tyres include

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3

Uniroyal Rainsports

Thanks for the quick reply.

I know you shouldn't look to cut costs when it comes to tyres however money isn't exactly free flowing at the moment and I noticed if I were to buy 195 45 R16 Proxes it makes them £55 cheaper.

Would there be any difference in handling by running a very slight stretch?

Hi Yohan,

The Proxy's are good tyres, in my opinion the Eagle F1's are the best and I've been running a set for a couple of years and would buy again ( the new assymetrics ) as they keep winning tyre tests. You won't be dissapointed with the Toyo's though. Do a search for best prices - Black Circles are very good.

To be honest you'd have to drive like a maniac to notice the difference and it's more important to make sure the pressure is right than to have the best tyres under/over inflated.

Thanks, I did check out Black Circles although they were a bit more expensive. They do say on their website they might price match so I may give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.

I never take part in track days and just use the car for commuting and the odd spirited weekend blast :)

That does make it a bit cheaper actually, about £25. I take it you don't have to be TOO strict with regards to width? I was just assuming because the tyres that came with it were 205's that I should stick with them.

A lot of tyres state specifically that they should not be stretched or whatever the opposite of stretched is - so be careful if you do start playing around with tyre widths :)

Ive just put four new tires on my motor myself.

I went for some mid priced Maxxis MAV1's and ive been impressed! - Just incase your looking for reviews!

ooh.... please let me know how you get on with these, I found some quite cheap (but didnt want usless tat) , did a bit of research and found the company makes racing tyres, so has a bit of pedigree... I need some new tyres soon, and have thought of these, please PM me a review, when you've put them through their paces! :thumbup:

The Proxy's are good tyres, in my opinion the Eagle F1's are the best and I've been running a set for a couple of years and would buy again ( the new assymetrics ) as they keep winning tyre tests.

I was looking at the Eagle F1's as I'm going to need a full set soon, but they are dear at about £100 a corner. How much did you pay, if you don't mind my asking? The other problem is that because they are directional they can't be swapped from side to side, and I tend to wear out the front left a bit faster (damned tempting roundabouts!!)

Edited by ch1ccn

I'm on Pirelli P-Zero Neros, which I have been delighted with (had them on the wheels when I bought them from Wardy, and have since replaced them with the same). Very grippy and pretty hardwearing too. £70 a corner fitted and balanced from my local tyre man.

I had E-Tyres fit me 4 Michelin Exalto Pilot 2s' (think that's what they're called) a fortnight ago and they're pretty good, cornering is improved over the original Continentals! They weren't cheap compared to other brands but the main reasons I bought them was apparently longer lasting and grip!

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with them!... :thumbup:

BTW E-Tyres overall service was spot on, I'd highly recommend them to anyone!

I ran Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 tyres and I can't fault them in the wet or the dry. They are however absolutely useless on snow or in the cold. In February I bought some T1-Rs from Camskill and again I can't fault them. I think they are actually slightly better in the dry as the Goodyears, although they don't have as "crisp turn-in" as the F1s did.

A thread about Tyres in the Fabia Forum: I'm surprised none has mentioned Kittens and the search button yet!! :rofl:

Edited by Jim H

Personally I think we should have a tyre sticky post as I've got a question about tyres but don't want to "hijack" a thread.

Anyway, here goes - for the Ocy 17" Spiders I know people go for a 40 profile but what about the width? what are better 205 or 215 tyres?

£70 a corner fitted and balanced from my local tyre man.

Who do you suggest for supplying & fitting tyres on Merseyside, any good suggestions?

I'm on the Wirral, but Liverpool is ok too.

ta

Does anyone know if it is ok to put 215,40,16 on the standard fab wheels because £220 for 4 proxies is a gurd price!?:)

They are indeed a good price, and lower your car ;)

I have run 215/40 on 16's for the past 3 years, including several european trips, race tracks, pod visits and going to the shops :rolleyes:

Who do you suggest for supplying & fitting tyres on Merseyside, any good suggestions?

I'm on the Wirral, but Liverpool is ok too.

ta

Without hesitation, I recommend St James' Tyres on Laird St in Birkenhead. Give them a call, tell them what you need, they'll order it in fro the next day and they're the cheapest on Wirral bar none. Tiny little place (by the KFC) run by two cracking fellas too. (NB: they do not have the facilities to take card payments). Tel: 0151 670 0545.