Driving in Europe

r300chris

Hi guys

Not realy a maintenance question but....

I'm driving to Brugge via France and have been checking out what laws and regs I need to follow. Apparently I need to have high vis vests, GB sticker, warning triangle and headlight reflectors.

All ok apart from the headlight reflectors.... Anyone know if these are neccesary if you have Zeon headlights?

Thanks

Chris

Hmm... best to get all the kit... you don't want a heafty fine for not having it. I doubt they will go easy on you either... they will see bloody foreigner not follwing our rules!

And yes I think you do need headlamp converters with zenons.

You get the normal ones and just the little round bit. There will be a guide showing where to place it.

A friend of mine with a MK2 Fabia with projector lenses used some not too long ago and they worked fine.

Phil

Hi there, i too took a trip to Brugges last year, i had been before but when i was 13 and didn't really appreciate the beautiful buildings and scenery. Took my wife on honeymoon there and she loved it, at first when we got off the ferry she thought we were going to Paris but when we arrived a the 'hotel Montanus' WOW! Its a 4 star hotel but it seemed so much better, cant really explain without babbling on (Oh wait i am) but you need too see it for yourself.

May i ask just out of interest, holiday or work? The reason i ask is that it has got quite expensive along with the poor pound/euro rate.

ANYWAY

You can pick up the headlamp stickers from car shops such as halfords, at the port or on the ferry they are about 6 or 7 quid. The point of them is to prevent your left hand headlight form glaring oncoming vehicles as they drive on the wrong side of the road :). They have instructions inside and its better to pay the 6or 7 quid than to get pulled over by the french coppers pleading ignorance doesn't work and you will probably get a large fine. Even if you are driving during the day they still need to be on.

Very easy to get to brugges, just stay on the same road (E17 i think it was) and it takes you straight to brugges.

Hope this helps

Hi guys

Not realy a maintenance question but....

I'm driving to Brugge via France and have been checking out what laws and regs I need to follow. Apparently I need to have high vis vests, GB sticker, warning triangle and headlight reflectors.

All ok apart from the headlight reflectors.... Anyone know if these are neccesary if you have Zeon headlights?

Thanks

Chris

I've seen cars stopped on that route as I've driven it many times myself.

You need:

- GB plates or sticker (required)

- Beam conversion stickers for lights (required)

- High Vis Jacket for the driver (required) and all passengers (advised)

- First Aid Kit (advised)

- Belgium states the car must have a fire extinguisher within reach of the driver (Required)

Also make sure you learn the road signs and speed limits or you could find yourself in a nasty spot with right of way being different to what you would expect in the UK

As for the drive it depends where you're landing, but it's pretty much a doddle. Couple of roads get you onto a single motorway, you follow it and pull off into brugge after a while. Some nice french villages to stop in for a very early morning coffee and croissant if you're feeling hungry.

Hi there, i too took a trip to Brugges last year, i had been before but when i was 13 and didn't really appreciate the beautiful buildings and scenery. Took my wife on honeymoon there and she loved it, at first when we got off the ferry she thought we were going to Paris but when we arrived a the 'hotel Montanus' WOW! Its a 4 star hotel but it seemed so much better, cant really explain without babbling on (Oh wait i am) but you need too see it for yourself.

May i ask just out of interest, holiday or work? The reason i ask is that it has got quite expensive along with the poor pound/euro rate.

ANYWAY

You can pick up the headlamp stickers from car shops such as halfords, at the port or on the ferry they are about 6 or 7 quid. The point of them is to prevent your left hand headlight form glaring oncoming vehicles as they drive on the wrong side of the road :). They have instructions inside and its better to pay the 6or 7 quid than to get pulled over by the french coppers pleading ignorance doesn't work and you will probably get a large fine. Even if you are driving during the day they still need to be on.

Very easy to get to brugges, just stay on the same road (E17 i think it was) and it takes you straight to brugges.

Hope this helps

Thank for the tips guys,

First time I have taken my own car to Europe, I normally hire a car when I get there so dont need to do anything. It's my first wedding anniversary so its a holiday rather than work, your not wrong about the price, but I though id be romantic for the second time in 9 years, the first being when I proposed. lol

The route looks dead easy, but I borrowed a eurpe sat nav anyway. :thumbup:

I've seen cars stopped on that route as I've driven it many times myself.

You need:

- GB plates or sticker (required)

- Beam conversion stickers for lights (required)

- High Vis Jacket for the driver (required) and all passengers (advised)

- First Aid Kit (advised)

- Belgium states the car must have a fire extinguisher within reach of the driver (Required)

Also make sure you learn the road signs and speed limits or you could find yourself in a nasty spot with right of way being different to what you would expect in the UK

As for the drive it depends where you're landing, but it's pretty much a doddle. Couple of roads get you onto a single motorway, you follow it and pull off into brugge after a while. Some nice french villages to stop in for a very early morning coffee and croissant if you're feeling hungry.

Got the GB sticker, hi vis jackets, first aid kit and warning triangle, will steel the fire extinguisher from the Caterham. Just need to sort the lights. :cool:

IIRC the fire extinguisher is only required if the car is registered in the country that the 'law' refers to, for visiting drivers from an outside country it is only recommended.

. Took my wife on honeymoon there and she loved it, at first when we got off the ferry she thought we were going to Paris but when we arrived a the 'hotel Montanus' WOW! Its a 4 star hotel but it seemed so much better, cant really explain without babbling on (Oh wait i am) but you need too see it for yourself.

I stayed there a couple of years ago. Nice place, and very convenient. We were usually woken up by the sound of the first horse drawn carriage of the day going past, which was kind of nice. Good breakfast, too!

Phil

I may be completely wrong, as no-one else has mentioned it, but I was sure you couldn't use stick on beam benders with Xeon headlamps, as they generated to much heat. I'm sure the handbook states that all Xeon headlamps should be changed by the dealer before heading abroad.

Personally I would amend the beam pattern, stick on beam benders are horrid things and take plenty of elbow grease to remove (I ended up buying the proper Skoda clip on covers).

I second taking everything recommended, and making sure you have the Hi-Viz inside the car, within reach of the driver (at least two). I would take:

Beams "bent" (either by converter or pattern switched)

Hi-Viz x2

GB sticker (not needed if your number plates are new and have GB already them)

Bulb kit/Fuses (you may not find suitable Xeon bulbs abroad)

First aid kit - with basic additions like paracatamol, electrolite powers etc (cheaper to take than find abroad)

Fire Extinguisher

Warning triangle

Spare wheel/tyre weld etc

EHIC card, insurance, MOT certificates, Green Card, both parts of your driving licence etc etc

Breakdown cover

Even though the Fire Extinguisher etc may not be compulsory, most EU countries have a "good citizen" law which states that in the event of you being around someone elses accident, you are required to provide assistance. Which may include a fire extinguisher or first aid kit...

Your UK insurance certificate will give you third party cover in other EU countries, but I would strongly suggest taking out a Green Card if you have fully comp insurance in the UK. Peace of mind...

I'm such an old woman:rofl:

Hewesy

I was sure you couldn't use stick on beam benders with Xeon headlamps, as they generated to much heat.

I thought Xenons produced less heat as they use less watts than a comparative halogen bulb. I too could be wrong though!

Phil

Your UK insurance certificate will give you third party cover in other EU countries, but I would strongly suggest taking out a Green Card if you have fully comp insurance in the UK. Peace of mind...

I'm such an old woman:rofl:

Hewesy

Got a green card sorted. It was free as I am away for less than a week.

Bah!

I rarely bother with a GB sticker, and have never used silly headlight stickers. I just dial my headlights down to stop them blinding oncoming cars. If you have a number plate with GB and the EU symbol on, then you shouldn't need an additional GB sticker.

I do however always take a 1st Aid Kit, Triangle, Hi-Vis and small extinguisher. Because those are the things that would make a difference.

I've been stopped by the police entering France from Belgium, and got told to slow down! They had a good look at my car and didn't say a thing, even though I have plain plates and no GB badges, and no silly stickers on my lights.

Just use your own common sense and take what you think you'd actually need. People have seriously hyped-up the whole driving in Europe thing. The ferry companies drill it into you so you get brainwashed and spend £200 on Hi-Vis jackets for everyone in a 5mile radius!

Just hit the road and go! I do over 6500miles in Europe every year, and have never been asked to put anything on the car. The only problem I had recently was the Austrian Police hiding in hedges with speed guns. Very sneaky!

Have a good trip :thumbup:

I just dial my headlights down to stop them blinding oncoming cars.

Wouldn't this compromise how far up the road you can safely see at night?! Especially as you appear to like speeding, given the fact you've been pulled over and warned about it :rolleyes:

I think that these rules are there for good reason.

I was stopped in Hull the other week for a random road worthy check and to my suprise one of my brake lights was out... luckily I do carry spares so I popped a new one in and off I go.

Also things like the warning triangle could be a life saver... you brake down round a blind bend so you put the triangle out round the bend so people know there is a hazard coming up.

It's just sensible really.. something this country doesn't do! lol

IIRC the fire extinguisher is only required if the car is registered in the country that the 'law' refers to, for visiting drivers from an outside country it is only recommended.

Might have a point there, however I did an install of the official skoda one under the seat as they are quite specific on the implications of a car not having one.

Bah!

I rarely bother with a GB sticker, and have never used silly headlight stickers. I just dial my headlights down to stop them blinding oncoming cars. If you have a number plate with GB and the EU symbol on, then you shouldn't need an additional GB sticker.

Sorry but that just doesn't work, you still blind people on the other side of the road as I've been blinded on a good number of occasions by british drivers thinking they don't need to do it. You can wind the lights down (and you can see they have done it) and it still affects the oncoming drivers and means you can see naff all.

Info from the AA for driving in Belgium.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/AA_Belgium.pdf

and for France, even if only travelling a short distance.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/AA_France_Monaco.pdf

When I travel in europe, as I do frequently I carry.

Warning Triangle

First Aid Kit,

Spare Bulb/Fuses Kit,

3 Reflective jackets (one for me and my 2 passengers)

You also need to take your V5c, your current MOT and your insurance certificate and green card if applicable.

Some insurance companies now include full european cover as part of the policy and this will be written on your certificate. Bell for example allow you to drive for upto 30 days without notifying them, and the neccessary wording in various languages is printed on the back of the insurance certificate.