TV tuner in Columbus

The Columbus handbook identifies that a TV tuner option is available, but is starred. Does this mean - not necessarily available in the UK or other countries? The TV option is not highlighted when I use a DVD. Can it be activated?

Thanks

The TV tuner is not available in the UK, but is in mainland Europe.

You can buy the bits to upgrade a UK car from Kufatec, but it's mighty expensive.

Bagpuss.

hey, i had ordered the tv-tuner because i thought i would use it often, but i only use it sometimes, when my better half is looking for some shoes or stuff like that :rolleyes:

i would say save your money :thumbup:

and its a hybrid tuner, it can handle dvb-t and the older analog signal.

regards from germany, 2fast4u!

Sadly in the UK the digital signal is not being transmitted at full power yet, this leads to no signal most of the time and buildings make it worse, even £200 ariels don't cure it, all will be ok when the final switchover is done but until then TV in the car is a bit hit and miss.

An interesting one this and one that I meant to comment on a few months ago! I borrowed Simpsons Skoda (Preston) 170 DSG demonstrator last December while my Edition 100 Superb was in for service.

A most bizarre experience watching Freeview channels whilst sat at a set of traffic lights! I enquired about the TV tuner and was told that it was for Europe only but, for whatever reason, it had been mis-specced on their demonstrator and added by mistake!

Whoever bought it obviously got an added bonus!

• 2 weeks later...

Stuart, I borrowed that Superb from Preston as well...how cool was it having the TV!!! Even though the picture turned off it was still brilliant being able to listen to Sky Sports news etc etc.

Real shame it isn't fitted over here!!! :rolleyes:

• 6 months later...

Hi guys, has anyone tried to source the tuner from a dealership yet?

I take delivery of my UK spec Superb next week and one of the first things I will be doing when I get back to Germany is speaking to my local VAG dealer to get a price.

They're very helpful over here, I got the Audi engineers at the same garage to retrofit an OEM satnav from Ebay into my S3 for me which they were more than happy to do. Happily the labour charges over here are a lot cheaper than in the UK too :thumbup:

Rob

Stuart, I borrowed that Superb from Preston as well...how cool was it having the TV!!! Even though the picture turned off it was still brilliant being able to listen to Sky Sports news etc etc.

Real shame it isn't fitted over here!!! :rolleyes:

I have a video in motion box, that over-rides the safety switch on the MFD2 and allows both video and TV to be viewed constantly.

I bought the box from Fea-bay and had to do a tricky bit of wiring under the dash, getting a switched power circuit from the fusebox and also wrapping the box in tin-foil to stop any interference from the surrounding electrics, works a treat :yes:

HTH

Tom

I bought two headrests from eBay with built-in Sony DVD Players in each, with wireless headphones and games controllers, for 170 GBP. Had them fitted a month ago, and they are great! I do recall that the TV Tuner was optional, but didn't take it, as I couldn't (then) afford the extra 40 Quid.... :S

If anyone is interested, I can post some pics, or provide the link to the seller.... :)

Sorry, forgot to add that I am a Brit based in the Czech Republic....

Edited by tony witney

Sorry Bryan, were you responding to my post? If so, I was refering to aftermarket Headrest DVD Players, with optional tuner..... from eBay.

DX NAVIGATION SYS +TV TUNER is listed at €1,120.00 here in Ireland. As the satnav is standard I am guessing this is the price for just the tuner extra?

Sorry Bryan, were you responding to my post? If so, I was refering to aftermarket Headrest DVD Players, with optional tuner..... from eBay.

Nope Tony, was replying to the original posters question about the TV tuner in Columbus :)

• 2 weeks later...