Have you thought about a Re Map

Hi All,

Had a re map done on my Octy MkII VRS, it's great, more power, more torque (As expected I know) and better fuel economy (Not expected). You can't use all the power in first and second, even in the dry the wheels will spin. However sensible driving in those gears and get into third and you have an awsome amount of power and torque. Overtaking is a breeze and on the Motorway, there is no need to change down a gear to pick up speed from about 50 mph, and thats where the fuel savings are made. I am now getting a good 40 to the gallon, recent trip to Cornwall from North Yorkshire. Defo recommend if you can afford £275. Wanna know more??? Ask away fellow Briskodians:D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about it for when warranty runs out.

Projected bhp increase on vanilla VRS?

Other mods required to handle extra power?

Decreased life on other components?

Warranty for remap?

Effect on Skoda Warranty?

Easily changed?

Well known company?

Other customer views/reviews?

Any gurantees?

Very true, I'm in my last year of my warranty and was worried about that. So I went along to my local Skoda dealer, told them about it and they are happy; warranty not affected. So for any one wanting it done, check out your dealer, or wait till the warranty has run out.

Ok Rhoobarb some replies:

Projected bhp increase on vanilla VRS? Increased to 256bhp

Other mods required to handle extra power? I haven't fitted any, I just use my right foot :-)

Decreased life on other components? This will depend on how you drive of course, thrash any car and it will wear out quicker.

Warranty for remap? The company I used, retain your original mapping, and will reverse the remap and give you your money back if your not happy.

Effect on Skoda Warranty? My Dealer was ok with it.

Easily changed? See above, but yes.

Well known company? I used Hex-up, they use German mapping and specilise in the VAG

Other customer views/reviews? Check out the websites.

Any gurantees? Money back and returned to original if not happy.

Insurance can be an issue - many companies (especially the 'discount insurers') won't insure anything other than an unmodified car.

Personally I would go with one of the 'big name' VAG re-mappers such as REVO. Also consider that there are one or two Skoda dealers who are Revo agents (Rainworth and Horton spring to mind) and it might be an idea to go to them - could 'smooth the way' if there are any subsequent warranty repairs needed.

The issue with using all the power in first and second can vary, when i first did Bluefin stage 1 i had the 17" Zeniths with the standard tyres (continental) and it was terrible in the wet and only a little better in the dry, ESP light on a lot of the time.

later I changed to the 18" Zeniths and Dunlop sport maxx tyres. In the wet there is still a limit to how much you can put down but in the dry and on a good road surface i can get a full run through the revs in 1st and 2nd without noticabley losing traction. Feels bloody rapid :D

Still though, you dont often blast a car in 1st and second in normal driving so i dont think most people would notice it.

Hi All,

Had a re map done on my Octy MkII VRS, it's great, more power, more torque (As expected I know) and better fuel economy (Not expected). You can't use all the power in first and second, even in the dry the wheels will spin. However sensible driving in those gears and get into third and you have an awsome amount of power and torque. Overtaking is a breeze and on the Motorway, there is no need to change down a gear to pick up speed from about 50 mph, and thats where the fuel savings are made. I am now getting a good 40 to the gallon, recent trip to Cornwall from North Yorkshire. Defo recommend if you can afford £275. Wanna know more??? Ask away fellow Briskodians:D

Had my last octy remapped @ Star Performance.No probs with car at all.Difference with new software is it doesnt add to the flash counter.Therfor dealers wouldnt know,unless you upgraded your DV to a shiny new Forge one.:DMy car is now out of warranty and im going to go back to Star.Hes havin a sale:rofl:

I'd been pondering for quite a while about a remap for my 2005 1.9tdi Elegance. Decide to take the plunge after reading up various posts both on here and other websites. Had the remap done 3 weeks ago by Ben @ MAS Performance based near Keighley. Spoke to him a couple of times before booking the appointment with various questions. He came out to my place of work, remap took approx an hour and a half, we then went for a quick spin and all I can say is WOW!!! - I'd told him I didn't want the remap purely for performance but more like half performance half ecomony. I've now had the pleasure of 3 weeks since it was done and all I can say is why didn't I have it done before? It's like driving a new car. 1st and 2nd gear are good but 3rd, 4th and 5th are superb, I think it's more the improved torque that's impressed me the most. On my daily commute "uphill and down dale" from Huddersfield to Bingley I'm now averaging 59mpg (yes I know the computer is optimistic) compared to 51mpg before. Also there are very few safe over taking places on my route but with the remap these are now a doddle. I can't stop smiling whilst driving my "new" car and would recommend it to anyone still wondering whether to go down this "modification".

Ok Rhoobarb some replies:

I used Hex-up, they use German mapping and specilise in the VAG

Hex-up ... oh boy, that's another one to add to my potential list!

OK Stu, what made you choose them over any of the other possible providers eg Superchips, Revo, P-torque?

Also I see from the Hex-up website that they offer mobile service. So, did they come to you or did you go to them? What difference did/does this make to the pricing or the versatility of the offering eg RR?

256bhp seems like an awfully big hike over a vanilla engine ie with no other mods? What were you running at before the remap and did they give you a RR confirmation?

One other thing - can't see whether you're running diesel or gasoline?

For a minute I thought the clock had turned back three years :rolleyes: ...................................... there is sooo much information on here about remaps for the 2.0 TFSI from all the major players and some of the lesser known ones too but one thing I can say without fear is that you aint got a cat in hells chance of achieving the kind of power hike the tuners claim with just a remap.

At BEST you'll have a smooth progressive remap pushing out around 230bhp and 290lbs/ft (or an increase of around 30bhp and 50lbs/ft respectively) but I've seen it on too many occasions now that it goes without saying you get what you pay for.

Loads of examples from RR Days at JKM from VW, SEAT and Skoda here and several more from Awesome GTi here :)

Edited by Makefish

Thanks for the info :thumbup:

My main hope was better fuel economy.more than extra power (although the extra power would be a plus)

Seriously considering it if the fuel economy has a higher saving over the possible insurance hike for having it done.

Is bluefin considered a remap or is it classed as something else? I like the idea of having a blue 'go faster' box lol

For a minute I thought the clock had turned back three years ...................................... there is sooo much information on here about remaps for the 2.0 TFSI from all the major players and some of the lesser known ones too but one thing I can say without fear is that you aint got a cat in hells chance of achieving the kind of power hike the tuners claim with just a remap.

At BEST you'll have a smooth progressive remap pushing out around 230bhp and 290lbs/ft (or an increase of around 30bhp and 50lbs/ft respectively) but I've seen it on too many occasions now that it goes without saying you get what you pay for.

Loads of examples from RR Days at JKM from VW, SEAT and Skoda here and several more from Awesome GTi here

Was just gonna tell him that aswell :rolleyes: However Steve its an increase of around 80lb/ft as standard torque is 207lb/ft :P

The most i have seen from JUST a map was 232bhp and 292lb/ft unless you go to Hofmeisters local rolling road :P you then get whatever you want :rofl::rofl: (just kidding hof don't take it personally :P)

VRS Stu: if you highlight my sig you will see what i have done to my Octy 2 vRS and i only get 257bhp and just over 300lb/ft

Rhoobarb: Bluefin is considered a Remap

Carl:thumbup:

Edited by Mater

I'm definitely thinking about remapping my car... Based on Mattcarter's comments on the improvement with the same engine as I have it definitely seems like the way to go. The only difficulty for me is finding someone reputable in the west of Ireland to do the job.

Has anyone an idea of what power/torque the 1.9 PD should be able to go to without compromising reliability - Most of the car's use is urban commuting during the week, with longer open road runs on the weekends, so better fuel economy for town and quicker overtaking on the open road are the aims.

I've heard a kit exists that allows the TDi engines to rev to 6000 rpm. Is there any benefit to doing this to a diesel?

Are any of the car's other electronics are likely to be affected by the remap - traction control for example?

Insurance can be an issue - many companies (especially the 'discount insurers') won't insure anything other than an unmodified car.

Personally I would go with one of the 'big name' VAG re-mappers such as REVO. Also consider that there are one or two Skoda dealers who are Revo agents (Rainworth and Horton spring to mind) and it might be an idea to go to them - could 'smooth the way' if there are any subsequent warranty repairs needed.

Does going through Rainworth or Hortons help out with insurance quotes? Was told a while ago (admittedly by a Ford dealer, so a large pinch of salt may be needed) that as long as it was a dealer modification then your insurance company would be ok with it. To my mind it depends what the modification is, but wondered what peoples experiences were.........

Somebody mentioned the manufactuer warranty being completely unaffected by a remap. Do we have to go through that one again as well? :D

Where's Shifty? :rubchin: ;)

Steve

I have to agree with Mater and Makefish having recently done this myself. No way is a simple remap going to give anywhere near 256 bhp. I still think you can go in for a remap wise to this but knowing that even something approaching an extra 30 bhp is still a very notable performance improvement and probably the best 'bang for the buck' improvement. Additionally, it is the most non-invasive in that it doesn't mean ripping enging covers off or bolting anything on which will affect warranty for sure. Definately worth it!

On the subject, there are a couple of things that I would like to see which may be on the forum but I have missed them...

The first one is comparable rolling road stats for different simple/1st stage remaps i.e. from different remap companies. I don't doubt that some of the more popular remapping companies may offer something more but I haven't seen any real evidence that a £500 remap is better than say the £275 remap that VRS Stu mentions when it is also a custom rather than a generic 'one size fits all' map (and if there is, is it worth the extra £225?)

The second, still on the 'bang for buck' theme is a comparison of the cost of different mods vs. bhp so that a £ per bhp can be calculated

e.g.1: a £275 remap gives, say 30 bhp increase meaning £9.17 per bhp

e.g. 2 a £320 EVOMS gives say 7 bhp increase meaning £45.71 per bhp

or a £3000 new big turbo gives 30 bhp on a remapped car meaning £100 per bhp

I am not wanting to be contentious here, just genuinely interested.

Edited by muckipup
typos

I'll add here for those posters that talk about getting fuel economy as a reason (or justification!) for getting the remap, with a remap alone I didn't notice much in the way of difference, certainly no worse anyway, but now i've got an EVOMS induction kit fitted the economy is much improved.

I'm definitely thinking about remapping my car... Based on Mattcarter's comments on the improvement with the same engine as I have it definitely seems like the way to go. The only difficulty for me is finding someone reputable in the west of Ireland to do the job.

Has anyone an idea of what power/torque the 1.9 PD should be able to go to without compromising reliability - Most of the car's use is urban commuting during the week, with longer open road runs on the weekends, so better fuel economy for town and quicker overtaking on the open road are the aims.

I've heard a kit exists that allows the TDi engines to rev to 6000 rpm. Is there any benefit to doing this to a diesel?

Are any of the car's other electronics are likely to be affected by the remap - traction control for example?

Hi, there is a place on the N17 just below Claregalway, if you are heading north from Galway they are in on the right roughly around the rugby training pitches. I can't think of the name but if it comes to me, I will let you know.

Just on the Revo website and they have a dealer in Cregboy near Galway, Tightrope Technologies. Is that the one? Revo Technik Dealers in UK

Is there an increased risk of failing MOT/NCT emissions tests after a remap - presumably there has to be some downside or the engines would just ship with the remap power as standard?

Anyone had a 105 BHP done?? and what improvements did you notice especially in fuel consumption.

there is no need to change down a gear to pick up speed from about 50 mph (quote)

There is no need to change down at all at that speed in any of the variants.

I have found mine goes around roundabouts in 4rth if nowts coming

Anyone had a 105 BHP done?? and what improvements did you notice especially in fuel consumption.

Tony (Fluffmeister) has had his vRoomster 105 re-mapped, and is very happy with the results. Have a search round posts by him and you should find some related posts/threads from him.

Steve