RAF Waddington Air Show Sunday 5th July 2009

Have to say I felt totally inadequate with my Panasonic Z28 in the company of guys with 2 SLRs each with hooking great lenses.

Having said that, I was safe in the knowledge that mine cost me just over £200, and their gear probably cost more than my car !

P1020406.jpg

P1020421.jpg

P1020438.jpg

P1020443.jpg

P1020456.jpg

P1020462.jpg

P1020469.jpg

P1020493.jpg

P1020500.jpg

P1020488.jpg

P1020503.jpg

P1020505.jpg

P1020508.jpg

P1020541.jpg

P1020557.jpg

P1020567.jpg

P1020581.jpg

P1020596.jpg

P1020600.jpg

P1020601.jpg

Some good captures there - well done.....

Now on to your comment below -

"Have to say I felt totally inadequate with my Panasonic Z28 in the company of guys with 2 SLRs each with hooking great lenses.

Having said that, I was safe in the knowledge that mine cost me just over £200, and their gear probably cost more than my car !"

You are right - it probably was more than your car (the lens hood alone for my 500f4 cost double the price of the fz28). But there is a reason, the shots will be sharp and have decent colours unlike the stuff your Panasonic is producing (even re sized this small, they are of pretty poor quality.

It's not your fault, you have some good captures, it is just a shame that the quality is p-poor and hasn't rewarded your efforts.

SO stop harping on about how good the panasonic is - it aint really in the grander scheme of things.

SO stop harping on about how good the panasonic is - it aint really in the grander scheme of things.

My humble apologies, sir :rolleyes:

I shall consider myself well and truly b0ll0cked, and hang my head in shame :o

You are right - it probably was more than your car (the lens hood alone for my 500f4 cost double the price of the fz28). But there is a reason, the shots will be sharp and have decent colours unlike the stuff your Panasonic is producing (even re sized this small, they are of pretty poor quality.

It's not your fault, you have some good captures, it is just a shame that the quality is p-poor and hasn't rewarded your efforts.

Sorry mate that is a wee tad out of order, there is C&C and then there is Willy waving. For what it is worth Bryan I thought the majority of your photos where pretty damned good for a P&S and know some folks with more expensive gear who would be more than happy with them, top job with your resources fella.

Thanks for sharing the pics Bryan. Seeing these has reminded me to download mine tonight. I'll post a few if they are any good.

Even without the Vulcan we enjoyed the show on Sunday. SWMBO says she wants her own Apache - not sure what she's planning to use it for!

For the kit used they are cracking shots, be proud of them !.

I have a little Panasonic Lumix (T6Z) of my own (as well as a few grands worth of Canon kit) and I swear there are times when the compact out performs the SLR and it's a damn site easier to carry around and a lot less obvious, will try and post a few I took with it at the weekend in a new thread.

Alan

Lovely pics.

About to post mine up from Saturday!

Unfortunately, I didn't get anything like as lose to the runway as you!!

Did you have as much trouble as us getting in and out of the car park? We queued from 7 miles away (at 9am) and took us just over an hour to do those last few miles! Worst thing was that my sister in laws family followed us all the way until the signs for the show started to appear. We then followed the signs for the public car park, they followed their sat-nav. They got there 40 minutes before us!

Getting out was worse - took 1 1/2 hours just to leave the car park!!!

Lovely pics.

About to post mine up from Saturday!

Unfortunately, I didn't get anything like as lose to the runway as you!!

Did you have as much trouble as us getting in and out of the car park? We queued from 7 miles away (at 9am) and took us just over an hour to do those last few miles! Worst thing was that my sister in laws family followed us all the way until the signs for the show started to appear. We then followed the signs for the public car park, they followed their sat-nav. They got there 40 minutes before us!

Getting out was worse - took 1 1/2 hours just to leave the car park!!!

I didn't actually go onto the base - I only live just over a mile away from the base, so I biked down and sat on the grass verge on the A15 :thumbup:

I feel sorry for anyone travelling by car to get there. We had the same problem years ago when my late father used to take us to Finningley.

thanks for the views great pictures and great memories, Served in the RAF in the 70s and was lucky enough to work on the Lancaster for a year doing airframe stuff. The pilot at the time Jacko Jackson offered us a flight which was not refused so flew a practice air show display sat in the tail turret over Conningsby. All I had was a Brownie 127? but still had some pics of the Spit sadly the Hurricane went tech on the ground. I have nothing but admiration for those tail gunners during WW2. Its good to know that 33 yrs on and twice as old it is still flying. Also worked on the Vulcans at Scampton and Waddington, the sight and sound of 4 of those taking off one after another during exercises was one of a number of great moments

Edited by sicknote
my spelling

It's sometimes when you get that irritating nagging itch that you just have to slap.

Time and time again I'm having the Panasonic rep ramming it down our throats. I never criticized his picture taking ability - just asked him to lay off the Panasonic promotion on every thread. I'm glad he felt happy that he only spent a couple of hundred quid, the fact remains that the kit is letting him down.

If you do not like my comments, you can always ignore them. :thumbup:

and I swear there are times when the compact out performs the SLR and it's a damn site easier to carry around and a lot less obvious, will try and post a few I took with it at the weekend in a new thread.

Alan

Prove it..... Post some shots where your compact out performed your couple of grands worth of slr kit. (If the SLR kit was being used correctly).

I am not that easily pleased, and nor are my clients. Why can't you accept that compacts while OK the quality sucks and they are not very versatile/quick/controllable.

Anyway, I'm outa here - those that know me fell free to PM me if any advice is needed.

No more Skoda - so no more Briskoda, it's been a pleasure knowing you all.

Ta Ta

It's sometimes when you get that irritating nagging itch that you just have to slap.

Time and time again I'm having the Panasonic rep ramming it down our throats. I never criticized his picture taking ability - just asked him to lay off the Panasonic promotion on every thread. I'm glad he felt happy that he only spent a couple of hundred quid, the fact remains that the kit is letting him down.

If you do not like my comments, you can always ignore them. :thumbup:

So who's the Panasonic rep then ?

I generally respond to those who aren't looking at being supposed semi-professional photographers, and, therefore, don't want to spend inordinate amounts of hard-earned on an SLR. They equally get plagued by responses quoting this SLR and that SLR blah blah blah, not realising that it's not just about buying a camera and standard lens for £450, but the thousands to get a decent zoom etc etc.

I sing the praises of the Z28 for those keen amateurs who want convenience, decent zoom range, and IMO good amateur quality pictures.

I am more than happy with the results I get, and, judging from most of the comments, (present company excluded) so are most other mere mortals.

temper, temper Mr Scuff :rofl:

i thought your shots were pretty damn good, brymar, and not just for a P&S :thumbup:

several grands worth of kit is all very nice but if you haven't got the skill the results are never gonna be great. you can spend 200k on a Ferrari, it doesn't make you Michael Schumacher :rolleyes:

Mark

Edited by m17rkj

Good shots, Bryan :thumbup:

Just my twopennyworth - from my experience with the Panny I'd call it a 90 percentile camera.

In other words in 90% of real-life situations it will take pretty good piccies. My older Fuji was something like a 60 percentile.

OK, it won't match a DSLR for ultimate output but for price, convenience and on and on it is a cracking camera.

BTW Bryan, you do realise I've just used up a month's bandwidth looking at your piccies :P

Good shots, Bryan :thumbup:

Thanks very much :)

Just my twopennyworth - from my experience with the Panny I'd call it a 90 percentile camera.

In other words in 90% of real-life situations it will take pretty good piccies. My older Fuji was something like a 60 percentile.

OK, it won't match a DSLR for ultimate output but for price, convenience and on and on it is a cracking camera.

I agree that the Z28 will not quite match a DSLR, but for the flexibility of what it can do, it is IMO top of the class. And as for control - how many more options could you need on a camera ? If you look at value on a pound for pound basis, I cannot justify the expense of a DSLR, considering the zoom range of the Z28. Sorry - slipped into salesman mode for a moment there :o

BTW Bryan, you do realise I've just used up a month's bandwidth looking at your piccies :P

Sorry - I just thought that if Hedge can post that many.......................only joking, Ian :thumbup:

Not quite sure why Scuff jumped off the deep end, but to describe the quality of the Panny as p*ss poor was, quite frankly, taking the p*ss

• 2 weeks later...

every year i forget that the waddo show is on and low and behold my missis always manages to convice me to go f***ing shopping in lincoln and i get caught up in the tail backs ive not got much hair so pulling it out whilst sitting in traffic is not an option now ive got that off my chest

great pics mate keep it up