Question for Scoutmasters

Hi,

After 5 years and 80,000 miles of trouble free motoring from my Fabia vRS I'm considering a new Octavia Scout TDi as a replacement. I need something a bit bigger which will cope with my increasing and aged frame, and which can cope with the dreadful state of the roads. My question is, apart from the visible bits and 4x4, what's the real difference between a Scout and a normal Octavia TDi? The Scout is 4-wheel drive, with a higher ground clearance - but is it really tougher than a standard Octavia? Is the suspension, drive train, trim and occupant accommodation more robust to justify the higher price? I also assume that a Scout will reliably deliver 100,000 miles.

Many thanks.

I'll leave Scout owners to answer your queries.

But IMHO you must take a long test drive in both the Scout and the vRS. The feel and drive in the Scout are very different to what you've become used to in your Furby. I tried long test drives in both and came to the view I couldn't live without the sportier feel and performance of the vRS

i gave my Fabia Vrs to my daughter and bought my wife a scout(2007 tdi)

you will notice the scout is not a racer- - performance is adequate. it is heavier as well.

on the good side-the space available is enormous- the ride is good and the handling is

excellent- i took it to the limit on tight right hander with a 911 behind and he backed of first- economy we get around 6.6 l/100 - about 43 mpg- mostly hilly driving

it can do some off the beaten track work down leafy lanes or fields and has the added security in winter- all in all pricey but a well built hold all - marks out 10 - 8.5

:D

I agree with Mars4lux . I am sure that the VRs is an excellent car on normal roads , but if you are spending that kind of money and do not have the luxury of owning more than one type of car then the Scout ( or 4*4 ) is the most complete car . Secondly , if you live in a country area like N Wales then the Scout is the fastest mode of transport in a safe manner , for it may not be as fast as a VRs but can maintain 60 mph even around tight bends .

I well remember a journey home from Bala in a Mk1 4*4 when a police Volvo estate V70 followed me for twenty miles and simply could not keep up except by breaking the speed limit on the straight parts of the road , and I did not have to cross the white line once .

Steve W

Does the Scout 1.9TDi have a 6-speed manual box, or does it stick with the 5-speed as found in the standard Octavia?

Also, is the 1.6CR TDi going to replace the 1.9TDi in the Scout as well?

I can't see why it shouldn't, and would strike me as a no-brainer in creating a much more frugal light utility / family vehicle where the Scout appears to fare less well in economy than the standard counterpart with the same engine.

I thought all Mk2 Octavias were 6 speed?

News to me, but I like the idea of a 6th gear for motorway driving on the 1.6CR TDi! :)

I thought 6-speeders on the standard Octy were only available with the 2-litre diesels and the 1.4 TSI.

I thought the scout was only available in 2.0 TDi form? - or have they changed that for the facelift?

With regard to suspension our 4x4 option codes identify "2UB = rough-road design" but I'm not sure if that means "beefier" suspension components.

I'll leave Scout owners to answer your queries.

But IMHO you must take a long test drive in both the Scout and the vRS. The feel and drive in the Scout are very different to what you've become used to in your Furby. I tried long test drives in both and came to the view I couldn't live without the sportier feel and performance of the vRS

Same suggestion from me; if you are thinking of forking out the £££££ for a Scout, why not consider a vRS TDI; its certainly quicker, although the sportier ride may not suit your desires.

However, if the Scout is being considered for its elevated driving position and thus being easier to get into, why not wait a while and aim for a Yeti TDI CR170 4x4? This will allow you to "cope with my increasing and aged frame," give you 4x4 ability plus the umph of the PD170 as found in the Octavia vRS.

I'm really thinking this is my best option when I change cars next year (waiting for a hip replacement and all that ;)).

I hope that helps.

News to me, but I like the idea of a 6th gear for motorway driving on the 1.6CR TDi! :)

I thought 6-speeders on the standard Octy were only available with the 2-litre diesels and the 1.4 TSI.

I have an 07 2.0 FSI Elegance that's 6 speed.

I think you're thinking about Mk1's ;)

However, if the Scout is being considered for its elevated driving position and thus being easier to get into, why not wait a while and aim for a Yeti TDI CR170 4x4? This will allow you to "cope with my increasing and aged frame," give you 4x4 ability plus the umph of the PD170 as found in the Octavia vRS.

The same could be said for the standard 4x4 as well - raised ride height (albeit not as high as the Scout), same 4x4 tech but only the 140Tdi, albeit cheaper.

The same could be said for the standard 4x4 as well - raised ride height (albeit not as high as the Scout), same 4x4 tech but only the 140Tdi, albeit cheaper.

I believe that I've read that the Yeti is working off the Octavia Scout floorpan/drivetrain; in other words, ride height will be the same.

If not, I'd expect the Yeti, as a purpose built 4x4/SUV to be higher; yes?

Unless it's in a 4x4 (non-Scout), then you get 6 speeds.
I thought all 4x4 Octys were Scouts? :confused:
I have an 07 2.0 FSI Elegance that's 6 speed.

I think you're thinking about Mk1's ;)

Never looked at the Mk1.

I thought that on the Mk2, all 2L diesels were 6-speed, and the 1.9L 5-speed. Amirite?

So is the new 1.6TDi 5 or 6-speed?