Say hi to Millie!!

Tom_vRS

Well I've wanted a border collie bitch since I was about 10 and growing up with my friends one as a kid, and as I'm now quite settled and financially buoyant, I've taken the plunge and bought one! :)

She's absolutley adorable, really affectionate, full of energy and very attentive. I can see us having a very long and happy relationship!

Only got her yesterday, so its off to the vet on Monday morning for a check up :)

I've read so many books and web pages etc on border collies, but any tips and advice are greatly appreciated!!

Shes only met Joe (3 year old) and they are friends already! :thumbup: Just Haylie and Danny to meet now (7 and 5 years old). :)

I suppose some pics are mandatory! :P

Inbed260709.jpg

InBed.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

:)

I hope you don't try to modify her, or get fed up and trade her in for a faster model.............:D

I can confidently say that won't happen :P

Insurance

Will sort that during the week after she's been to the vets. Most policies require the animal to be 8 weeks old first, Millie is about 6 weeks. :)

And yes, awesome dog! :)

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww she is cuuuuuuuuuuute :):)

Yup echo the comments above. Get insurance

My dog had a Fit and for tests etc alone was near £200. Insurance paid out for that.

Im with More Than (just because that's who i used to have my car insurance with and they did me a deal at the time)

Get her Chipped (not in the go faster sense Tom ;):P) because if she was ever lost and found then a vet/RSPCA can find out who owns her and return her.

Then just make sure she has all her worming,injections etc.

Oh and if you are planning to take her away on holiday with you (say europe on a driving hol) she will need to be Rabied. Quite expensive process i believe in the UK

Cost me near £250 for mine and that was done in Germany

Enjoy life with a life long friend.

Carl:thumbup:

Aww! My mate's got one and is so obedient! Whereas my dad's Border Terrier will just ignore you unless he thinks it's worth his while!

Hi Tom

Have had Zuki, also a Border Collie for around 10 years. Excellent breed of dog, incredibly intelligent and very quick to learn, loyal and devoted as well.

If you decide to train her, sit, stay, lay, go, walk to heel, come etc........just one of you do it as it makes life far easier for all, including the dog.

As mentioned already, insurance is a must. Zuki is both epileptic & Diabetic and no insurance means very expensive vet bills, plus insulin and other medication.

Lastly, once a little older, look locally for agility classes. They love it and in all honesty I did too.

Whatever you do, enjoy it all and keep us posted with how she's doing.

Lance

cool dogs , very intelligent , need loads of exercise or they dig ..a lot , we had 1 when i was a kid and the garden looked like the somme, neighbour has 1 which did the same.

cool dogs , very intelligent , need loads of exercise or they dig ..a lot , we had 1 when i was a kid and the garden looked like the somme, neighbour has 1 which did the same.

Stimulation more than excercise.

Lucky you. Lovely dogs.

I used to work on farms with them (not personally handling / working them) and they are hugely intelligent and active.

As working dogs we would spend a morning bringing in sheep off the hills, we'd walk 10 miles, they'd run 40.

Have a quick sandwich break, stand up and they'd be at the door raring to go again.

TBH I have doubts about them as "pets" if you work all day. (I always had Labs or GS's, which are equally intelligent, but much, much lazier :) )

As it has been said, they need masses of stimulation and excercise or they get bored and destructive, but if you are prepared to give it to them they'll reward you 1000 times over.

Oh yes, I know they need stimulation and lots of exercise, but theres always someone around to give it some time, with the exception of about 5hrs on a Wednesday when both of us work.

Bad news though, shes had diarrhea since we got her home, so shes been on boiled rice and chicken, but she can't keep anything down. :(

Yesterday she was full of energy, bouncing round the garden etc, but today she's refusing to eat or drink, and is just sleeping in her bed. Off to the vets a 10.20. Been sobbing my heart out, I really hope she's ok. :(

Always check out your insurance cover - you do NOT want one with an annual limit - this means on the anniversary date the condition is first treated the cover for that condition expires. these are great for small vet bills like cuts and the like. But cover for any long term illness like Arthritis, Diabetes, etc would end after the 12 months is reached.

Find out as much as possible and read reviews of the companies on the internet; but remember (it's the same with this forum) the vast majority of people comment when they have a problem with something. In the case of pet insurance the most common declines are due to conditions already present before the policy inception and dental exclusions. Generally pet insurance does not pay out for costs related to tooth/gum disease and these costs can get quite extensive.

Also make sure you are confident in your vets - if you don't like the vets you've been to today there are many others around. Also (again) the vast majority of drugs can be bought online with a prescription from your vets - this can work out a hell of a lot cheaper - this includes flea and worming txs. Do not buy them from your local supermarket as they are nowhere near as good, hence the lower price.

Finally many congratulations - dogs are wonderful pets to have. The first few days of owning a dog are the most stressful when you haven't done it before as there is a lot to think about and get used to. Give her a hug and a treat from me and have fun

Any questions do ask us

Thanks everyone.

Well shes a poorly dog. :( Vet is keeping her in as shes getting dehydrated. Theres a tiny bit of blood in her poo too, although her pee is normal. Should have the result of the parvo test within the hour.

I've sobbed my heart out :( , fingers crossed she'll pull through. I'm confident she's in the best possible hands and we've done everything we possibly can.

Hope she is ok mate.

I had something similar with my dog when i got her. She was only 3 weeks old ( the shop told us she was 10 :mad:)

She didn't eat properly for 2 days so took her the Vet. They kept her in (after informing us of her age) and 2 days later she was as right as ninepence.

When she comes out Tom get a piece of cheap chicken breast. Boil it then give her half one day and half the day after and she will hopefully be ok and back to normal. That's what the vet told me to do with my dog.

Hope it's all sorted soon mate

Carl:thumbup: