New company car - thoughts so far on Superb

Such

I have narrowed down my car choice to a Superb CR170 Elegance or BMW 320i Msport Business Edition, with leather, sat nav package, adaptive lights package & a few minor extras.

I hadn't even considered a skoda until last week when I popped into my local dealer to have a look at the yeti, and really suprised myself (& the missus).

I have one for 2 days to help me make up my mind.

After covering 150 miles today I really like the space inside. I did fnd the interior somewhat dull in black and although the elegance has lots of kit, it did seem kind of sparse inside, if you exclude the sat nav unit.

The sound system is quite good, although the doors tend to rattle when the volume is turned up and the treble at the front is very harsh on the ears even with the treble toned down

I could not get the unit to play my SD card as it came up with SD card error - check card? The card is a 4GB SDHC type. Do these type work?

The kids like it, even managed to get a smallish BMX in the back thanks to the twindoor!

However, my wife does not like the look of it and cannot get past the skoda thing!

The drive on the BMW is much more involving and always puts a smile on my face

My heart says go for the BMW, my head the Superb.........

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you expecting us to say you should buy the BMW on a Skoda forum ? I've had a Superb for a while and really liked it. It's a big car as you've found out by now but it handles well and is spacious. The stereo can be changed and/or fine tuned. Not sure about the card thing, though. It also got comments about its rear looking like a Hyundai Accent...

I could not get the unit to play my SD card as it came up with SD card error - check card? The card is a 4GB SDHC type. Do these type work?

2GB SD Cards are the limit on the Columbus, but I think the Bolero unit can handle your card, strangely enough.

The Superb will give you better economy, more room (much more!), more practicality, plus you can actually use it in bad weather. The BMW will, perhaps, be more exciting, possibly have better residuals (not yet certain) and has more snob appeal to the badge conscious.

With an ivory interior, the difference is amazing, seems even bigger. If it's a "heart v head" situation, good luck. :)

Ray

Had six Skoda,s, only one gave me problems to speak of.

3 BMW's two of which were unreliable one had to have a new back panel and bonnet at 4.5 years old due to severe corrosion then the electrics started playing up, the other was so bad mechanically I got rid of it after only three months.

Second the winter thing, lost count of the number of Germany's finest abandoned in the snow as I went past in a Corsavan this last winter.

I know how you feel...

The Superb is the best car on the market if you look at it value for money-wise. There is no going around that, you would have to be a complete and utter idiot not to look at it, twice, before buying anything else (in that class). That's what makes your head hurt, because it is - unfortunately - not a car which moves you in any other way.

Having said that: there isn't a good reason in the world why you would prefer a 320 above the Superb. Unless you're one of those "amateur-racing-drivers" who won't go for front wheel drive... The 320 is truly a tiny car and as value-for-money goes, it isn't all that brilliant. Yes, it still is German, but hey, guess what: so is the Skoda!

I went for the Superb, after a lot of hard thinking, and I'll be brutally honest: best decision in years! I chose my previous car with my "heart": a (IMHO) stunning Alfa Romeo GT, and hated about 2 of the 4 years I drove in it. Yes, it looked good. Yes, it drove pretty well too. But in the end, it was an unreliable, tiny, crappy car.

Do yourself a favor (especially when you have kids): go for the Superb, I guarantee you will not regret it. ;)

PS: the car looks even more spacious and luxurious with the ivory interior, here's mine: http://www.skodaforum.nl/board/album.php?albumid=190

PPS: if you're a fan of "sporty" driving, I can recommend the DSG and the lowered suspension...

Edited by cloink
PS'es

Buy the Superb prise the badges off and stick BMW ones on then put a rear spoiler on the back, your wife will probably love it then! an Octavia is bigger (internally) than a BMW320i so what about a VRS?

My wife didn't like the bmw too much either! Now I never even considered a VRS...

something else to think about.....

I know how you feel...

The Superb is the best car on the market if you look at it value for money-wise. There is no going around that, you would have to be a complete and utter idiot not to look at it, twice, before buying anything else (in that class). That's what makes your head hurt, because it is - unfortunately - not a car which moves you in any other way.

Having said that: there isn't a good reason in the world why you would prefer a 320 above the Superb. Unless you're one of those "amateur-racing-drivers" who won't go for front wheel drive... The 320 is truly a tiny car and as value-for-money goes, it isn't all that brilliant. Yes, it still is German, but hey, guess what: so is the Skoda!

I went for the Superb, after a lot of hard thinking, and I'll be brutally honest: best decision in years! I chose my previous car with my "heart": a (IMHO) stunning Alfa Romeo GT, and hated about 2 of the 4 years I drove in it. Yes, it looked good. Yes, it drove pretty well too. But in the end, it was an unreliable, tiny, crappy car.

Do yourself a favor (especially when you have kids): go for the Superb, I guarantee you will not regret it. ;)

PS: the car looks even more spacious and luxurious with the ivory interior, here's mine: Skodaforum.nl - cloink's Album: Superb2 2.0 TDI (PD) DSG Elegance

PPS: if you're a fan of "sporty" driving, I can recommend the DSG and the lowered suspension...

Certainly looks better with the ivory interior. What steering wheel is that you have there?

Hi, just listening in,I have just bought a superb 1.9tdi s in silver now is the start model and looked at the se and the top spec,I have tested the seat exeo mondeo and a merc c class not new and I love the superb just done a round trip of 300miles alton towers and back and it was bliss put the wife in her place tell her not to be a snob and save loads of money and by her a new dress or take her on holiday beacause thats the kind of money you can save!!!!!:thumbup:

I have narrowed down my car choice to a Superb CR170 Elegance or BMW 320i Msport Business Edition, with leather, sat nav package, adaptive lights package & a few minor extras.

I hadn't even considered a skoda until last week when I popped into my local dealer to have a look at the yeti, and really suprised myself (& the missus).

I have one for 2 days to help me make up my mind.

After covering 150 miles today I really like the space inside. I did fnd the interior somewhat dull in black and although the elegance has lots of kit, it did seem kind of sparse inside, if you exclude the sat nav unit.

The sound system is quite good, although the doors tend to rattle when the volume is turned up and the treble at the front is very harsh on the ears even with the treble toned down

The kids like it, even managed to get a smallish BMX in the back thanks to the twindoor!

However, my wife does not like the look of it and cannot get past the skoda thing!

The drive on the BMW is much more involving and always puts a smile on my face

My heart says go for the BMW, my head the Superb.........

Sometimes you need to follow your head and not your heart

As this is a company car, look at the costs and what the lovely Tax man will hit you for, compared with the dinner your wife will/may cook

Skoda price = £23K

BMW price = £30K

Petrol Vs Diesel costs

Then the emissions, Skoda wins hands down

A lot of people are surprised with the Superb, but in the end it's your choice and you need to think what you want to drive

And with the kids in the back, unless they are huge they won't kick the front seats

Edited by erniem

I find that you can get a lot of music on a 2gb card so a bigger card is probably not really needed anyway,, not unless the new generation columbus can play video off an sd card.

I had three Saab 9-5s in a row (9 years-worth) before my Superb. For long distance comfort, the Superb wins hands down. The family all reckon the climate control was better in the Saab (I do too), but no-one grumbled at all about the comfort over a 600 mile day. Believe you me, no grumbling from my family says a lot!

Sometimes you need to follow your head and not your heart

As this is a company car, look at the costs and what the lovely Tax man will hit you for, compared with the dinner your wife will/may cook

Skoda price = £23K

BMW price = £30K

Petrol Vs Diesel costs

Then the emissions, Skoda wins hands down

A lot of people are surprised with the Superb, but in the end it's your choice and you need to think what you want to drive

And with the kids in the back, unless they are huge they won't kick the front seats

Finally made up my mind and ordered the BMW today.:)

Was a really hard decision, but as I drive mostly on my own 90% of the time, I can sacrifice the extra space.

As far as company car tax is concerned, the BMW comes in at 17% for the petrol model, so although its much more expensive, it works out slightly less than the Superb. I reimburse my private mileage at a flat rate per mile, so fuel costs do not really come into it.

I saw the BMW in the exact same spec yesterday, and thought it looked really good. I was still unsure if I could like the superb for 2-3 years as it was not an instant hit in the looks dept.

I guess I'm fortunate to be in a position where I've always had a choice of company car, I only need to worry about the taxman. If, however, I was using my own money for a purchase - then The Superb would win hands down as you get alot for less and I would begrudge paying nearly £30k when £20K ish would really suffice

Thanks for all your comments and stay HAPPY:D:D

Good choice, and also good on you for even considering a skoda.

To be honest with a bmw in that spec the skoda hardly stood a chance, unless space was your requirement. One of my mates has a 320 in m-spec and it's really nice, and drives v.well. If his kids were 6 foot rather than 6 years old things might be different, talking of which, if someone would just buy me a car, rather than using my own money.....

I did consider this but its only a 2 seater in the back :eek:- that's if it's a passat cc. Nice looking car:thumbup:

I was just thinking - if anyone was a candidate for an Audi, Such, it's you. But good luck with the BMW: fine cars and I love my old Y-registered Z3 which is my 'fun car'.

I had several long runs in a 320d and desperately wanted to like it: eventually I couldn't get a comfortable driving position (at 5' 7"I have an average size body and shortish legs, and I had to be too near the steering wheel to operate the clutch comfortably). But if it suits you you'll have a great time with it. I hope your wife has a FWD car for when it snows....

I am sad:mad:, bmw are for coc*s, the superb would have been a fantastic company car, think for a while ,you would have stood out in the crowd , brave,forthright,honest and a man with passion:rotz:.

Rather than running with the rest of the coc*s ,you missed a chance you'll be sitting in the company car park in the beamer with all the rest of them and you will have your moment "wish I taken the superb" but your time will come

:orb_loser