Handbrake cable issue on my VRS

fireman

Did this today using 1K0615295 and 1K0615296 springs.

I found an easy way to fit the springs:

Before going under the car, load up the springs and hold them in their tensioned position with a cable tie (takes a fairly hefty cable tie).

2012-03-17134525.jpg

The springs then just slot into place and you can cut the cable tie off.

Job done with no pinched fingers!

Handbrake feels a little firmer but still comfortable to use.

My reason for doing this was a small chance of getting an extra 0.5MPG and possibly to stop the handbrake sticking on when the car is put away after washing it. Time will tell...

+1 Exactly how I fitted my 1K0 springs to my Octy vrs a few months ago. I have noticed that the handbrake cable end yoke tension adjuster (behind handbrake), under tension, pulls evenly (not slanted to one side relative to direction of pull).

NB: Since taking that pic' the lower spring arm has been pulled forward to drop into the notch at the end of the slot.

Springfitted.jpg

just to report, i haven't had any handbrake dragging issues since fitting the Galaxy/Sharan springs nearly 3 years ago

Edited by ric04vrs
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I've just used the above part numbers, I have been quoted £14.93 EACH!? This was at Milton Keynes TPS and Wayside VW

Both stated they would have to be ordered in and not available off the shelf.....

Any ideas why there's such a price increase? or have the part numbers changed. Though the people at the other end both did say retracting springs : /

If anybody is willing to help a fellow briskodian and pick up 2 sets, I can cover any postage costs incurred and send payment via PayPal :D........ but if anybody can shed any light on why I'm getting quoted over £14 that would be great!

cheers

Because its the wrong part your gettinf quoted on. I know this becuase i rang them last night and got told the same thing. Ring them again and give them that part number...

When they say its £14 each go "huh... Strange i orderd some a few month back for my golf and they cost 1.70 each... Can you check the caliper return springs from a golf please?"

Pretty much how my convo went tbh.

• Like 2

Thanks for the help chaps!

Finally got there, basically I forgot to add the (A) at the end! haha

7HO 615 295A

7HO 615 296

should be ready for collection on Friday :D happy days!

I have both the golf springs and the galaxy/sharan springs.

The golf ones are heavy duty and give quite alot more force than the sharan ones.

But... The sharan springs are the correct size and fitment for my 256mm rear brake setup, as the golf ones dont sit correct and kink a little bit when fitted because they have so much force on them even when the handbrake is fully off.

Pm me with any questions :)

• 2 weeks later...

What springs do I need to suit the 256mm upgrade from the mk1 octy vrs?im having some issues with mine sticking on and dunno if i need the same.....

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a skoda dealer today and gave them the below numbers, they showed me the screen which came up saying the items were not on the system...

7HO 615 295A

7HO 615 296

Tried the numbers numerous times, anyone know what model these are off? so i can tell them i want the return springs off that car

If you have some numbers, I'd expect that your VAG dealer would just order them in for you. Now if you are ordering them in from Skoda and that part is not used by Skoda, then you would be out of luck. What you ned to know is what is a 7H0 platform.

I think it would be handy to have all the part numbers and what company they are from in one post but i cant work it out.

Skoda must do them but with a different number

Not necessary, maybe no Skoda models ever used these springs as standard fitment. Remember we are talking about buy a spring that is known to fit/work for a car that never ever had it fitted originally. So, if you can get a spring that works like the Sharan/Galaxy item did, does it matter where you need to buy it to fit to a Skoda? Back at the beginning of this topic, well when it was raised quite a few years ago on this forum, the spring of choice was the Sharan/Galaxy/Alhambra one as it gave the required result with out making the handbrake "heavier". The ones that Skoda might hold could be the same as the heavier one that was fitted to Jetta/Bora - that is if the Octavia ever got these springs fitted to their rear callipers.

Yep i agree with the above, i got both sets of springs. One set from a golf (the heavier springs) and a set from the a sharan which are the correct springs for my calipers (256mm upgrades)

The softer springs from the sharan are more than enough to push my calipers back off.

• 1 month later...

Ok well this seems to big a huge confusion this same idea ha just recantly been brought up on seatcupra.net and te part numbers people have been using are these

Vw parts

V7H0 615 295 A Nearside

V7H0 615 296 Offside

And a link to the topic on there forum

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=370959&page=3