Sumpage!!!

chrisw_vrs

Oh dear :( hit a dip in the road on the way back from trax @ silverstone and it slightly damaged my sump :mad: i was only doing around 40mph as i could see the road was a lil too bumpy for my likeing but the worst still happened!

8824_148079326004_719686004_3907626.jpg

8824_148079306004_719686004_3907623.jpg

8824_148079311004_719686004_3907624.jpg

So we obviously had to have it recovered home

8824_148079366004_719686004_3907631.jpg

Have you not got a cover on the underside of the engine (i'm thinking not, but i have one- thought they were standard??)

They come with a plastic one standard but that got ripped off ages ago and tbh im so glad i didnt have that on because i wouldnt have seen the oil till it was too late and the engine had completely emptied itself of oil before i turned it off but because it wasnt on i saw the oil straight away and pulled over and swithched engine off.

Oh dear. Never good to see cars 'bleeding' :(

Definitely worth looking into a proper guard, running at that height! Surprised you've not come to blows before, or maybe you're blessed with smooth roads in your part of the world. It wouldn't last 5 mins round here, guaranteed.

Problem seems to be with the manufacture of guards is that a couple here and there is an expensive business, as you're going through a whole R&D cycle for not much guaranteed return, in the manufacturer's eyes. Even with the ones that were made, there were issues with how and where it fixed to the car, especially if you ran an FMIC.

Steve

its annoying when this happens.

hope you get it fixed soon, and watch for those dips in the road, i'm on my 3rd sump :D

as for sump guards, you would most likely have to raise the car to get one to fit or it would be forever scraping off the road and if the car was raised you most likely wouldnt need a guard anyway so its a no win situation, you just have to drive with extra care.

Fabias arent that prone to bust sumps compared to other VAG cars.If you look under youll notice the subframe is actually the lowest part.

In saying that im on my 3rd,but in all fairness my sump is a damnsight lower than the above!lol last time i checked i think i had 2.75" clearance.lol

Have you not got a cover on the underside of the engine (i'm thinking not, but i have one- thought they were standard??)

Not A Sumpguard

Plastic Cover = Good For Sealing Of Engine Bay From Standing Water / Dirt :thumbup:

Plastic Cover = Bad Sump Guard :thumbdwn: