Halfords Extreme Brilliance Bulbs

VRSbilly

Thinking of upgrading my new octy to Halfords Extreme Brilliance Bulbs.

Anyone know if its worth the money?

They make much difference?

They claim to be halogen, is this the case? do they compare to actual halogen headlamps?

Cheers much alot

I think most of the bulbs you can buy these days are Halogen. I'd be interested in any replies you get to this.

I've seen the thread regarding Philips X-Treme power bulbs and wonder how they compare to these.

I have them in mine, but more through need than choice.

In my last car i had Osram's equivelant bulb (90% i think they were) and they were excellent, so when i got the Fabia i was hanging on untill payday to order some again.

Unfortunatly my bulb blew 3 days after purchase, and i needed some that day, so i got the Halfords bulbs instead.

I have to be honest, they have been impressive. No noticable difference over the osrams except being dearer, but they light up country lanes very well, and i very rarely get flashed unless i'm higher than the approaching car.

You could do alot worse, but they aren't cheap!

These Halfords bulbs have been 2-for-1 for several years!

I had them in a previous car and didn't think they were that great - better than standard, but certainly not as good as the Philips X-tremes I have at present in my Octavia.

I have seen Philips X-t's for about £19/pair (H7) in a local motor factor, or you can get them for about that on Ebay.

hows about finding someone in the motor trade (like me) and get some 100w or 130w for about £7 a piece!!!! they kick serious **** and if ya headlamps are set perfectly they won't dazzle on dip beam!!! Result!!! instant daylight at night!!!

i have these as my full beam and are brighter to standard full beam bulbs. mine have been in about 2 and a half years now and not need replacing. Did have these in my last car for dip and full and the lighting was excelllent and brighter on the road than in my skoda with xenons.

I have these bulbs fitted into my current car. They do make a difference, and they have been at 2 for 1 for at least 12 months as thats when I bought mine. Make sure you get the right ones, those stupid blue ones have less light output than the standard bulbs.

hows about finding someone in the motor trade (like me) and get some 100w or 130w for about £7 a piece!!!! they kick serious **** and if ya headlamps are set perfectly they won't dazzle on dip beam!!! Result!!! instant daylight at night!!!

A) They are illegal and for off road use only.

B) They will fail MOT so you will have to spend more money getting the 55w bulbs in order to pass.

C) If you have plastic lenses, the extra heat from the brighter bulbs could melt or disfigure the plastic casing, making it even more expensive.

And you don't need to be in the trade to pick up illegal bulbs and fit them, i could go and buy some on my lunch break and fit them myself.

C) If you have plastic lenses, the extra heat from the brighter bulbs could melt or disfigure the plastic casing, making it even more expensive.

This is indeed what happens, the plastic lens in front of the bulb when I tried them started to turn a milky white. I went back to normal bulbs before the lens became to discoloured and I would have needed to replace the whole headlamp.

A) They are illegal and for off road use only.

B) They will fail MOT so you will have to spend more money getting the 55w bulbs in order to pass.

And you don't need to be in the trade to pick up illegal bulbs and fit them, i could go and buy some on my lunch break and fit them myself.

D) If you have plastic reflectors, they can literallly melt the bulb-holders out of the reflectors.

• 4 weeks later...
Lidl do Extra bright bulbs occasionally, 30-40% brighter than standard??

They may not compare with the really expensive ones, but they are £3.99 a pair, and mine have lasted 22 months already; my last set of Extra Brights from Halfords lasted less than 6 months.

Today is the day the offer starts again!

PL

I have these bulbs fitted into my current car. They do make a difference, and they have been at 2 for 1 for at least 12 months as thats when I bought mine. Make sure you get the right ones, those stupid blue ones have less light output than the standard bulbs.

Not true, see above.....

Edited by JFReturns
grammar

Blue coloured bulbs may appear to produce a much better 'whiter' light but they will never produce more intense light. Covering a bulb will never produce more light for a filament bulb. See this site: Daniel Stern Lighting - Safe, Legal, Blue and Daniel Stern Lighting - Superwhites It only works on a Florescent tubes (that how it works) or a new HIR (Halogen Infra-red Reflecting). These are discussed on the first post on here: The Ultimate Bulb Lighting Thread - NASIOC

Before anyone suggests, Retro-fitting HIDs (Xenons) is illegal too, as discussed on here many times.

Edited by Jim H

I just upgraded my Fabia's bulbs to Osram Nightbreakers - supposed to be 90% extra light.

Damn brilliant results, very happy with them.

I got them for £15 for the High beams (h3) from an online store, and £20 for the dipped beams (h7).

If u google, I'm sure u can get the Highbeams for £15 too

The lights are so bright now, I can confidently drive fast at night and see where I'm going!