Whirring noise

I hope someone out there can explain this one...

After unlocking and opening the drivers door on my Octy vRS there is a short (2 seconds at the most) whirring noise - sounds like something is adjusting itself?! :confused:

If you lock it and then unlock again after the first time the whirring noise doesn't happen!

Any thoughts would be most welcome! :)

I'm open to correction, but I wouldn't expect the fuel pump to be activated until the ignition is switched on. Any whirring just associated with opening the door must be to do with the central locking, I would think.

I'm open to correction, but I wouldn't expect the fuel pump to be activated until the ignition is switched on. Any whirring just associated with opening the door must be to do with the central locking, I would think.

The plot thickens!!! :rofl:

Ah, but it's when you open the driver's door, not when you unlock it...and it's only the first time you open the door, if you close it, lock it, unlock it and open it again, it doesn't make the noise...

Rob.

and mine also sounds like a jet engine turbine when I turn the engine off!

might be the radiator fans kicking in? I noticed at the weekend that there are 2 under the bonnet so this could lead to the jet engine roar! :cool:

Isn't one of these for the climate control?

Mine's got two stuck onto the radiator itself I think the climate control cooling element is further down on the left hand side...

Having said that I'm know expert and as a relative 'newbie' am still trying to get use to such a complicated engine!!! (Had a 1.2 corsa before!!!).

Is the fuel pump near the petrol tank? I think I have heard this noise when I have opened the hatch just after switching off the ignition.

EDIT - Sorry forgot I was in the Octy section of the forum - but the above still could apply.

They both cool the same radiator. You need 2 because of the extra heat, when climate is on both fans run all the time.

The thing down on the left hand side - is that the intercooler!!! Looks like a mini silver radiator?!!!

Trust me to open the bonnet... :rofl:

• Administrators

Mine gurgles....I think the initial sound is the air con compressor, or at least I think it is.

The fuel pump theory is to prepare the car? But why on opening I don't know..actually thinking about it mine might, but I unlock and open the boot first so miss it.

Except the gurgling after I switch off.

But why on opening I don't know..actually thinking about it mine might' date=' but I unlock and open the boot first so miss it.

[/quote']

Should still do it...try opening the driver's door and waiting a few seconds before getting in - you should hear it.

If it is the fuel pump, whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be critical - if you get in through the passenger door it doesn't make the noise but the car still starts...

Rob.