I give up on Skoda

It seems like there is still going to be quite a wait for the new vrs. Besides, Skoda aren't really competitively priced anymore, at least not as they used to be eight or nine years ago.

I can't see it being much cheaper, if at all then the Ibiza. I haven't read that much about the new Ibiza but on paper looks great (in a candy white I'd take it over the new fabia, which I also really like). Not sure if it's DSG only but then the vrs will be anyway.

Thought you'd given up on them long ago Mike?! ;)

Yes, it does seem to be taking a while. Then again, look at when the Mk1 Fabia was released, and when the vRS appeared...

Most obvious choice if you need something now, would be the Ibiza in FR or Cupra form.

Steve

With what? The (alleged) new Fabia vRS?

Steve

Yes. Might have got it wrong, but I'm sure someone posted here about stability issues of the mules when driven 'spiritedly'

I know one delay was to do with the new engine now used in the Tiguan and Yeti still being developed, again IIRC.

The handling's a new one on me, I must admit. Last I saw were some thinly disguised mules; the opinion being that they were rather standard on the outside, but perhaps running different track/suspension setups.

Steve

The new Ibiza is a really nice car took one of the econmotives for a test drive the ride and handling are grown up and quiet, the styling is ace and white suits it. Never driven a new Golf but bet they feel pretty similar. Only thing is the coupe (3 door) version has the most ridiculous rear head and leg room you'd have to chop of your arms and legs to sit in the back for any length of time. Also if you have to have the seat up high and forward you feel like your going to hit your head on the roof. Got a feeling the five door would be better in these respects.

I laugh when i Hear all this talk of Fabia 2 vRS, the mk1 came out in 2000 right, we didnt get a vRS until 3 years after, so the Fabia 2 came out in 07 right? well, we can expect the vRS 2 sometime 2010.

Current speculation on the new vRS ranges from issues with one of the engine mounts and problems with the handling and according to a few sources will be the 1.4TSi with DSG only so wont capture anything like the same market segment or buyers the original vRS did.

In short if anyone is expecting a reincarnation of the original vRS running on Satan's fuel they maybe sorely mistaken, but rather than letting speculation take over we will just have to wait and see what happens closer to 2010 as we should hear some sort of press release or dealer news nearer the time.

I laugh when i Hear all this talk of Fabia 2 vRS, the mk1 came out in 2000 right, we didnt get a vRS until 3 years after, so the Fabia 2 came out in 07 right? well, we can expect the vRS 2 sometime 2010.

Current speculation on the new vRS ranges from issues with one of the engine mounts and problems with the handling and according to a few sources will be the 1.4TSi with DSG only so wont capture anything like the same market segment or buyers the original vRS did.

In short if anyone is expecting a reincarnation of the original vRS running on Satan's fuel they maybe sorely mistaken, but rather than letting speculation take over we will just have to wait and see what happens closer to 2010 as we should hear some sort of press release or dealer news nearer the time.

Quiet true. But to assume there is a patten of release due to the old shape fabia is absurd! I cant belive people are even assuming this. If it did come out in 2010 it would be by chance. I Cant see it being priced to low ether the fr ibiza is just under £15k with 150bhp along witht he cupra at £16k for the 180bhp eddition. If it had the same power as the cupra (i doubt that) it would have to price it self way down on the cupra. But that may steal a percentage of the FR's sales. Espically as its sure to be a 5dr! Ether way i cant see it to be the bargain it once was. That and its looks, cant match the ibiza. Or the badge.... Tricky one really :(

I Cant see it being priced to low ether the fr ibiza is just under £15k with 150bhp along witht he cupra at £16k for the 180bhp eddition. If it had the same power as the cupra (i doubt that) it would have to price it self way down on the cupra. But that may steal a percentage of the FR's sales. Espically as its sure to be a 5dr! Ether way i cant see it to be the bargain it once was. That and its looks, cant match the ibiza. Or the badge.... Tricky one really :(

Agreed. I think Skoda will really have to pull something out of the bag either on price, or the car itself, or both. I personally think the original vrs was a bit of a blip. Skoda are not really about these types of cars. Either SEAT or maybe the polo gti coming out in a few months (which incidentally shares the same setup as the ibiza cupra apparantly)

The only thing I'm not so sure about with any of these cars if the DSG. I think there is no manual on any of them.

I think the timeframe that occured with the Octy2 vRS is getting people a bit more excited, as to possible release dates. As it only took them about a year to bring that out, from the release of the Mk2. But then again the engine and setup to aim for was already present, with the Mk5 Golf GTi. But with the Fabia/Ibiza/Polo and their use of the 1.4 unit, the waters are a bit unchartered, which is why it's probably taking longer :)

Steve

Dunno, I posted something similar on the MkI fabia forum. I'm giving up on Skoda, I don't like the look of the MkII Fabia (sorry guys sure it's just as good if not better than the MkI it's just not for me), and I test drove MkII Octy VRS with DSG and thought it was gutless. There is no way I would consider a small warm hatch with DSG, that's just taking out the fun of slapping it through the gears.

IMO the seat range Ibiza/Leon etc date very quickly, so I'm not that interested in them, and the VW's and just overpriced, which is why I got the furby in the first place.

And btw the last I heard VRS accounted for 10% of the MkI Fabia sales in the UK. So if they aren't doing a similar MkII version, seems a lot of sales to lose.

I ve seen a few of the new Ibizas about now, and like the rest of the Seat range I feel its hideously ugly:eek:... they just seem so overstyled. I think Skoda have it right by not making a performance Fabia, there are loads of fast cars around and the Fabia doesnt look fast at all, I think they should stick to making cars for people like me who are too tight to buy a VW/Audi:D

I ve seen a few of the new Ibizas about now, and like the rest of the Seat range I feel its hideously ugly:eek:... they just seem so overstyled. I think Skoda have it right by not making a performance Fabia, there are loads of fast cars around and the Fabia doesnt look fast at all, I think they should stick to making cars for people like me who are too tight to buy a VW/Audi:D

Well said mate :thumbup:

It seems like there is still going to be quite a wait for the new vrs. Besides, Skoda aren't really competitively priced anymore, at least not as they used to be eight or nine years ago.

I can't see it being much cheaper, if at all then the Ibiza. I haven't read that much about the new Ibiza but on paper looks great (in a candy white I'd take it over the new fabia, which I also really like). Not sure if it's DSG only but then the vrs will be anyway.

The new ibiza looks like the designer just drew a line for the side thinking it would look stylish. The line/ kink from the front doesn't go all the way to the back.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I think the company 'SEAT' have more stylish vehicles than those of 'SKODA' ??

It seems 'SKODA are doing little minor touches to revamp the vehicle appearance, whereas 'SEAT' have gone all out to re-invent their vehicle appearance and adversity??

Perhaps I am too critical ?? but would seriously pop into a 'SEAT' showroom before I would attend a predictable 'SKODA' showroom.

Ian. 14/10/2009. :rolleyes:

I do like the Ibiza and Leon, but the Altea is weird (although not as bad as the Toldeo was) and the Exeo doesn't count because it's an Audi...

I predict a lot of people will change their mind about the Fabia when the RS comes out :)