Pads and Disks....Advice needed!

Hey!

I know there are hundreds of threads about this, but can anyone just recommend some new brake pads and disks suitable for the Mk1 Octavia VRS?

I want direct replacement parts, no fancy new brembos etc, and I would prefer cross/drilled disks if possible!

Extra Brownie points awarded to those who can give weblinks, part numbers and prices!!!

Mucho thanks peeps!

Mike. :thumbup:

I got a set of OEM replacements from GSF a while back for about £220 delivered (next day too) - fitted with some help fairly easy, rears need wind back tool and fiddly due to hand brake mech.

All ok for several k miles except the dreaded mooing when reversing but not bothered enough to strip and copper grease etc.

hope this helps.

If you go EBC route, take ordinary discs (I use Febi, but ordinary EBC ones are OK too) and EBC Yellow pads. Much better than the Greens. Slotted/drilled/light alloy rotors are not worth it for everyday use, they'll just eat pads more and brake less.

EBC Yellows have higher friction than stock pads and heat up the fluid more, so you might consider keeping brake fluid fresh or replacing it with DOT5.1 fluid (same as Super DOT 4, ie DOT4 compatible but with ~30deg higher wet boiling point. at sltg10 a bottle it's hardly a costly upgrade, and I did manage to boil factory fluid in my Superb (with Greens at the time) after just 18 months of ownership.

Ordinary OEM discs and pads, or if you want more bite and want to go the EBC route, I run the red ceramic which are good as long as you're not going to track it lots. The Yellows are as above and the greens are IMHO a waste of time.

Other options are OEM, Ferodo DS2000 and DS2500.

I've got CRN discs fitted to mine SKODA OCTAVIA VRS RS GROOVED BRAKE DISCS FRONT REAR on eBay (end time 22-Oct-09 08:03:43 BST)

I've had them fitted on mine for over the last 2yrs & had no problems with what so ever. In fact they are getting ready for changing & another set of these discs are going to go on:D

If you give them a ring & speak to Richard rather than buy direct off fleabay & tell him your from this forum, he will knock 10% off the price:thumbup:

• 2 months later...

I've not replaced the brakes on my vrs yet but I plan to use mintex brake boxes (discs and pads) off ebay, From using Mintex stuff on previous cars it's always been top notch.

However I've not seen drilled or grooved discs by Mintex..

does anyone else use the crn disks? seen them on ebay front discs for about 100 delivered, do they create more brake dust?

I use them on mine and think they're quite reasonable, but they dont last that long, wore my last set out in 20000 miles! But at the money they cost, I'm not too fussed about the fast wear rate. Dust wise, proberbly a bit more but nothing to worry about.

I've not replaced the brakes on my vrs yet but I plan to use mintex brake boxes (discs and pads) off ebay, From using Mintex stuff on previous cars it's always been top notch.

However I've not seen drilled or grooved discs by Mintex..

MIntex are made by TMD friction who are also the makers of pagid/ textar who are OEM skoda suppliers so mintex worth getting if they are available cheaper than OEM from GSF ( who usually supply pagid/ textar).

I use EBC discs with the grooves n dimpled on them and they are very good, I need to renew my ebay rears and original rear pads some time soon.

The EBC discs are with the BD predator pads and I think they are very good and stop the car really well but I will say that with the dimpled discs you do get a ticking noise audible from the outside which I find a tad annoying but once they are warm they stop you very well.

billy

I use EBC discs with the grooves n dimpled on them and they are very good, I need to renew my ebay rears and original rear pads some time soon.

The EBC discs are with the BD predator pads and I think they are very good and stop the car really well but I will say that with the dimpled discs you do get a ticking noise audible from the outside which I find a tad annoying but once they are warm they stop you very well.

billy

I tried a set of the EBC disc and my old Rover 200 and didn't really get on with them, didnt take me long to warp them. Although I was regularly getting them hot enough to glow bright red :rofl:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

lol fury muff lol,

mine dont really get used hard hard lol, but I think the groovs help as I can drive most of the day and not uses the brakes and it shows when I use them ans there is very little stopping then all of a sudden after 2-3 sec and the pads and discs heat up a tad and clean off the shine they really stop you lol.

I have no experience with that make, only with EBC's old Grooved and Dimpled discs (TGDs). These were very good discs, better than plain, but were VERY NOISY at medium to hard braking. EBC have now have black Ultimax slotted discs which are still better than plain, but much quieter than TGDs.

I personally wouldnt touch them as they are cheap and are drilled through, and iirc someone that went to Castle Combe last year had a sim style with the drilled and they cracked.

I dont know what car you have mate but those are too small for the vRS. 312mm vRS and 288mm is the other 1.8T

I had a set of similar cheap ones befor the EBC and they were pritty good just very soft and the std original pads went thru them pritty well, they were only grooved ones tho and you could hear a drone under braking but nothing could be heard outside the car, wearas the EBC ones now are pritty silent inside car but tick on the outside, lol funny.

Dont bother with groved or cross drilled discs! watse of time, wont go into why on here!

Ive got some from euro car parts on my PD130 they are pagid discs and im running pagid RS5 blue pads which are ceramic a bit of an over kill for the car but they are better than most four pot conversions and never fade oor cause the disc to run out.

That said the pads are mega expensive at £218 for the front axle!

Dont bother with groved or cross drilled discs! watse of time, wont go into why on here!

Ive got some from euro car parts on my PD130 they are pagid discs and im running pagid RS5 blue pads which are ceramic a bit of an over kill for the car but they are better than most four pot conversions and never fade oor cause the disc to run out.

That said the pads are mega expensive at £218 for the front axle!

so why have you got them?

lol that price is not what you payed? I hope

I need to replace mine and have ordered although not fitted yet, standard Mintex Rear brake box set and then for the front Brembo Max Discs all delivered for £171.00. I was gonna stick with Pagid Pads.

Has anyone got any experience of the Brembo Max discs? and also against these Pads or can you recommend different pads for the front before I order the Pads?

I will post up what they are like when they are fitted, but if anyone does have any info on this combo let me know.

so why have you got them?

lol that price is not what you payed? I hope

Ive got them because ive had various cars with them on,an E30 M3 to group N spec and this is the pad that BMW used to run on a group N car, so ive got used to them and now icant be without them because the down grade to even something like EBC reds or yellows is quite a lot.

Just cant help myself lol