Which is the brightest bulb to go for ?

yabbie

thinking about getting new bulbs as i do alot of driving and now the darker days are here.

so ive been onto powerbulb website and need to pick between Philips X-Treme Power

or Philips Vision Plus. think of the x-treme ones seems as it says 80% more light.

anyone use these ?

Go for Philips X-Treme or Osram Nightbreakers. :thumbup: The X-Tremes are the best buy in Auto-Express. The only problem I have read from others on this forum is the higher % bulbs don't last that long (3-6 months) and the Vision Plus (50%) have better life.

I paid £20 for my 80% x-treme bulbs from PowerBulbs - Car Bulbs, Headlight Bulbs, Xenon Bulbs from Philips and Osram, including Philips Xtreme Power and Osram NightBreaker globes. last Sunday (googled for a 10% discount voucher code). I was previously running with some 50% brighter (iirc, maybe 30%?) and I put those in at least 3 years ago and they managed with my 120 miles of commuting (leaving home at 6.00am), so during the winter months both trips used the headlights for the duration of the drive, they are now my glovebox spare bulbs!

i have put xenons in mine and the difference is outstanding £50 off of flea bay :thumbup:

Yes you can retro-fit xenons (HIDs) but they are illegal or can only be used for 'off-road use'. There are many threads about this.

Just because you haven't been stopped doesn't make them legal.

Amongst other things, they have to be self levelling & have headlight washers to be legal.

not true that is only for car that are new, went you retro-fit they are not required. As for legality, its more of a grey area as has never been proven in court.

Just make sure there white ish ie no higher thatn 6000k because showing none white lights ie too blue or purple def is a no no.

Fact sheet: Aftermarket HID headlamps

"In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits"

And, in the spirit of selective quoting, "Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should..."

Since the legal advice contradicts itself, the minimal requirement set out in the advice applies.

I can recommend Osram silverstar +50% bulbs for H4.

The +80%/90% bulbs will generally only last 6 to 9 months if you're using your car daily with the lights on.

The packets of the 50% bulbs used to say not recommended for high mileage drivers, so I'd say 30% or 50% bulbs are a good compromise without having to worry about lots of popped bulbs.

I find these to be the most effective bulbs for warning off passing ships:

3280532.jpg

For those not willing to carry out the 'lighthouse' conversion, I like Philips X-treme power bulbs. Been using them for 2 years, and very happy with them.

I'm with the mentality that if you need far brighter lights than everyone else, then you should probably get your eyes checked! Or eat more carrots! I'm not a fan of those ponsy HID lights. They annoy the hell out of me!

Fact sheet: Aftermarket HID headlamps

"In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits"

Well I said that it had not been tested in court, and "in there view" fankly isnt law yet either. The report was basically guidline which are not inforced or even clear cut.

Ive had HID for retro fitting to 2 cars now over 3 years passed every MOT never been stoped etc.

Well I said that it had not been tested in court, and "in there view" fankly isnt law yet either. The report was basically guidline which are not inforced or even clear cut.

Ive had HID for retro fitting to 2 cars now over 3 years passed every MOT never been stoped etc.

But you've probably blinded every oncoming motorist with the glare that you've created for the last 3 years too :thumbup:

Over a year of using Philips X-Treme and my lights are always on and no issues, good buld.

Am planning to wire direct to the battery at some point for better voltage

Good to see somebody back on topic!!

I'm using Osram Nightbreakers for 18months now with no problems.

I bought from powerbulbs, but via ebay. Worked out quite alot cheaper at the time than the powerbulbs site with 10% off (but you don't get the free philips side light bulbs they tend to throw in.

currently the powerbulbs.com site is 17.50 for a pair of h4 inc del and philips side light bulbs (+ you should get 10% off as mentioned before)

the ebay site OSRAM NIGHTBREAKER H4 - PAIR - 90% MORE LIGHT! on eBay (end time 08-Dec-09 18:35:34 GMT) is £11.64 inc delivery but no side lights

hth

hi there,

just if i can ask for my 2001 skodaoctavia do i need to get

Philips X-Treme Power H1 , 4 or 7 :confused: sorry just really wanted double check,,

thank you

Dipped beam is H4

Main Beam is H4

According to the Powerbulbs site.

Dipped beam is H4

Main Beam is H4

According to the Powerbulbs site.

Or more accurately, Main/Dip is H4; the bulb contains 2 elements: A 55W dip element and a 60W main beam element. So you need 2 bulbs for an upgrade, not 4.

I've had both Phillips X-treme and Osram Nightbreakers, both from Powerbulbs. One of the Phillips X-tremes blew earlier this year so replaced both with Nightbreakers.

The Phillips seemed to be slightly brighter white but the Nightbreakers seem to spread the light outwards and further into the distance more. The reflection off of roadsigns on full beam is intense :thumbup:

The Phillips Bluevision sidelights Powerbulbs used to give away with the X-treme H4s are also very good, I was driving around for a few days on just the sidelight (it was so bright I didn't notice the difference) before someone pointed out one of my main beams had gone.