1.6D CR - Skoda's Most Efficient Octy.

I've now had my new Octy for nearly 2 weeks and have covered nearly 1,500 miles, so it's now almost run in and time for a quick review.

My Previous car was an Octy L&K 2.0 PD DSG, and I had no choice but drop a spec and lose DSG in order to get the new 1.6 CR. The promised better economy and lower tax was just too much to resist and dropping to the Elegance meant I could save a bit of money by leaving out all the little toys I could do without. I also don't miss DSG - it was a nice toy to play with, but I'm a manual man at heart and prefer the control of a manual. I can also change gear much smoother than a DSG, if not as fast.

I was a bit aprehensive about having to have a less powerful engine, but I needn't have worried. As soon as I started the car and drove it away from the garage I knew I'd made the right choice. The first thing I noticed was how quiet the engine is - I've driven plenty of noisier petrol cars and you'd have a job to tell it was a diesel from the passenger seat, even on tick-over - It's by far the quietest diesel I've ever owned, really, it's that good. Also, the power delivery is much more even and less peaky than the PD.

Now, what is it like to drive? Well, it's going to be difficult to be objective as it's my new pride and joy, but I'll do my best. I'm sure it won't come as too much of a surprise that it's not the fastest car ever made. Pulling out of junctions, joining the motorway and overtaking require a bit more planning than they did with the more powerful car it replaced, although a lot of that was down to the DSG taking the strain out of changing gear. Some would say it needs to be worked harder, I would say it just needs more skill to get the best out of it - well I would, wouldn't I?

On balance, I prefer the smoothness of the CR over the more powerful but very agricultural PD and in no way does the car feel underpowered. I do have two criticisms for now: The gear display on the maxi-dot tells you to change up far too early in my opinion. very often I'm still in third when the display is telling me it wants me in fifth! In other words, it's a complete waste of time. The other, far more important, is it really could do with 6 gears. The gearing is on the tall side as it is, meaning first gear is required more times than would be necessary in most cars. They seem to have gone too far to get the economy up and the emissions down at the expence of refinement. There's also pretty much nothing below 2,000 rpm, so you have to bear this in mind, although this will come as no surprise to drivers of turbo diesels.

Now on to the economy: I've only had one oportunity to check the accuracy of the trip computer. I did one brim to brim test that indicated an average of 50 mpg over around 600 miles compared to the maxi-dot indicated 51 mpg, although the maxi dot was over a longer period, so it's not that scientific. I'll have to do a few more tests first. The indicated 51 mpg was over all kinds of driving including heavy stop-start traffic and all the bad weather we've been having. In contrast, this Sunday I made trip from my place near Bristol to Bournemouth, Southampton and back home on mainly motorways and A-roads showed an average of 60 mpg on the maxi-dot, so it looks as if things are losening up a bit, but I'm guessing it still has a way to go. It may have also helped that the wind and the rain had died down a bit. All I can say is, it's far better than my previous car even now and When you pay £400 a month for fuel, every little helps.

In short, most people would find this car plenty powerful enough. In the end, do you really want to pay double in fuel for those rare occasions when the extra power would come in useful? If you do, then this car isn't for you.

• Like 1

I've now had my new Octy for nearly 2 weeks and have covered nearly 1,500 miles, so it's now almost run in and time for a quick review.

My Previous car was an Octy L&K 2.0 PD DSG, and I had no choice but drop a spec and lose DSG in order to get the new 1.6 CR. The promised better economy and lower tax was just too much to resist and dropping to the Elegance meant I could save a bit of money by leaving out all the little toys I could do without. I also don't miss DSG - it was a nice toy to play with, but I'm a manual man at heart and prefer the control of a manual. I can also change gear much smoother than a DSG, if not as fast.

I was a bit aprehensive about having to have a less powerful engine, but I needn't have worried. As soon as I started the car and drove it away from the garage I knew I'd made the right choice. The first thing I noticed was how quiet the engine is - I've driven plenty of noisier petrol cars and you'd have a job to tell it was a diesel from the passenger seat, even on tick-over - It's by far the quietest diesel I've ever owned, really, it's that good. Also, the power delivery is much more even and less peaky than the PD.

Now, what is it like to drive? Well, it's going to be difficult to be objective as it's my new pride and joy, but I'll do my best. I'm sure it won't come as too much of a surprise that it's not the fastest car ever made. Pulling out of junctions, joining the motorway and overtaking require a bit more planning than they did with the more powerful car it replaced, although a lot of that was down to the DSG taking the strain out of changing gear. Some would say it needs to be worked harder, I would say it just needs more skill to get the best out of it - well I would, wouldn't I?

On balance, I prefer the smoothness of the CR over the more powerful but very agricultural PD and in no way does the car feel underpowered. I do have two criticisms for now: The gear display on the maxi-dot tells you to change up far too early in my opinion. very often I'm still in third when the display is telling me it wants me in fifth! In other words, it's a complete waste of time. The other, far more important, is it really could do with 6 gears. The gearing is on the tall side as it is, meaning first gear is required more times than would be necessary in most cars. They seem to have gone too far to get the economy up and the emissions down at the expence of refinement. There's also pretty much nothing below 2,000 rpm, so you have to bear this in mind, although this will come as no surprise to drivers of turbo diesels.

Now on to the economy: I've only had one oportunity to check the accuracy of the trip computer. I did one brim to brim test that indicated an average of 50 mpg over around 600 miles compared to the maxi-dot indicated 51 mpg, although the maxi dot was over a longer period, so it's not that scientific. I'll have to do a few more tests first. The indicated 51 mpg was over all kinds of driving including heavy stop-start traffic and all the bad weather we've been having. In contrast, this Sunday I made trip from my place near Bristol to Bournemouth, Southampton and back home on mainly motorways and A-roads showed an average of 60 mpg on the maxi-dot, so it looks as if things are losening up a bit, but I'm guessing it still has a way to go. It may have also helped that the wind and the rain had died down a bit. All I can say is, it's far better than my previous car even now and When you pay £400 a month for fuel, every little helps.

In short, most people would find this car plenty powerful enough. In the end, do you really want to pay double in fuel for those rare occasions when the extra power would come in useful? If you do, then this car isn't for you.

Well I have to agree with you on this one...It really is as good as they get for mpg returns and smooth.....yes it is that to....Hope you enjoy you new pride and joy, I also love my 1.6 and compared to the 1.9 well all I can say is, if you aint driven it yet....do so and you WILL be suprised.:rkick:

All the best

Skodabob;)

I'm nervous about it actually, it being my first DSG.

If it weren't for arthritis I'd have stayed with a manual, but as it's in my left (clutch) leg it's starting to drive me nuts, so a DSG it has to be.

It's also my first petrol motor in 10 years so I'm going to have to be careful not to fill it with diesel!

Do they do green petrol caps?

I'd like to see you change gear in an average of 8-10 milliseconds.

Changing gear IMO is more about technique and timing than speed. In a manual, you can read ahead and be in the correct gear before the DSG computer knows there's anything wrong.

That's a reassuring review, I'm due to change my car in the next 3-4 months, and have started thinking about the replacement.

Due to company rules, I'm faced with losing my PD140 for either a 1.6CR Greenline or a 1.9PD with a choice of specs (probably Elegance again) - or maybe a Superb Greenline...

Was a bit worried about the loss in power, which is useful for single carriageway overtaking on my long commute - but it sounds like its not far off, if you work it hard.

That's a reassuring review, I'm due to change my car in the next 3-4 months, and have started thinking about the replacement.

Due to company rules, I'm faced with losing my PD140 for either a 1.6CR Greenline or a 1.9PD with a choice of specs (probably Elegance again) - or maybe a Superb Greenline...

Was a bit worried about the loss in power, which is useful for single carriageway overtaking on my long commute - but it sounds like its not far off, if you work it hard.

I'd be worried about having to suffer a 1.9, but the 1.6 is in a different league. You don't have to worry as much about giving it more revs as the engine is so quiet.

It's also my first petrol motor in 10 years so I'm going to have to be careful not to fill it with diesel!

Do they do green petrol caps?

the diesel filler will not fit in the petrol hole so you have no worry about putting diesel in a petrol.

I was tempted to go for the 1.6 because of the lower tax and fuel consump, but after the fabia with 180bhp I felt I would miss the power all too much so the vRS seemed the ideal choice.

Still if I had the money I'd buy one for everyday commuting.

The review was it on the greenline 1.6 or just the normal 1.6?

You should see much better economy once it's properly run in - my PD140 octy took 10k to do the job and I'd average 50mpg quite easily.

If you don't get closer to 60 with the 1.6 I'd be surprised.

In my Bravo with a 1.6 engine I got an indicated 67mpg on a run up to Warrington today.

I'd be worried about having to suffer a 1.9, but the 1.6 is in a different league. You don't have to worry as much about giving it more revs as the engine is so quiet.

:thumbup:

Looks like the 1.9 has been discontinued in the Octy (Skoda brochure says july 09), I guess our list should read 1.6CR for all models.

Your comment also makes me lean away from the Superb slightly more, although I think I was doing that on my own anyway - I don't need the extra space, and the extra 133kg will probably drink quite a bit over the 80,000 mile life of the car.

:thumbup:

I don't need the extra space, and the extra 133kg will probably drink quite a bit over the 80,000 mile life of the car.

Where does the 80,000 come from ? It seems very low.

D

the diesel filler will not fit in the petrol hole so you have no worry about putting diesel in a petrol.

I was tempted to go for the 1.6 because of the lower tax and fuel consump, but after the fabia with 180bhp I felt I would miss the power all too much so the vRS seemed the ideal choice.

Still if I had the money I'd buy one for everyday commuting.

The review was it on the greenline 1.6 or just the normal 1.6?

Mine's the Elegance. I can't see there being much difference in economy in the real world between that and the poorly spec'd Greenline. What there is would appear to be at the expense of ride quality.

As I do the vast majority of my driving on motorways with cruise control on, I simply don't need any more power than is required to maintain the speed. That's not to say I think the 1.6D is bad to drive in traffic, it's not.

Silkysteve, I can't match your mpg (46 mpg is my personal best so far on dense stop-start traffic), but I share your enthousiasm for the engine. Indeed, very silent and a lot of Laufkultur as the Germans put it. More than enough power for me, and always a smile on my face...

Silkysteve, I can't match your mpg (46 mpg is my personal best so far on dense stop-start traffic), but I share your enthousiasm for the engine. Indeed, very silent and a lot of Laufkultur as the Germans put it. More than enough power for me, and always a smile on my face...

If my last car and the comments of others on here are anything to go by, the economy will improve a lot once you've put some more miles on the car.

As the 1.6 cr is the new base engine for the whole VW-group, replacing the 1.9 pd, I am sure that there won't (or at least shouldn't) be a problem as to reliability or expected mileage. Considering the low revs this engine makes, I even think (hope?) it might do better than the one it replaces. And all this for less diesel and making less noice (and that's a fact).