Octy vRS road noise

Rondo

Further to earlier thread re high noise level from the back as though the door or boot was open, I gor Mrs R to drive today while I sat in the back.

The level of road noise is quite significant and a lot higher than my old 51 vRS. It mainly seemed to coming in through the rear speaker grills.

On closer inspection in the boot I note that the rear speakers are exposed and this was certainly not the case in the old car. In the old one (and in Mrs R's Fab vRS) there was a piece of boot carpet that covered the rear speakers and I suspect this was sufficient to quiten any road noise.

Is it now standard on the Octy vRS to leave this bit of carpet / sound proofing out? Would be much obliged if any 53/54 reg Octy vRS owners could have a look in their boot to see if the rear speakers are covered or exposed

I had the parcel shelf out of mine the other day (I had to put 2 patio heaters in the boot, spilt them into 3 sections each and fitted no problem). Anyway it was very wet and I found it very noisy in the car without the shelf.

Give it a go Rondo, my Y reg has the carpet in place but is quiet noisy in the back. I think the tyres I have currently fitted generate quiet a bit of road noise due to there tread pattern.

Be much appreciated though if any 53/04/54 Octy vRS owners could have a look before I go piling on on Monday

Good piont, glad you brought it up as I had been wondering why there was excess noise comming from the rear. It sounds like the rear passanger window is slightly open but is not. I am always trying to close it when it is already closed if you know what I mean.

Just been out to look at the underside of the rear speakers on my 54 vRS, and as I thought, it has no carpeting or soundprofing, so must be the reason for the additional road noise.

Maybe as part of cost cutting they have removed this. Going to take it back to the dealer as not happy. Like you Chappers I have constantly been trying to close a window that is already closed

where should this carpet be? If I look in the boot then I can see the speaker magnet' date=' should there be some carpet covering that?

Mine's a 54 plate.[/quote']

In my old 51 reg vRS a "cup" shaped piece of the grey carpet fabric covered the underside of the speaker. It was tucked inside the side of the main carpet and extended out immediately under the speaker. I thought it was just there to protect the speaker from whatever was flying around the boot but it seems it also had some sound proofing qualities as well

My rear speakers are also exposed on my late 03 Elegance Octavia.

I also get the feeling that a rear window is slightly open at speed.

At 80mph the Fabia is quieter than my old V6 Rover 75 but in the Octavia you have to raise your voice if your speaking to someone in the back.

May try and get some matting and cover in the underside of the speakers.

Cheers

Lee

Have now also noticed that there is quite a gap between the back seats and the black plastic sidestrips that hold the speakers and that the parcel shelf rests on and again this is letting the noise through. After 10 miles on the motorway this morning I couldn't bear the noise. Mrs R said much the same. Even turing the radio up isn't enough to drown it out

This coupled with some other things - I would say the quality of fit and finish in the car is a long way below that of my old one. Based on this car I would be hard pushed to recommend Skoda

Steering squeaks

Air blowers are noisy and squeak

Rear suspension (?) clunks on left hand corners or under braking

Dash rattles

Groaning noise from brakes when reversing

Obtrusive and overbearing wind noise from the rear

cheap flimsy boot netting compared to the old car

I want my old one back !!! It didn''t suffer from any of these

It wouldn't be so bad if Mrs R's Fab vRS was OK but it's back at the dealers on Tuesday for a squeaky rear wheel. On top of that it's dash has started to rattle and the courtesy light cluster has also developed a rattle.

Both cars only done 500-600 miles

Not at all impressed. Skoda seem to be moving backwards

04 plate and no carpet covering speakers. Rich if those carpet cup thingys really help with road noise...I'd like them...I live in Sheffield : :thumbup:

They're yours. If they are anywhere they're in my Dad's garage. I'll look tomorrow and PM you in the evening. I'd like to talk to you about the fuel pump too.

All that said I still fail to understand why two small pieces of carpet will help to reduce road noise :confused:

For the record my motor doesn't suffer from excessive road noise and is completely squeek and rattle free. 32k miles since February 2003 :thumbup: If you want to experience rattles buy a Golf :rolleyes:

04 plate and no carpet covering speakers. Rich if those carpet cup thingys really help with road noise...I'd like them...I live in Sheffield : :thumbup:

Sorry I forgot about replying. How rude.

I looked in the garage but it appears they've been chucked out. If they do turn up I'll let you know.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Mine's a '54' plate and doesn't have any covers under the rear speakers :(

It must be another cost saving exercise. They deleted the covers on the top of the front suspension turrets too.

Can someone post a piccy of the speaker covers in place. Now I've noticed they aren't there I think I need to get some!!! :D

Also part numbers (if possible) :)