Drive the Deal - who's used them? experiences?

Both my local dealers seem to be about £1k off the DTD price at the moment, so that's a big enough saving for me to take the punt and order online. So, DTD just end up putting you in touch with a dealer somewhere round the country right? is it always the same dealer for everyone (in which case which one is it?), or does it vary?

Any other experiences or things I should know?

Same comments as Krispe. I brought my Octavia in April had no problems with the dealer or Drive the Deal . The amount I paided for a Octavia estate Ambiente with black magic peal paint £12800. This was last of the pre face lift model and whole process took from paying the deposit to collecting the car was 3 weeks I am very please with whole process no problems.

Both my local dealers seem to be about £1k off the DTD price at the moment, so that's a big enough saving for me to take the punt and order online. So, DTD just end up putting you in touch with a dealer somewhere round the country right? is it always the same dealer for everyone (in which case which one is it?), or does it vary?

Any other experiences or things I should know?

What part of the country are you in?

When I bought my Octy I took the DTD price to my local dealer, initially they would not match the price but I went back towards the end of June (1/2year target time) and they fell over themselves. If you- can go in and commit by the end of December - and let them know you are aware of the bonuses they get for making sales targets by the end of the year they should do a price match.

When I bought my Octy I took the DTD price to my local dealer, initially they would not match the price but I went back towards the end of June (1/2year target time) and they fell over themselves. If you- can go in and commit by the end of December - and let them know you are aware of the bonuses they get for making sales targets by the end of the year they should do a price match.

My local dealer knows my DTD price. So I've left that with him. I'm hoping that with the carrot dangling of being able to commit tomorrow (when he is back in) he'll be able to get to the DTD price - or at the very least within a couple of hundred quid.

Near Guildford, surrey

You're not far from me - Epsom area.

I used DtD. They confimed the order; and then Marlborough called me and took the deposit. That was early September. I am due to collect the car (vRS, DSG, Hatch plus some options) tomorrow. So hopefully in 24 hours or so I will have a big smile on my face. Only issue I had with Marlborough was that they didn't give me any paperwork and never called me (I had to call them) - but if all turns out well tomorrow then I guess they will have delivered everything they said (they quoted 14 to 16 weeks and it came in at 15).

Hope that helps.

So, Marlborough looks like the favorite for DTD then. Has anyone tried asking them direct for a price rather then using DTD?

actually, a quick search shows me that it's probably best to use DTD. Less hassle, and nothing to be saved.

I wonder if they'd take my fabia in px. I wouldn't expect that much but a px would be easieras we only run one car.

Edited by sam_underhill

So, Marlborough looks like the favorite for DTD then. Has anyone tried asking them direct for a price rather then using DTD?

Not me, but then naturally I didn't know who the supplier would be. But what I liked about the DtD approach was the website was up to date (and given Skoda's own site is not, that's not easy), options all laid out with the discounts and there was no haggling. Just one click, a couple of phone calls and (as I said earlier, once I pick it up tomorow) it all seemed fine. Not sure I would call Marlborough direct if I was after another Skoda tomorrow - just don't want the hassle of the haggle.

My local garage Silsbury Cramlington was also about £1000 out.

I emailed them and told them if they could match the drive the deal price I would buy from them. They came within £50. I now have a 1.8TSI elegance on order. I told them I don’t want it until the new registrations in March.

I bought my FL vRS through DTD and had absolutely no problems with them.

Marlborough are my local dealer, and to be honest I wouldn't recommend them. The attitude of their sales manager was dismissive and far from professional (the other salesmen were fine). I went armed with the DTD price and was told point blank they couldn't get close to that price. The sales manager even told me that DTD contact them to get the best price, and so the price they quote on the web isn't valid. I went back a couple of times to see they could improve their offer but they weren't interested.

I spoke to DTD and was assured that the price they quote you 'is the most you'll pay'. As this price was almost £2k less than what I'd been quoted by Marlborough I went ahead and ordered with them. Based on my research I was fairly sure that Skoda's bought through DTD are supplied by Marlborough, so it was no surprise when I was contacted by their sales manager a couple of days later. He even had the nerve to tell me he was disappointed I hadn't given him the chance to come back with a better price.

Yes I did, I learned that they were one of the DtD suppliers and contacted them directly. No hassle straight price match to that offered by DtD.

Didn't get the feeling that customer care came high on the list of priorities.

I ended up ordering through Rainsworth in Mansfield, who I think also supply on behalf of DTD. Same response, no hassle price match and friendly with it. Collect my VRS first week of January.

If you don't mind travelling to collect it give them a try, there are many on here who are happy customers!!!!!!!!!

Yes I did, I learned that they were one of the DtD suppliers and contacted them directly. No hassle straight price match to that offered by DtD.

Didn't get the feeling that customer care came high on the list of priorities.

I ended up ordering through Rainsworth in Mansfield, who I think also supply on behalf of DTD. Same response, no hassle price match and friendly with it. Collect my VRS first week of January.

If you don't mind travelling to collect it give them a try, there are many on here who are happy customers!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Pete, and thanks for the PM. Whilst it seems Marlborough may not have the best "bedside manner" they are at least not a million miles from me, so at the worst case I can always go and see them person in the event of any issues.

It might be worth trying Allams Skoda, fairly near you in Epsom, as their sales manager posts on this forum.

My problem with DtD is that they don't do PX. I don't want the hassle of a private sale when I get a new car - although recently I've heard good things of Suresell.

I have just ordered a Yeti SE 140 4WD from Drive the Deal on Friday.

It was a 10% deposit on the price of the car (minus vat and extras). Marlborough have just taken the deposit out today. They havent called me yet.

I understand they drive the car to you for delvery unless you pay extra for transporter so may get the train down to them and drive the car back when it arrives in ten weeks.

That way I can check it over before paying the balance.

Hope the customer service is OK its always a bit of an unknown buying a car this way.

Sounds like a case of me calling them rather than the other way round.

Cheers, Dave

I used DtD for my VRs delivered at the beginning of October. They were efficient as were Marlborough, at that time it was 18% off list and included 3 years free servicing and 0% finance. As I understand it, we get commercial rather than retail rates by using DtD. By the way they will also deliver the car foc, so you don't have to flog over to Isleworth or wherever to get your new car.