Useful iphone apps.

Neo_VR

Actually only sort of an iphone app. I recently wanted to download from the BBC Radio iplayer (you can't officially on a PC) and found an app that lets you download mp3s from the Radio site by making the iplayer think your PC is an iphone. I can now download with a couple of clicks anything on the Radio site of the iplayer :) it’s a bit low quality but great for catching up on plays that I might have missed and once transferred onto an SD card they are brilliant to listen to in the car :) It seems odd they are happy to let you use an iphone but not a PC though?

I used this simple version (I use the version near the bottom of the page). Mods if you think this is illegal please delete the post. I think it might be OK as it is only replacing the listening device from an ipod to a PC based device. Ultimately I can tansfer it to my ipod anyway and perhasp then it is 100% OK?

• 1 month later...

Couple of new apps i've found which may be useful to people on here especially....

Autotrader - roughly the same as the website but in an app.

MyCarCheck - carry out vehicle history checks on prospective new cars.... Basic check is free then £2.99 for a full detailed check.

NavFree - Free SatNav app.

Cheers

Dave.

• 1 month later...

Nike + GPS is a great app, logs your runs and tracks your route. It even logs your speed so you can see over which ground you were slower. You can set it to tell you how far you've run, at intervals.

It allows you to update your facebook with your run and recieve live 'cheers' from everyone who likes your status, while you are running (bit of a gimmick I know, but fun anyway).

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi. Just new out and from Microsoft of all people. Photosynth. Turns photos into a 360 degree panorama. Oh and it is free.

This is a great app and if you take a little time you can get some brilliant results. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

A great alternative to the default safari browser is a browser called Mercury. Can be set up to simulate a host of desktop browsers, (I have it set to be Google Chrome), So you don't get the mobile versions of websites.

I've also replaced the default camera app with Camera+ which as well as taking the photos then has a suite of editing facilities. The only thing it doesn't do is video but you can obviously use the default camera app for that when required. Another good camera app is instagram although this is more about editing photos and posting them online. Both the apps have the facility to share pictures on Twitter, Facebook, Flickr and more.

Cheers

Dave.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some that I have found usefull or interesteding...ready...

Road Trip, have used it on three cars now and its excellent...also saved me from an nasty tax bill a year ago!

AA Parking, costs about £2 but saved me loads in parking fees

BP UK, Shell stations & pumps IE for finding the nearest petrol station on the island of Ireland...also for finding cheap deisel.

Dierct Line & Skoda Insurance....not had to use either (and hopefully wont either) but usefull if in an accident to record all the details

BBC Iplayer/4oD/Sky Mobile TV/Itv Player/5 on demand....fbrilliant for sitting when out shopping with the Mrs.

I torch...so usefull.

Tapatalk....for reading forums (although not briskoda)

BTfon...for finding and taping into WiFi on the move.

• 5 months later...

Outdoor GB - OS mapping and navigation

NavFree - free satnav. Not far off TomTom and free!

Met Office - way better than the standard weather app.

• 3 weeks later...

Dynolicious -

What a great app this is....

Can't condone using it on the public road, but I have just got it and had a test run.

0-60 in 6.18 secs and a 14.6 second qtr mile time.

Everyone should have one, but don't get caught using it...

• 2 weeks later...

Flight Radar 24. A clever app this one. Basically, it shows you what aircraft are in the sky at any time. Select an aircraft by touching the icon and it will give you the details of it.

If you pay a couple of quid for the pro version, it will show you the route the aircraft is taking. Also, if you see an aircraft in the sky, you can point your phone at it and it will provide you with its details.

Hours of endless fun if you're an anorak ;-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The ones I use the most:

Waze - free community navigation with voice guidance and traffic

Tapatalk - of course

Ping lite - free tool for network testing

Rdp - full version that allows right clicks. Says that it won't work on w7 or 2008 but it DOES and has got me out of the p00p a few times. Better on the iPad but perfectly usable on the iPhone too

Logmein - avoided the paid one in the beginning as it was £40 but now it's free and it rocks!

Spiceworks - great for monitoring

Dropbox - new galaxy s3 owners get 50gb free I have to make do with just the 2gb that you get for free.

Magic seaweed app - know before you go as they say. Makes the decision when to go surfing much easier and less time wasted driving to the beach only to find out it's FLAT!

Various tv viewers bbc, itv, channel 4 etc

Also have copilot full version but used to favour waze until I got the traffic update

• 3 weeks later...

I downloaded '"Whatgas petrol" for Android http://www.whatgas.com/mobi/android.html and it seemed to constantly favour Shell over other retailers as offering the best prices.

I subsequently found the Shell Drivers Club, who also offer bonuses on their fuel https://www.shellsmart.com/smart/index.html?site=en-en. The rewards: "You can choose from Shell Fuel Vouchers, Waitrose Vouchers, Avios airmiles (can be used at BA Exec Club), Charity donations, donations to CO2 reduction schemes, or Gift Card Vouchers – that can then be used to purchase gift cards from one of our retail sites for a number of selected retailers." There is also an app (Shell Motorist) at http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/gbr/products_services/on_the_road/shell_station_locator/mobile/ with some neat little things like nearest station finder etc.

• 1 month later...

Anyone used the driver witness app??

I've bought a window cradle thing for my iPhone 4S so I can film all the bell ends that drive on the roads near me. I'm fed up with it now so I'll film them and post them on twitter or you tube.