DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL

REDFABVRS

Having read up on VAG cars its common of Dual Mass flywheels to fail..

Please can any of you advise how to take care/prevention of the Dual Mass fly wheel from failing?

Is this a common issue on the Skoda Fabia Vrs? I intend to keep the car for a few years, but I dot want to be hit with the bill of repairs it would make buying a diesel pointless, as I baught it to save money not to fork out repairs..

Your replys are appreciated?

Thaks in Advance!

You're probably getting yourself worked up over nothing. Most cars made today have DMF's, and are just as likely to fail as much as any other car.

The whole reason they're there is to make gear changes smoother. They allow a certain amount of give, so it helps to absorb rough gearchanges.

Just drive it normally...

A friend has just replaced a DMF on a 2.2 Vectra C, so its not just VAG cars that suffer.

The works van is rather uneven and un refined to drive at the moment, and the whole van shakes when you turn the engine off. So im imagining it to be the DMF also.

I would be more concerned over the greater distances the DMF has covered whilst looking to buy, my Octy II showed it to have been replaced at 108k with the clutch, and i bought it at 117k July 08 and the car has now covered 142k.

I have noticed along with a few others that they can be a little shakey (nothing extreme) whilst taking up the bite shortly after starting the car, after a little work they sort thereselfs out.

Edited by Browny_37

Thanks for the replys..

Sorry to sound paranoid but having come from Jap cars they dont seem to these niggles which leaves you wondering was it realy worth investing in a diesel, its just the case get in and drive with a regular service, (I hate trips to garages basically)

I personally would never buy a used Vauxhall, only because of the people I know claim that they need very high maintenance just to keep them on the road.

With VAG cars they are known to be good for taking high mileage driving thats why I baught it, my Fabia is only at 61k now it does not shake at the moment at start up drastically or when turned off quite smooth actually.

Reading up on honest johns website the passat, golfs, Boras etc are all known to have DMF problems.

I can understand at higher mileage when the clutch is to be replaced its worth doing the flywheel at the same time just for a peace of mind.

Driven sensibly with gentle shifts and without labouring the engine in lower rpm in higher gears should reduce wear on it? + its not remapped so im not putting extra stress on the engine or drive train?

Firstly VAG group do not have a problem with DMF failure any more than other car manufacturers. Secondly the OEM DMF and full clutch has dropped in price for £900 to £400+fitting. The DMF protects the gearbox from low rev torque spikes that a diesel produces. If you accelerate gently to 2,000 RPM before laying down full power, the DMF should last a long time.

The option exists at the first clutch change, to replace the DMF with a SMF, but you get noisy gear chatter at idle in neutral, and possibly increased gearbox wear.

Dip the clutch when turning off engine as well. This also helps to reduce DMF wear.

• 2 weeks later...

The option exists at the first clutch change, to replace the DMF with a SMF, but you get noisy gear chatter at idle in neutral, and possibly increased gearbox wear.

Skoda dealer converted my MK2 Octy 1.9TDI with a SMF and new clutch under warranty at 33K and so far the engine idle is very very smooth now and very quiet with no chatter.Gearchanges are smooth too with a great judder free drive even when cold.Before the conversion the car was completely the opposite to what i just descibed so i condemn DMF,s.

Skoda UK told my dealer to convert it with the relative SMF for that vehicle along with a complete clutch assy.Best thing thats happened to my car :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Skoda dealer converted my MK2 Octy 1.9TDI with a SMF and new clutch under warranty at 33K and so far the engine idle is very very smooth now and very quiet with no chatter.Gearchanges are smooth too with a great judder free drive even when cold.Before the conversion the car was completely the opposite to what i just descibed so i condemn DMF,s.

Skoda UK told my dealer to convert it with the relative SMF for that vehicle along with a complete clutch assy.Best thing thats happened to my car :thumbup:

Totally agree, DMF is a load of tosh, no vibrating and rattling gear train on mine after fitting SMF. Gearboxes never used to break, so what is supposed to have suddenly changed now? The abundence of SMF flywheel/clutch kits available as replacements must tell you something ;)

• Like 2

Totally agree, DMF is a load of tosh, no vibrating and rattling gear train on mine after fitting SMF. Gearboxes never used to break, so what is supposed to have suddenly changed now? The abundence of SMF flywheel/clutch kits available as replacements must tell you something ;)

A lightened SMF will chatter, but then if you keep a good amount of mass, that damps the spikes like it always used to on older turbo diesels too ;)

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I did a SMF conversion on my vrs but mine is the octy so is petrol but its one of best mods i've done so far,

I had DMF's on my volvos and it never felt right, just felt sloppy

• 5 years later...

Do skoda citigos have a single flywheel or a duelmass flywheel?

Bought 1 today and it sounded chattery.

Concerned on whether i should refuse the vehicle or not. Its a 64 reg petrol

Oh yeah duelmass are piles of tosh!

My old octavia ate them every 30,000 or 18 month as it was a taxi. Unfortunately the garages in our town were just as tosh :(