Audi knob

rob_e

Had a good look at a brand new s-line last night and they have a slightly different/redesigned stick which is even nicer. Anyone know of where to buy these other than Audi themselves. Can't seem to find the new ones on eBay.

Even if it was a straight swap, why would you want a shifter with 'S3' written on it for an Octy??

not actually interested in the S3 part just more out of interest if it was possible. Taking away the silly S3 logo it just looks abit different really.

• 2 months later...

Guys, if you need german translations let me know.

Ordered my knob also 2 mins ago....easily the best swap for the best price here in Germany. Thanks for the tip-off.... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by Octavia1Z

Annoying thing is that they don't deliver to Australia - I'd love the sechs Gang, but will have to search further (and schoolbay German + Babelfish are my friends....)

As for sending the used ones to Mr G of Manchester, I though he was a huge one already......

Got mine from Ebay today, but need advice:

The leather bag on the A3 knob is too small for the Octavias frame so I have to swap them over. But how to seperate both knobs from their bags? I have them both in front of me on the table but cant think of how to get those rings off that fix the bag to the knob, if you get my drift.

Idea anybody? Link or pic? Would be much appreciated....

€dit

No need, I managed:

p1010400o6zv.jpg p10104049534.jpg p1010405fugq.jpg p1010407r5nb.jpg p10104091582.jpg p10104135urj.jpg

A little gentle force made the rings pop off. The Skoda one broke in two but I don't need that Classic-gearknob anymore anyway.

Edited by Octavia1Z

• 1 year later...

Bought an audi s line gear knob to do this mod as i really like the feel of the audi one having one in my old s line....when i tried to seperate the audi one from the sleeve it took a good bit of pulling and unfortunatly when it came free it broke one and cracked one of the white plastic strips that you put the jubilee clip on!!...dont know whether theres any point getting another one if the same thing is going to happen!!! :(

K:)

Even if it was a straight swap, why would you want a shifter with 'S3' written on it for an Octy??

I have a DSG and my knob is quite big - this one looks a little small, let alone the S3 bit I am not sure I would want to swap my knob for a smaller one . . . sorry.

I sat in a manual Octavia vRS in the showroom recently, the kn0b looked different, more like the one found in the Superb than the older Octavia vRS chrome one. I preferred that one to the chrome one.

The dealer gave me the old gearknob, but it was a bit mangled from when they had removed and it could not be re-used.

Sorry no innuendos!

Really? No innuendos?? Not even about the fact that you have a useless knob?? :giggle:

Sorry - couldn't help myself!

GriffoVRS, on 18 February 2010 - 12:25, said:

The dealer gave me the old gearknob, but it was a bit mangled from when they had removed and it could not be re-used.

Sorry no innuendos!

Really? No innuendos?? Not even about the fact that you have a useless knob?? :giggle:

Sorry - couldn't help myself!

I think the dealers pull them pretty hard . . .

• 9 months later...

I´m resurrecting this thread since I find the manual gear box knob in my Superb Combi a little bit tall and not "user-friendly" :)

When my Superb was in for service I had a new Passat as rental car and that one had the "golf ball" gear knob. It was muuuch nicer than the one in my Superb. In this thread youre discussing the Audi S-line knob and I suppose that would fit in the Superb as well. Is that one a bit shorter than the stock one in the Octavia? Getting a slightly shorter knob is like getting a fake short shifter...not exactly as a real short shifter but a bit on the way...

Wow, thread resurrection! :)

I didn't notice the audi knob being any shorter than the OE knob, but then again it was a long time ago I swapped mine and it was replacing the naff chromey one..

IIRC someone on here has shortened the shaft (bolt cutters!) buy a few mm so I guess that could be an option if you find the superb item too high?

Either way, I still love my "ball-shaped" audi knob. Top mod for not much money - coupled with the TTS short shifter its a massive improvement over stock.

The Audi one feels better to use so you're less likely to notice I reckon. It's maybe slightly shorter but you're talking a few mm if that.

As Rob says, this combined with a short-shifter is highly recommended.

• 5 weeks later...

Be carefull seperating the gear knob from the gaitor or youl end up snapping the plastic vanes on the inside that hold it snug to the gear stick like i did!!! Mine is sat on the office floor and is now no use what so ever!!!....25 notes down the pan!! :(

Kit

Kit ->-> Sorry to hear that! :sweat: It is bit fragile and still some force is needed. I miss my Bmw 3-series, in that you just pulled the knob straight up with a bit of force. No need to get under the gaitor first.

I changed my knob in the Superb yesterday...the thread is http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/234855-changed-the-gear-knob/

I miss my old titanium gear knob from my civic type r. Light weight, warms up quick and no gear box could ever match that car. Short travel and perfect placing on the dash. That was just screwed on too.

Only issue with the gear knob in my Octavia is that the chrome cover has pealed off, been that way since I bought it

Just the knob.

Although the pic in the auction only showed the knob, when it turned up it was a proper OEM audi item that came with a leather gaiter attached.

The audi gaiter won't fit the skoda console so you need to separate both knobs from their respective gaiters. The skoda gaiter fits easily on to the audi knob, and pops back on the shaft (giggle) easily, held on by a circular clip thingie.

Took about 10 mins to change but most of that was working out how stuff fits together.

Here's the link to the auction - bought mine from ebay germany as it worked out cheaper than buying from the uk sellers:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

cheers

Rob

Did this come with a replacement leather gaiter?