Blown Turbo: Help/advice needed

mattm555

My Vrs went into limp mode on the way home on Sunday night, and today my local garage has told me that i need a new turbo!

I'm gutted not only has the car broke down, but i'm having trouble getting quotes and prices.

The only one so far is £330 plus my broken turbo in exchange for a reconditioned turbo with a gurantee.

Is this good or bad does anyone know?

Any help would much appreciated as I am completed sc^wed without my car

Thanks in advance

Turbodynamics is £560 (If you can get it through a garage), or £630 as an individual for a garrett GT1749VB PD150, thats brand new, they will not sell a recon VNT due to poor reliability issues and high amount of warranty claims, that tells a story in itself!

Oh, and do watch out for the cheap copies from china, which it sounds like you may have been quoted for.

Whats wrong with the cheap Chinese ones? I had considered one when my 1.8T passat blew but I bought a second hand one instead (never fitted as the oil pump had blocked and sump was full of filings)

Sorry, that's 330 quid+vat just for the turbo,not including the garage charges. My old man know's his way around an engine so i'm not quite sure to get the turbo sorted through the gargage or let my father try and sort it out :S

I bought a used turbo of mr wardy off here, and got a mate to fit it on my drive, total cost £250, it can be done on the cheap, but obviously neither of the people were out to make money from it, so if thats a garage you have been quoted by then i`d ask some questions

Matt

Have you had any problems since?

Whats wrong with the cheap Chinese ones? I had considered one when my 1.8T passat blew but I bought a second hand one instead (never fitted as the oil pump had blocked and sump was full of filings)

They are hit and miss, check over on Mitsubishi Lancer Register and you'll hear many peeps saying that they have had no problems with them, but also many more folks with horror stories, I think what shows from the stories is that the quality control and materials are inconsistent and occasionally poor, just not worth the risk imho.

adverts like this just make me uneasy ;)

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/204811286/GT1749_TURBOCHARGER.html

Sorry, that's 330 quid+vat just for the turbo,not including the garage charges. My old man know's his way around an engine so i'm not quite sure to get the turbo sorted through the gargage or let my father try and sort it out :S

Remember you need new nuts (fnar fnar), various copper washers (or anneal the ones you have), ideally a new oil feed pipe, possibly a reducer on the oil inlet if it doesnt come with the turbo, exhaust gasket, return pipe gasket., turbo to dp gasket, inlet manifold gasket, and an oil filter/change.

And depending on your mode of failure a clean out of exhaust/intercooler/inlet.

Removal/re-fit will cost you around £500 total inc labour and the parts you need to change. This would be the rate from a decent independent. But £330 for the turbo still seems very keen, perhaps too keen. Ask for some more information about the make and model they're proposing to supply. If it were me I would go for a Garrett GT1749VA or VB to re-fit.

This may seem obvious - but what evidence have the garage/mechanic who inspected it that it's a blown turbo? I presume all the clips and pipework have been inspected, along with the SMIC?

Steve

how is £330 (plus your old turbo) for a re-con unit way too cheap when a brand new unit can be bought for £630?

Beats me. Seems about right for a recon unit to me.

One of the vendors does recon them and modiffies the turbine blades, before re-ballancing it to OEM specs and then selling them. They are a well reputed turbo company too.

As already stated above .....

That is assuming that his Turbo is actually Knackered !!??

SO many times do people & garage's come to this conclusion without inspecting fully all of the Hose's & Joints Etc ... Of course the diagnosis is much easier if there is the Audiable & horrible screech / scream from the Turbo's turbine / Bearings when boosting Etc.

Dean

Have you had any problems since?

Nope, cant remember how many miles the turbo had on it when i bought it around 70k maybe, however, done another 15-20k on it now. Car is on 140000 miles now lol. Getting her mapped friday so we`ll see just how good the turbo still is then i guess. I have a spare in case tho :D

I bought her from Bath skoda and i haven't messed with her since i bought her about 16 months ago. The dealership didnt say anything about it being fettled with and looking at her history it looks pretty standard.

The garage has quoted me 120 for labour which doesn't sound to bad to me, plus 380 (inc vat) for the turbo, Im just having trouble trying to find out if ts a KKK or a garrett turbo hopefully she'll be back on the road by Friday