Should the Aircon work when in Fan position 1

PastyBoy

Over the weekend it was highlighted to me by the other half that the air con was no longer functioning when the dial was on fan position 1

In fan position 2 the AC light is on and air is super chilled or super heated dependant on temp setting.

When clicked back to position 1 the AC light blinks off and air becomes unconditioned and windows start to slowly steam up.

Now i can't remember if this is what it has always done or if previously the AC worked on position 1 and I have acquired an electrical gremlin?

I thought it used to work on one but for some reason couldn't be sure :thumbdown:

I'm hoping it's just a shorted switch. Everything still functions fine so can't see it being anything worse

Oh Poo

anyone know how to fix AC that doesn't work on fan position 1? :D

My air-con doesn't work on position 1 either, but I've never found that to be a problem.

If I were you I would do some more research before trying to fix something that might not be broken!

Bob.

Other thought - Climatronic disables the air con when the outside temperature is below 5C, to prevent ice buildup on the condensor damaging it. Anyone know if the air con on the plain heat plus air con system does the same?

Read the manual recently and found the aircon system does indeed NOT WORK if the outside temperture is less than +5C. The light on mine does come on if you select it with position 1 but tnothing happens. Bit of a stupid system really becuase every other car I use, the aircon does operate in cold temperatures on warm setting which helps no end to defrost the car.

Makes me laugh when it says in the manual that we shouldnt leave the air con unused for long periods of time, but with the recent winter, ive yet to even get the bloody thing going ever since my test drive back in October :dull:

Edited by Stevolution

Aircon? wossat then? :D Sounds like an excuse for carrying extra weight to me.

Instinct tells me your number 1 fan speed has died, therefore the car "thinks" you've turned off the fan on position 1, so it kills the A/C. Time to whip that box out and squeeze a hand in there, have a fiddle around, then do the work.....

Then change the resistor pack in the fabia..... [sorry!]

With the engine off (and radio) turn the ignition on and try the fan at no 1. Listen closely for any fan noise and/or air coming out of the vents. If you can't hear or feel anything then as mentioned it's the motor resistors.

Mine doesnt come on at position 1. Pretty sure it did when I got it, but its not really bothering me. Expect it wont get worse so I'm just leaving it!

You expect wrong. ;):rofl: Once the resistor pack starts to fail, number 2 will fail soon, and then finally 3 will go leaving just 4 working (which doesn't use the resistor pack so that speed will never die - Is a bit noisy though)

I would hunt out a new resistor pack soon though! :thumbup:

gh) I would hunt out a new resistor pack soon though! :thumbup:

Mine hasn't worked on position 1 since I got it and now it's 4 years old!

I didn't do anything about it because I thought that was the way it was designed to be.

Position 2 hasn't failed yet and I don't expect it to!

Bob.

Mines dosen't work on setting 1 either! Must be a very common fault then! Someone know a price/ code number for the resistor yet?

Seconded - position 1 has stopped completely and 2 is too much to leave on all the time.

Anyone got anymore info about what needs replacing, how to repalce it, and how much it'd cost?

Seconded - position 1 has stopped completely and 2 is too much to leave on all the time.

Anyone got anymore info about what needs replacing, how to repalce it, and how much it'd cost?

Heater resistor pack, for fan speed. IIRC the part is about £40 and takes an hour to replace. Glovebox out, and fiddly. There's a DIY guide on here somewhere.

I noticed this on mine, only works from two upwards. i figured it was cos 1 was just a filter fan not actually motor spinning. mind you, i turn my temp dial to cold and i have to fiddle it loads of times and use the cabin recirc button loads of times before it starts getting cold, even with the air con on! god knows whats causing that!

Had the very same thing on mine about a year ago, resistor pack, supplied and

fitted at dealership for around 60-70 quid.

They said what Jason advised, that number 2 setting would in all probability fail also.

Had no problems since. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed this on mine, only works from two upwards. i figured it was cos 1 was just a filter fan not actually motor spinning. mind you, i turn my temp dial to cold and i have to fiddle it loads of times and use the cabin recirc button loads of times before it starts getting cold, even with the air con on! god knows whats causing that!

If it doesn't get Baltic with the aircon on, I'd suggest an aircon service may be indicated.