The Superb's just too good for VW

Hi, Very interesting article and something i'm not surprised about really, i did look at the Passat when i bought my new Superb and i just couldn't justify the extra cost, the only thing that VW offered was the 4X4 Tdi with a DSG gearbox, the superb is much better car in my opinion, trim levels on the elegance are equally as good as the passat. It will be such ashame if they do down grade the Superb.

Cheers

Just when the marque has managed to raise its head above the parapit I fear that the it wil be back to chasing the "grey pound" again when Skoda will only appeal to retired pensioners who choke up our roads and are frequently being overtaken by tractors!! We have several like that in our area,, .Although they are easy prey to the salesmen,

Is downgrading Skoda really a solution?

I can't see a decree coming down from VW hq to Skoda "make your cars crapper"!

IMO what they should do is continue to postion Skoda in slightly quirky categories so there is less overlap (ie. Octavia on a Golf platform but bigger than a Golf/smaller than a Passat)

I think VW need to up there game and not force another marque to down theirs. The passat is very expensive for what it is, and the build quality just isnt there, they need to increase the VW pricing and improve the overall quality to make it something special.

If Skoda were as they used to be, I wouldnt be driving one today.

Its interesting that they say reduced sales for Skoda and letting people go.

But all I have seen on this site for the last few months is delays on deliveries and long lead times.

Go Figure.

Skoda have it on the button with their range.

The comment about costs in Czech too are priceless.

10-15 years ago it was the place to go.. Cheap Everything.

Then people get the taste of consumerism and workers demands increase then you move on to the next cheaper place to manufacture.

Its happening in China too, no one wants to be poor and work hard for ever.

VW cant afford to keep manufacturing in Germany (the gov bailout is stopping them from being effected by demand or lack of it) where do you go to after Slovakia ?

Its easy to keep profits up in VW Germany when the tax payer is paying your workers while you sit back and wait for things to improve.

The VWs of this world bought the Skodas of this world so they could sell the same R&D and parts to other customers but now they have so many manufacturers that the overlap is hurting their "Premium" brands.

HaHa

"The successor for the Skoda Superb will likely be significantly smaller than the current model, and it will not feature as much leather in its interior. "

will making it smaller not just turn it into an Octavia ?

recent discussion in the Octy II forum about the equioment and trim levels shows that Skoda are already trying to remove goodies and keep the price the same. And with the recent VAT reduction offer, they've only got themselves (or Skoda UK) to blame for the lower profits.

"The successor for the Skoda Superb will likely be significantly smaller than the current model, and it will not feature as much leather in its interior. "

will making it smaller not just turn it into an Octavia ?

recent discussion in the Octy II forum about the equioment and trim levels shows that Skoda are already trying to remove goodies and keep the price the same. And with the recent VAT reduction offer, they've only got themselves (or Skoda UK) to blame for the lower profits.

Thats a good idea isn't it, now there's no Superb shall I buy a Passat for 25k or shall I get a C class Merc, ooooh so hard, what will the man with the folding in his pocket choose.

This is classic pupil becomes the master example, my 100k mile Superb doesn't rattle,squeak or look tired, how many Passat owners can say the same, same parts bin, but who do you think has been putting those parts together better? bit like Hygena vs Schrieber for a kitchen.

In the end if they choose to make Skoda uncompetitive it will be a shame, because right now only Skoda makes a car that you aren't sardined into, and the other models all have appeal in their own way, Yeti, mini range rover, Roomster, upmarket breadvan, Fabia, it's ordinaryness makes it cute, Octavia, not one of my faves cos of the body, but again, what car can you think of that offers better value and gets the job done.

So to sum up, VW are sacking a man for being efficient, a man whose developed a range of cars that suits all types of users, and made a laughing stock brand into a major player, if VW had made it's cars a bit more homely inside they wouldn't be in this position, look in a Passat B5 and see whats missing that's included on a Superb, little touches like illuminated handles, what I'd like to see as long as it doesn't damage the companies quality is for someone to buy Skoda from VW and then send it right in for the jug, no more waiting for the latest engine etc.

At the end of they day VW is a group and internal competition will not benefit the group in a mature market.

If you look at current prices on VW it is clear they are trying to increase profit margin, ford are another and the new 5 series is going to cost 20% less to make all aimed at increasing profit.

The superb compared to other marques is underpirced probably about 2k in the UK whcih is profit lost. Obvisuly its a trade off between volume and profit but if Skoda is not making much profit then what is the point of reducing VW sales which no doubt are aimed at a higher profit margin.

I think we will see a move more toward the mazda 6 type of car, good value, reasonable technology array but not aiming to be an upmarket interior.

Interesting! Ive had a sneaking suspicion for a while that VW deliberatley told Skoda to downgrade the Fabia when the Mk2 came out , Im pretty sure the Mk1 Fabia cost VW thousands of lost Polo sales , just as I suspect the current (ie new) Superb will be costing them Passat and even Audi sales , especially the estate which seems to be gaining rave reviews everywhere I look.

The solution is simple. Give the Superb a mild facelift, re-badge it as an Audi 6.5 , up the price by 5 grand and the badge snobs will buy it in droves making the bosses mega bucks.

Manufacturers and dealers must think that most of the car buying public are idiots and they can mould and manipulate the market to suit themselves!!

i wonder if in a few years time if skoda with become a laughing stock again cos of this

Somehow I doubt this, I imagine that many potential VW customers will turn instead to the current superb combi, as it has a far higher spec than a similar passat, and at a much reduced cost. I know that I have, and at a saving of just under €5,000. This is due to the higher level of spec in the elegance combi, as opposed to the elegance passat, and also the combi is 170bhp, while the passat is 140bhp. My passat estate is being changed and I am returning to Skoda.

I would however think that current skoda owners and future buyers should at some stage contact the skoda head office in their country, and point out the facts why they currently own skodas and what will encourage them to keep buying, and also what actions if taken by skoda, may cause them to change.

For what it's worth, I think the whole VW force skoda downgrade is a load of crap (meaning the statement, definately no insult to OP here). There's already been pics of next gen octy II in Finnish car magazines and those show a larger octy III. Also the octy III combi has similar looks to new superb II combi. As for the hatch version, it looks brilliant! It was a bit more coupe'ish. If they manage to make it quieter than current one, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. The looks were just spot on and no sight of any cheaper materials in those pics.

I think the possible savings would be in the form that maybe Skoda won't get all the news engines etc as fast as they do now (which is damn slow at times..) and also they're be trying to find cheaper simpler ways of manufacturing the cars. This is similar to what VW has done to fex Golf. One of the main points of Golf VI was to look & feel better but be cheaper to build than golf V.

Anyway anyhow, I hope/wish etc that this is the case and not that they're told to make crappier cars.

As for what comes for slow sales, Octy II has now been the most sold car in all of Finland for the past several months. Skoda sales were in here up year-to-year by 7% last year, which I think is brilliant considering the downturn and all.. most other car manufacturers were seeing big lossess. And also Helkama auto, Finnish Skoda importer, was just elected by Skoda to be the importer of the year (world wide).. I think I can proudly say we have it good :)

//Juha

• 4 weeks later...

I would agree with that - I think this whole thing is motoring journalists just trying to make a story. Remember that the Superb is a newer design than the Passat, which is due for replacement at the end of this year - you can bet that the new one will move the game on somewhat and be the car to beat in its class, although it is unlikely to be quite as big inside as the Superb. In addition, all VW Group products have to be signed off by the main VW Group Board at all the major stages of their design and development - the Superb will have been no exception to this.

Now, a few personal observations, having owned both a Superb and a Passat. Overall, I would find it difficult to choose between the two, but would probably choose the Superb. The Superb is better equipped and far more spacious, but the Passat has the edge on interior build quality. They are similar to drive, but the Passat front seats are slightly more comfortable and the ride is better. However, the Superb has a more attractive interior.