Where to go from the fabia vrs

Hi

Im looking to change my fabia to somthing a little newer. I have my fabia 4 years and its been brill, no repairs just norm stuff. Its been remapped by jabba to 190 and its performance is awsome.

But its come to the time where its getting long in the tooth and need somthing newer. I just wanted advice on what to have a look at thats as exciting as mine.

It still needs to be a derv due to high milage and long journeys between leeds and london, and relativity cheap to insure, ie up to group 12. Iv considered a megane 2.0 DCi 175. does ne1 no what these are like compared to the fabia, i would prob end up with this remapped too to just over 200bhp.

If you could let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

I've been trying to work this out myself. I'd would like something with a little more space, and a little more poke, but I'm not interested in modifying the car at all.

For the money that I'd get for mine it'd have to be another Fabia. If I chuck a bit more money at it then I come up with the following.

Leon FR tdi. - Tempting, but I hear the ride is quite stiff and I don't reckon the SEAT's have the build quality of the rest of the VAG group.

Golf GT tdi. - But I'd just be paying for the badge.

Octy vRS - It'd have to be the estate as I reckon the hatch is butt ugly, and I don't need anything the size of the estate.

Volvo C30 D5. Tempting. But if I got a larger car, I'd like a larger boot and this doesn't have one.

Megan - French. Will break.

Toyota Auris 180 SR - Hmmmmmmm

Fiat Bravo. I believe the latest version is 165bhp. Hmmmm

Audi A3 2.0tdi 170 Quattro - Nice. £££

BMW 123d. - ££££££££££

If therefore you find a solution to the dilemma, please let me know. Ta.

Long shot, but, Vauxhall Vectra CDTi 150. They're pretty big, pretty pokey and mapped yo 200bhp will keep your right foot happy!

Build quality isn't THAT bad, but tbh the price difference would make up for this comparing the price to a similar aged & mileage A4 or Jetta etc

how about an astra SRI they come in CDTi form with 150 ponies and look pretty nice! i was thinking the same questions as you untill my turbo/egr died and now my clutch. guess im keeping the fab.

i would narrow it down to Astra SRI, Leon FR or A3 sport personally! sorry i had no more info, i gave up looking after my problems started :rofl:

I'd consider the RenaultSport Meg DCi 175 myself. Built separately to the rest of the Meg range at the RS factory in Dieppe. And it shows. Don't discount it on a blinkered view that Renaults aren't screwed together properly. Oh, and it'll handle better than the Fabia ever could :)

A bit bigger than the Fabia, looks great IMO and you'll get 50+MPG on a run.

Evo Car Review: R'sport Megane dCi 175 Cup

car_photo_217456_7.jpg

I'm a fan but the shape's not to everyone's taste....

EDIT: Example 2nd hand buy on PH

Edited by Wardy

Thanks guys, was kinda some what i was thinking, but like most id love the audi but dont have ££££ to chuck at it. hhhhmmmm....

Anybody any ideas where to shop for a megane to TD, im in leeds and the closest is in mansfield, and theres only a handfull on trader under 10K. ideally if i went for a megane i would have it in blue or red.

i looked at the one in DS cars, SOLD 3 weeks ago (ARRRGGGHHHH, take it bloody off then!!!)

Edited by landy55

I'd consider the RenaultSport Meg DCi 175 myself. Built separately to the rest of the Meg range at the RS factory in Dieppe. And it shows. Don't discount it on a blinkered view that Renaults aren't screwed together properly. Oh, and it'll handle better than the Fabia ever could :)

Thats a great shout Steve. I would never have thought of the derv megane. Nice looking motors an all IMO. :thumbup:

hmmm there is alot of choice out there. people mentioning astra 1.9cdti sri, may have 150 bhp but they arent really that quick. had one for a company car a while back and my vrs was quicker. not slow at all but certainly not massively quick. golf gt tdi's have alot of problems, learnt that from working for vw for six months!! diesel probably is gonna be the best bet when doing around 25k a year, petrol mpg has got loads better of late but i dont think its gonna match a diesel. good luck with the hunt anyway :thumbup:

Stick with a VAG diesel motor. A3 is the obvious choice. Renault handle nice certainly but they are made of tin foil and plastic and have weak gearboxes.

Nobody has mentioned the new Mazda 3 2.2D 185 Sport. Fully loaded with all the toys as standard (heated seats, sat nav etc), 185bhp, 400 torques, its a bloody good looking car, and they handle really very nicely indeed.

Quite good discounts available when buying new, and a few on the used market from £15k.

I love mine (well, it will do until I get a 130i/330i :p )

This a question I have asked myself a few times. If my car was written off or stolen, what would I buy to replace it? I still want a small hatch back of the same size, 3 or 5 doors, petrol or diesel. Having said that, I am now so used to a diesel and find it easy to drive (hard to stall) and economical that I may may stay with the dark stuff.

When I was looking for a car to replace my previous car I thought about a Bini Cooper or a Fiesta TDCI. I think If I bought one of them now, I would find the Mini too small and cramped and the Fiesta too slow (even the 90 BHP 1.6). If I had my car only a year or so then I would probably by a Furby SE, but now I've had it for 4 years I'd want something different.

Edited by Jim H

I've been trying to work this out myself. I'd would like something with a little more space, and a little more poke, but I'm not interested in modifying the car at all.

For the money that I'd get for mine it'd have to be another Fabia. If I chuck a bit more money at it then I come up with the following.

Leon FR tdi. - Tempting, but I hear the ride is quite stiff and I don't reckon the SEAT's have the build quality of the rest of the VAG group.

Golf GT tdi. - But I'd just be paying for the badge.

Octy vRS - It'd have to be the estate as I reckon the hatch is butt ugly, and I don't need anything the size of the estate.

Volvo C30 D5. Tempting. But if I got a larger car, I'd like a larger boot and this doesn't have one.

Megan - French. Will break.

Toyota Auris 180 SR - Hmmmmmmm

Fiat Bravo. I believe the latest version is 165bhp. Hmmmm

Audi A3 2.0tdi 170 Quattro - Nice. £££

BMW 123d. - ££££££££££

If therefore you find a solution to the dilemma, please let me know. Ta.

you say with the golf you would just be paying for the badge,its worth it and at resale time you loose much less as residuals are very strong

My father has had three Lagunas, all of which have been fine up to 100k. The latest is a diesel only issue has been the radio, MW :D stopped working. He had a Mondeo prior to the diesel, and disliked the interior. That had more faults with a boost pipe going. I suppose it is down to luck.

It's a good question this, I'm the same in that I feel the vRS is getting on a bit and seems to be losing it's edge on the road as ever improving hot hatches and newer diesels come out, even with a remap it's surprising what "ordinary" motors can keep up. So I have been looking for something with more poke, the problem is you test drive something fairly quick then get into the Fabia and it's not that much slower, costs peanuts to run, tax and insure and won't require a silly loan to buy.

One car that did tempt me was the Fiat Bravo 165, it has 165bhp/360nm standard and I think it looks a nice motor, but some cracking deals at the main dealer a little while ago with something like £4k off list price. In the end though, similar smallish space inside as the Fabia.

I also like the new Megane Coupes, I think they look great and they have a couple of really fast ones.

It's a tough one - think I may defect to petrol (due to low mileage) when I do change. In my case I want 4WD, lots of space, and something quick and it doesn't cost much - don't want much then! - must test drive a 1.8tsi Yeti.

Well, iv done it, found a megane 175, reasonable price as well, full kit inc pan roof and 18" wheels. if it breaks it breaks and i guess i learn my lesson the hard way lol.

Soooo....

I have a fabia vrs for sale now.

if anybody is interested plz pm me,

its 05/05 with 76k.

Mint cond, with 4 new boots (egal f1's)

service every 10k last one done 1500 miles ago.

Jabba remapp and air intake etc running @ 180 within the limits of clutch etc.

ipod adopter. 2/3 owners (x2 family members)

BTW some good points on which cars, money no object auid s3 for me, or maybe new mazda 3, excellent car n goes like stink with 2.2 derv.

thanks all

steve