vRS - What does it mean?

kevvrs_130

There is also a Scooby Impreza with the RS title :)

Both the evo rs and impress type rs do not have any badging of this on the vehicle due to ford copyrighting the 'rs' badge so to note this fact they have trim identification in the evo black mirrors and door handles on outside and more basic interior trim on impress I believe they all have roof vents and a couple of other things different.

The rs stands for rally sport except for Porsche which is german as stated in previous post. With skoda using a vrs is just the same as vauxhall/gm using gte/gsi in the 80's and 90's as not to pay another manufacturer for use of gti on there performance models

If you read the thread, the letter from Skoda explains that the v is in fact the Diacritical mark from above the S in Skoda.

The RS is the accronym - Rally Sport, and is common amongst many marques.

The V in VRS stands for "Victory" Rally Sport the reason why it is only on uk modles is because skoda have a british rally team, and as for skoda winning the court case the reason for this is because the word "rally sport" is a general word used in the WRC, IRC, ect therfore cannot realy belong to anyone as its not somthing created by ford only shortned by ford to RS which any company can do although the "ST" cannot be used as ford created the franchise "sport techinc"

Edited by Kie

The V in VRS stands for "Victory" Rally Sport the reason why it is only on uk modles is because skoda have a british rally team, and as for skoda winning the court case the reason for this is because the word "rally sport" is a general word used in the WRC, IRC, ect therfore cannot realy belong to anyone as its not somthing created by ford only shortned by ford to RS which any company can do although the "ST" cannot be used as ford created the franchise "sport techinc"

read the thread and letter from Skoda UK. it explains the correct meaning.

If you took the sir winston approach it could simply be a two finger salute to the ford rs as you pass on the straight, by the way sir winston nicked it from the english archers at the battle of agincourt who used the V to taunt the french knights, who promised to cut off their arrow fingers if they were captured, they waved the said fingers at them from the hill and basically said come and get em then :)

THIS myth was busted on QI... The two digits rampant was used PRIOR to this battle :p

In twenty years time, we will still be wondering what VRS stands for... By then, it will be VERY RUSTY SKODA

FLIP>>> just read rest of post and seen someone has beaten me to both these observations... I am not as fast as a VRS in my Greenie!!!

Edited by mrgf

ah i see but this doesnt explain why they dont use VRS in europian countries they only name it RS??

can't people read :giggle:

it is vrs due to ford having the RS rights in the UK so other manufacturers can't use these badges/naming schemes on their cars

But why do so many people insist on saying they have a Vrs or a VRs, and not a vRS? vRS is the correct terminology. :yes:

This is actually a "human factors" question, not a "getting it right" question. It's actually easier, as much mentally as physically, to type all lower case or conventional initial capitalisation than to type the irregular capitalisation vRS.

• 3 weeks later...

So what they are saying is the V is one of these. Caron

Latin_alphabet_%C5%A0%C5%A1.png

The Wikipedia page has the proper pronunciation of Skoda.

My missus is called Caron and likes nothing better than blowing away Audi and BMW drivers in our RS Octy. :D :D :D

• 6 months later...

=) And it annoys them so much when they are blow away by a Skoda pmsl

My experience also; had a driver of said german marque mouth a very polite greeting as he eventually caught up and passed me this afternoon on the M4

But why do so many people insist on saying they have a Vrs or a VRs, and not a vRS? vRS is the correct terminology. :yes:

Erm what does the badge on the cars say ?

• 1 year later...

In Australia "RS" is the colloquial or strine for Rat **** (or if the forum's edit system prefers "****" instead of the Oxford English Dictionary word for excrement how about "s__t", or perhaps "****e"?) - with the appropriate connotaions. As explained by an Aussie member of the Ford RS Owners Club one day.

Just thought you might like to know that......?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...