vRS - What does it mean?

kevvrs_130

'v' means "Ford had somehow managed to copyright the letters 'RS' in the UK so we needed to change it" (but not in other markets, hence why the UK is "special" in that respect).

I read something similar somewhere about the Porsche 911.... It was supposedly due to be called the 901 but Peugeot had the three numbers with a 0 in the middle copyrighted so Porsche changed it to 911. Don't know whether it's true or an urban myth. :smirk:

Cheers

Dave.

I read something similar somewhere about the Porsche 911.... It was supposedly due to be called the 901 but Peugeot had the three numbers with a 0 in the middle copyrighted so Porsche changed it to 911. Don't know whether it's true or an urban myth. :smirk:

Cheers

Dave.

That is not a myth it is true :thumbup:

If you took the sir winston approach it could simply be a two finger salute to the ford rs as you pass on the straight, by the way sir winston nicked it from the english archers at the battle of agincourt who used the V to taunt the french knights, who promised to cut off their arrow fingers if they were captured, they waved the said fingers at them from the hill and basically said come and get em then :)

• Like 1

If you took the sir winston approach it could  simply be a two finger salute to the ford rs as you pass on the straight, by the way sir winston nicked it from the english archers at the battle of agincourt who used the V  to taunt the french knights, who promised to cut off their arrow fingers if they were captured, they waved the said  fingers at them from the hill and basically said come and get em then :)

Believe it or not, that appears to be a myth that originated as recently as the 1950s - there isn't any historical evidence to suggest it was ever the case.

That's not to say I don't quite like the myth, mind... ;)

Reference: SD-2010/04-006667

Dear Bertee,

Thank you for your letter dated 21 April 2010, regarding the meaning of Vrs

Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding to your email but your question required a bit more research and I wanted to make sure that I gave you the correct answer.

After checking a number of websites I could see that there has been a lot of debate regarding the meaning behind the word Vrs and most people have got the rs part correct as being Rally Sport.

However it appears that no one has actually guessed what the V stands for and this is in fact the Diacritical mark you see above the S in Skoda.

Thank you for contacting Skoda Customer Services.

Kind regards

John Good

Customer Service Advisor

Skoda Auto Customer Services

[email protected]

08457 745 745

www.skoda.co.uk

End of discussion :giggle:

End of discussion :giggle:

To me this is the most obviouse reason why the V in vRS in fact I'm sure it was documented the Mk1 Octy vRS brochure..

http://new.skoda-auto.com/COM/about/info/news/News/Pages/2009_28_Vrchlabi100thAnniversary.aspx

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers

Dave.

It is true I believe, but I'm not sure if it ever got to litigation the 911 being a revised 901 rather than just a rename, in any case Ferrari got away with the 308 which of course Peuguot have actually gone on to use as a model name...

Edited by juan27

Just been trying to research this more and found an uncorroborated suggestion that the V stands for Vrchlabi which is a main Skoda plant that celebrated it's 100th Annniversary in May last year.

This is what I heard some years ago. It has established its own ethos now anyways and Ford is an almost bankrupt company with low rent interiors and technically 5 years behind VW. They nearly ruined Aston Martin, Jaguar and Volvo. At least they have the wisdom to build most of their European engines in the UK and also they are better than GM and Chrysler but that is a fairly low bar.

Smart move by VAG using VRS as the tag and establishing own identity.

Edited by lol

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Victor Rally Sport for anyone who was guessing

i much prefer very Rapid Skoda tho

regards

matt

If you read the thread, the letter from Skoda explains that the v is in fact the Diacritical mark from above the S in Skoda.

The RS is the accronym - Rally Sport, and is common amongst many marques.