Just got a vRS, give me some ideas please

Hey all,

I've just bought my dream car, a silver fabby vRS. I've always wanted one and now I've left "company car land" I thought I'd treat myself.

Absolutely love it, just drove my usual 150 mile commute and got 63.9mpg. I know they lie sometimes but I've hardly used any diesel so it can't be too far out.

Anyway, I'm looking for upgrade ideas. So far I've got the following listed...

PD160 intake

Green cotton filter - What is it and where do I get it from?

Suspension upgrade - Which is best? I don't really want it lowered, just less roll with the same comfort.

Remove rubbing strips - How easy it it to do and what do I need?

Brake upgrade - How much does this cost and what is the best kit?

Can anybody give me any other ideas?

Also, whilst driving it for so long today I noticed a slight knocking sound when I went over bumps. It only showed up on small bumps and I couldn't tell if it was coming from the front or back.

Any help and ideas welcome, please give a round about figure if you can.

Many thanks,

Scott.

Knocking is most likely to be console bushes :thumbup:

Pipercross Panel filters (Pretty much same as Green) can be bought from Awesome GTI (Site sponsors) For £28

Rubbing strips you need to be careful of because there may be rust underneath

By Brake upgrade i presume you mean 312mm from a Mk1 Octavia vRS/ Audi TT mk1? Best looking in the classfieds on here or on ebay or other VAG Forums

Suspension is all personal preference and i havent changed mine as of yet so i'll let someone else deal with that :)

Hope that helps

Craig

Food for thought might be popping along on the 24th to Castle Combe (hopefully not too far for you from the NW?) as there will be lots of idea-generating machinery there. :)

See my sig for link.

Hear Hear

Absolutely agree.

I don't. :no:

Well modified cars do everything better then their standard counterpart - go better, drive better and even stop better ( brake upgrade) :yes:

The only thing they can be worse at is comfort/ride quality.

Oh and they get more mpg to :p

Edited by Thirdtimeluck

its down to personal choice though isn't it if we all did the same what a boring place it would be.

as for modding is how much do you want to spend :p

I've got eibach dampers and springs which lower it abit and improve things abit, though it does make it harsher of rough surfaces (even more so with 17" wheels). 312mm look on fleabay and alike or you could just upgarde the discs and pads.

I run a green cotton in mine but others have been used by members on here all around the £30ish mark

best advice is just shop about and see what mods fit your budget.

A good suspension improvement is the Eibach spring & Koni Fsd shockers mod coupled with a Rear ARB. Excellent for road use reducing roll and a small reduction in ride height [25mm] but not enough to ground the car on speed bumps. Comfort is retained for cruising along M. ways. I wouldn't remove the bump strips though as there is a risk of pulling off the paint.

Console bushes are worth the upgrade. For reduced roll look for a jabba rear anti roll bar. For improved brake feel look at the 312 upgrade.

Another good option which I rate above the rest is driver training.

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

I understand the "leave it alone" remarks but that just isn't me. Everything I own has been made a little better/different with little mods here and there.

I've been in contact with Challenge motors in Chelt, it's going in for a service soon and I'll ask them to give me a quote for what I want doing.

Main things are remap, pd160 and filter at moment.

Then I'll start on the suspension.

I want to keep the ride height but decrease the amount of body roll. Will fitting ARB's be enough?

Cheers.

Hey all,

I've just bought my dream car, a silver fabby vRS. I've always wanted one and now I've left "company car land" I thought I'd treat myself.

Absolutely love it, just drove my usual 150 mile commute and got 63.9mpg. I know they lie sometimes but I've hardly used any diesel so it can't be too far out.

Anyway, I'm looking for upgrade ideas. So far I've got the following listed...

PD160 intake

Green cotton filter - What is it and where do I get it from?

Suspension upgrade - Which is best? I don't really want it lowered, just less roll with the same comfort.

Remove rubbing strips - How easy it it to do and what do I need?

Brake upgrade - How much does this cost and what is the best kit?

Can anybody give me any other ideas?

Also, whilst driving it for so long today I noticed a slight knocking sound when I went over bumps. It only showed up on small bumps and I couldn't tell if it was coming from the front or back.

Any help and ideas welcome, please give a round about figure if you can.

Many thanks,

Scott.

to give my opinion on this, the green cotton filter doesn't fit properly i've heard. Also why waste money on a performance filter which you will then need to buy a cleaning kit for and periodicly clean it and even then you are in danger of fouling the MAF. I spent over a year investigating performance air filters,speaking to people but in the end decided against it. Instead I buy a new OEM air filter (£12) and replace it ever 6 months.It offers better protection and lets in less dirt and dust. There is an scientific study of performance air filters V Oem paper ones. Which shows just how crap the performance ones are.

if you want to tighten things up the jabba anti roll bar is a good option,along with uprated cupra bushes.

if you're wanting to get a remap get it done last and remember to declare it on your insurance.

Edited by newskoda