Yeti space saver wheel

terrace

Having recently purchased a second-hand Yeti Elegance 4x4 140 bhp, I am unhappy with the can of goo for a spare. Having read some of the forums it appears that other members feel the same. As my vehicle was second-hand, I did not have the option to fit the spare as a Factory Fitted Option.

Does anyone know if the space saver wheel for the Octavia will also fit my model of Yeti, and will it fit in the floor well ? In view of the number of Octavias around, it seems the possibility of picking up a second-hand spacer saver is more likely with this model than the Yeti.

Having recently purchased a second-hand Yeti Elegance 4x4 140 bhp, I am unhappy with the can of goo for a spare. Having read some of the forums it appears that other members feel the same. As my vehicle was second-hand, I did not have the option to fit the spare as a Factory Fitted Option.

Does anyone know if the space saver wheel for the Octavia will also fit my model of Yeti, and will it fit in the floor well ? In view of the number of Octavias around, it seems the possibility of picking up a second-hand spacer saver is more likely with this model than the Yeti.

Hi and welcome,

to answer your question then it depends on the rim and tyre size, as I believe there are a number of variations fitted to the Octavia as a spare. Tools though should be the same.

To fit both onto the Yeti and into the allocated space you really need the designated set- up as follows; rim size 6Jx16 ET50 (5x112 wheel bolt spacing) and fitted with a 195/60 R16 89H tyre.

You may find these two links helpful:

My link

My link

Regards,

TP

+1 for this question.

If I am going to fit a speed restricted spare then I might as well use a proper skinny spacesaver rather than the large nearly full size wheel that Skoda supply. This way I'll at least have some extra space in the boot.

It wouldn't be difficult to construct a boot floor out of plywood covered with car carpet (the reason I took the boot carpet out of my Passat estate before scrappage got it).

tom

+1 for this question.

If I am going to fit a speed restricted spare then I might as well use a proper skinny spacesaver rather than the large nearly full size wheel that Skoda supply. This way I'll at least have some extra space in the boot.

It wouldn't be difficult to construct a boot floor out of plywood covered with car carpet (the reason I took the boot carpet out of my Passat estate before scrappage got it).

tom

Hi Tom,

could try a VW Golf V skinny spacesaver, as fitted to my previous 4motion and remember the Yeti boot floor is derived from that of the Golf 4motion so even the Golf polystyrene trim around the spare might fit.

Personally prefer the official option and a slightly smaller boot but each to there own.

Regards,

TP

Would much rather do 50 on the official spare wheel than 20 on a skinny wheel.

The official wheel/tyre looks much better suited to job - even for a relatively short distance. :0)

Would much rather do 50 on the official spare wheel than 20 on a skinny wheel.

The official wheel/tyre looks much better suited to job - even for a relatively short distance. :0)

I think you will find that the speed limit for the skinny wheel is also 50mph/80kph.

Even though they have the same speed limits I find the appearance of the "skinny" disturbing. Hence my reference to 20mph.

Hopefully won't have to use it.:)

Hi and welcome,

to answer your question then it depends on the rim and tyre size, as I believe there are a number of variations fitted to the Octavia as a spare. Tools though should be the same.

To fit both onto the Yeti and into the allocated space you really need the designated set- up as follows; rim size 6Jx16 ET50 (5x112 wheel bolt spacing) and fitted with a 195/60 R16 89H tyre.

My link

My link

Regards,

TP

Hi and welcome,

My link

My link

Regards,

TP

Contacted my local Skoda dealer re a spare wheel (Steel rim 6J 16 ET50) + tyre, was told this was only available as a factory fitted option to a new vehicle,and quoted me a spare as fitted, i.e. Spitzberg alloy 7J 17 ET45 + tyre £££££ !!, plus loss of boot space.

In view of this, does anyone have any information as to where a steel rim 6J can be purchased, and also from where a skinny space saver might be available ? Also does running with the skinny damage the transmission in any way ?? I've heard that it could.

Contacted my local Skoda dealer re a spare wheel (Steel rim 6J 16 ET50) + tyre, was told this was only available as a factory fitted option to a new vehicle,and quoted me a spare as fitted, i.e. Spitzberg alloy 7J 17 ET45 + tyre £££££ !!, plus loss of boot space.

In view of this, does anyone have any information as to where a steel rim 6J can be purchased, and also from where a skinny space saver might be available ? Also does running with the skinny damage the transmission in any way ?? I've heard that it could.

Hi terrace,

think your dealer is talking nonsense, should be able to order any part fitted to a UK vehicle as standard or factory optional equipment, otherwise how can you repair it. If there not willing to fire up the parts computer then try another dealer. Remember you have access to the part numbers anyway My link

Regard a skinny spacesaver than I believe the Haldex GEN 4 is designed to handle spacesaver spares but would go for the recommended spare myself, if nothing else but for insurance purposes.

Regards,

TP

Maybe you are talking to the wrong guy in the Skoda dealership?

Call the parts department and give them the numbers, which TP so kindly transferred to the parts list. They should be happy to sellthem to you. The wheel is a standard steel rim with the right offset. The tyre is also a standard, so your only worry is the Skoda parts - which are available, even in the UK. You may have to wait a bit for shipment from Czech, but so waht?

Edited by Agerbundsen

Hi

I believe all the parts are available for the spare wheel. However, I did contact Skoda who seemed to confirm what my dealer said when I got my ee-demo Yeti, that a spare wheel and all the fittings including jack and wheelbrace may be introduced as a kit.

John

Hi

I believe all the parts are available for the spare wheel. However, I did contact Skoda who seemed to confirm what my dealer said when I got my ee-demo Yeti, that a spare wheel and all the fittings including jack and wheelbrace may be introduced as a kit.

John

I ordered the wheel/floor/jack back in feb, my dealer told me yesterday that there is a consignment on it's way to the UK and they can see it coming on their system!

• 1 year later...

Third puncture in 15 months today. Spotted it in time before having to use the tyre goo again. Thus I am going to get a skinny 'space saver' spare for when I'm going further afield - just in case I get a punture that the goo can't mend.

Does anyone know what spec of space saver I would need?

What would I need to know for buying one?

(Btw, the reason I don't want a full size spare is because I'm always lugging around heaps of stuff like bikes and climbing kit, and the 'false floor' option wouldn't work for me because I have the Skoda internal bike rack fitted)

Edited by Abominable

Hi if you want the really skinny spare get part number IK0601027B03C wheel off a vw parts stockist and a 125/70R18 tyre made by continental that should do the job for you , thats what i use in mine as i dont want to waste too much space .

DSC_0705

and dont forget a jack and brace too !

DSC_0704

the foam inserts can be bought too but need modification to keep the height down

5L6 858 857 B iNSERT (PLASTIC BOX)

5L6 858 857 C INSERT

5L6 858 857 A INSERT

5L0 853 909 CLIP - 6 PIECES

1K0 803 899 E SCREW

1T0 011 031 C JACK

4D0 012 219 A WRENCH

Hope this helps

Peter

Or - You can buy a complete spare wheel kit with the wheel and tyre (16" full size), false floor, polysytrene boxes, fittings and tools for about 200 squids from your friendly skoda dealer :thumbup:

Hi if you want the really skinny spare get part number IK0601027B03C wheel off a vw parts stockist and a 125/70R18 tyre made by continental that should do the job for you , thats what i use in mine as i dont want to waste too much space .

DSC_0705

Hope this helps

Peter

Nice one, thanks Peter. You've made a neat job of that. I intent to have my spare just float about in the boot!

I'm presuming you have checked that wheel/tyre combo has the correct bolt circle diameter, external radius, offset and all that clever stuff etc etc?

Edited by Abominable

Yes all checked and worked out within all specs , it's one of those things i cant get wrong i'd never live it down!

Peter

Edited by Pete-n

You can also get the 16" steel wheel from VW. Then you will get a silver wheel that will look MUCH better on the car than a horrid black Å koda one. Check out part numbers here:

http://vwcaddy.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=80

Size: 16"

Size: 16 " 6J X 16 Vitus, Silber" VW

PCD: 5X112

ET: 50

Tyres: 205/55/16

Partnumber: 1T4 071 496 A 666

Size: 16 " 6J X 16 Sima, Silver" VW

Partnumber: 1T4 071 496 C 8Z8

Size: 16 " 6,5J X 16 Enea , Silver" Seat

Partnumber: 5P0 601 025 J 72V

Size: 16 " 6,5J X 16 Elio , Silver" Seat

Partnumber: 5P0 601 025 K 72V

You can also get the 16" steel wheel from VW. Then you will get a silver wheel that will look MUCH better on the car than a horrid black Å koda one. Check out part numbers here:

http://vwcaddy.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=80

Size: 16"

Size: 16 " 6J X 16 Vitus, Silber" VW

Partnumber: 1T4 071 496 A 666

Size: 16 " 6J X 16 Sima, Silver" VW

Partnumber: 1T4 071 496 C 8Z8

Size: 16 " 6,5J X 16 Enea , Silver" Seat

Partnumber: 5P0 601 025 J 72V

Size: 16 " 6,5J X 16 Elio , Silver" Seat

Partnumber: 5P0 601 025 K 72V

Stupid question. Which of the above would I need for a 170 Elegance 4x4 with standard tyres on spitzberg wheels?

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by StevieK

Stupid question. Which of the above would I need for a 170 Elegance 4x4 with standard tyres on spitzberg wheels?

Cheers,

Steve

Those are standard silver VW 16" wheels. Thus they are just really silver equivalents of the normal (slightly smaller) 16" spare the Yeti optionally comes with. They are not the narrower spacesaver as Pete listed above. Apologies for the confusion.