Android Apps

foo

I've been really impressed by an app called Tasker. It automatically performs tasks based on certain triggers such as location or time. There are similar apps on the market such as Locale and more recently PhoneWeaver, but I have only compared this to PhoneWeaver.

The interface is a little basic and can be a little off putting for less technical savvy users, but I think it's fantastic and more reliable than PhoneWeaver once configured.

I only have mine doing basic tasks like automatically enabling BT when in the car to connect to the handsfree and at the same time enabling GPS in case its needed on my journey and temporarily disabling the key guard and screen timeout. I also have it automatically enable GPS when using apps such as Maps and disable it again afterwards.

Having looked at the website, I have only touched the surface of what this app is capable of, you can pretty much configure your phone to do anything you want whenever you want automatically or manually. Seems a bargain at £3.49 to me, although a 14 day free trial is also available from their site.

http://tasker.dinglisch.net/ (Don't be put off by the basic website)

http://www.appbrain.com/app/net.dinglisch.android.taskerm

theres a new ver of the facebook for android app out now too emoticon-0144-nod.gif

I'm keep getting a Force Close everytime I try to access my Friends list... Looks more polished than the old one, but I hope they sort this out. PITA! I still think the iPhone version is better.

One app I couldn't live without is In app toggle. If you buy the donate version for £0.99 you get the version that will do bluetooth and wifi. Basically long-press the search button and you get a pop-up with the option to toggle wifi or bluetooth (and voice search). It can be used in any app so no having to go back to the homescreen to use a widget etc.

Really liking the game Hyper jump at the moment. Very similar to the equally addictive doodle jump but faster and nicer graphics.

Phil

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Apps I have

Calvin and Hobbes

Air Control - love this one

Air Attack

Bluetooth File Transfer

Co Pilot Live

Easy Tether

Dolphin, Opera, and XScope GL Browsers

Live Chat

MSN Talk and MSN Droid (as MSN talk seems to list me as offline)

Morse Coder

Mr T Soundboard

Paper Toss

Rush Hour

Speaking Pad

Starcraft Soundboard

Strobelights (makes siren noises)

Sudoku Daily

System

Traffic Control

Virtual Walkie Talkie

and Voice Recorder.

I have lost several days of my life now to the Beta angry Birds. I think I need the FroYo update though, as the game will be too big for my memory when it comes out :( Still the Orange update is due very soon :)

I have lost several days of my life now to the Beta angry Birds. I think I need the FroYo update though, as the game will be too big for my memory when it comes out :( Still the Orange update is due very soon :)

As far as I'm aware, the Orange update is already out and has been for a week or so... Try doing a manual check for updates, it should be there. :)

("Menu > Settings > About Phone > System software updates > Check Now" for anyone who isn't sure)

Edited by Ant.

As far as I'm aware, the Orange update is already out and has been for a week or so... Try doing a manual check for updates, it should be there. emoticon-0100-smile.gif

("Menu > Settings > About Phone > System software updates > Check Now" for anyone who isn't sure)

Oooh thanks for the heads up. Anyone tried it on Orange yet? And will I lose anything if I install the new FroYo OS, or is it just an update of Eclair?

It's not supposed lose anything, but make a backup just incase. You can download a 30 day trial of the backup software gadgetman suggested from their website too. http://www.rerware.com/

Some people are having issues with the update, but you're only only going to hear about them rather than from the vast majority whose update went smoothly. I've had no issues with HTC's version. :thumbup:

The forum mentioned above is great for info.

Just completed the installemoticon-0148-yes.gif. It was interesting that there is a 2.1.1 sort of install before you can finally install the FroYo (the first install is a biggie too). The phone offered to back up automatically for me and against my better judgment I went with it. Well the good news is so far everything has reinstalled just as per the Éclair OS and my personal settings appear intact. I have found the 720 video and wifi hotspot buttons so far (very neat) and also the apps sharing feature. Apart from that I haven’t found anything else yet, except, I can finally move Apps to my SD card (roll on the full Angry Birds :D ) Hopefully my battery lie will improve a little too. Thanks for the advice guys :)

Glad you got 2.2 installed ok! Unfortunately you can't move all apps to the sd card yet until the developers update their apps to support it. However, there is a guide on the forums mentioned above, showing how to change the default install location for all apps to the sd card without rooting. Worth a look. :)http://androidforums.com/desire-tips-tricks/160560-force-apps-install-sd-without-root.html

It's also worth mentioning, if you plan on recording videos in 720p, It's recommend getting a faster class 4 or 6 SD card. I'm using an 8GB Class 2 card, and playback is very jerky. :(

Having Flash is great! :D

Edited by Ant.

Only found two gripes. There is a bug in the alerts for emails (the alert sounds only clicks) and the battery life is definitely no better and seems slightly worse!! (I even killed all apps before noticing this too :( )

Angry Birds (Full Version) for Android is now out and free! :rofl:

http://www.getjar.com/adp/Angry-Birds

Rovio have released the full version of Angry Birds today for free via the link above. A Market version will be made available this weekend. Currently this version is ad-supported, so you may see the occasional advert, but Rovio do plan on releasing an ad-free pay for version in the future!

Have fun! :)

Edit: Now available from the Market:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/angry-birds/com.rovio.angrybirds

:)

Edited by Ant.