Skoda Dealers

RogN

I'm currently waiting the delivery of my 3rd Skoda and I'm just wondering how members of this forum get on with their dealers?

When I purchased my first Octavia I was stood in the showroom for nearly 45 minutes before I got asked if they could help. My wife was all for walking out and buying something else they were that bad.

The Scout experience 2 years ago was somewhat better, it only took 10 minutes to get a sales person to take notice that I wanted to order something from them

Before ordering my Yeti, the dealer was helpful - but since then I feel that I'm talking to a black hole, with emails and return phone calls being ignored.

I will add that their servicing department has been first class (not that I've needed anything other than servicing), so its just the sales section that almost seem that they cant be bothered.

Is this the norm or just this one in Oxfordshire?

Roger

Have you seen this area of the Forum?

http://briskoda.net/forums/forum/53-skoda-retailer-network-reviews/

I've been out of the Skoda world for a few years, but can't say I was overly impressed with the one in Oswestry, but they did at least try to make ammends. When we are in the market I will give them a chance to quote, plus I have one or two others to consider. My biggest probplem is that the nearest are all at least an hours drive from me!

I'm currently waiting the delivery of my 3rd Skoda and I'm just wondering how members of this forum get on with their dealers?

When I purchased my first Octavia I was stood in the showroom for nearly 45 minutes before I got asked if they could help. My wife was all for walking out and buying something else they were that bad.

The Scout experience 2 years ago was somewhat better, it only took 10 minutes to get a sales person to take notice that I wanted to order something from them

Before ordering my Yeti, the dealer was helpful - but since then I feel that I'm talking to a black hole, with emails and return phone calls being ignored.

I will add that their servicing department has been first class (not that I've needed anything other than servicing), so its just the sales section that almost seem that they cant be bothered.

Roger

Sounds like some of the ones here in bristol.

no complaints AT ALL about Sinclair Skoda in Swansea - honest and really helpful.

Freshacre- how was the long drive to scottieland? in the new Yeti B)

Incredibly I have been into an unnamed local dealership here three times requesting figures over the period Dec to April, and despite giving business cards, printed sheet with 3 phone numbers 2 email addresses, I still never got a single figure from them. I have now had to go to james at Allams before I actually got anyone in a Skoda dealership to actually give me a price for a car I wish to order. I have been fortunate that throughout my working life I have always been able to buy a new car and this is my first time buying a Skoda but god in heaven has this been an ordeal !! The last episode (3rd time of asking) the so called salesman scribbled my name and details on a small piece of paper he tore off something, and I thought "oh very professional", and of course heard sod all.

I contacted 2 online brokers who deal with franchised delerships and they were very helpful and very responsive.

So in answer to your post my local experiences have been worse than terrible, but thankfully they do not seem to be the norm, and now I dont care what price they would offer I simply would not use them for anything. Thankfully Allams seem very good, as do Sinclairs of Swansea.

Must admit it does make you wonder what the after sales side of things might be like. If it was not for the fact that I liked the Yeti so much I would easily have just gone to a different make and another dealership. Even the other 3 cars I tried in test drives with the Skoda, were very helpful and courteous, so it certainly seems just a Skoda dealer thing with these particular ones.

:S

I live in Oxfordshire and work in Buckinghamshire (next door county) and had a number of dealers to choose from. I went to Allams at Epsom because they support Briskoda and James often posts info here. I haven't been disappointed at all with my choice. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

............. I'm just wondering how members of this forum get on with their dealers?

.......... I was stood in the showroom for nearly 45 minutes before I got asked if they could help............... but since then I feel that I'm talking to a black hole, with emails and return phone calls being ignored.

............. so its just the sales section that almost seem that they cant be bothered.

You could be describing my experiences with my three local Mercedes dealers!! I am now awaiting delivery of a Superb estate. Fortunately, my local Skoda dealer is Allams of Epsom and I am being dealt with by James. He is very helpful. I did buy a second hand car from him about 18 months ago for my youngest son and we were pleased with him then as well. :thumbup:

Roger

I dont really understand this ethos. I've just ordered a Scout. I walked into the Showroom and made a beeline for the first Salesman I saw.

If you want to make an order and you know what you want then why did you just stand around for 45 minutes ? You are allowed to approach them you know.

Are some of these Skoda dealers using Volkswagen dealer trained staff?

Seems like it.

Even when I cornered a local VW sales 'executive' with an enquiry about a Golf Plus (apologies) he could hardly be bothered to point the car out, just gave me the keys!

(No risk, it was blocked in by other cars.)

If they can't be bothered with you when you want to buy, what's the after sales service going to be like?

My Skoda dealer experience when buying the Octavia was better, but not impressive.

I know dealers are not all the same, and I hope to get a good response when I start trying to get a demo on a 1.2 TSI DSG Yeti.

(Might end up going to Allams in Epsom, bit of a trek but at least their reputation seems good.)

I dont really understand this ethos. I've just ordered a Scout. I walked into the Showroom and made a beeline for the first Salesman I saw.

If you want to make an order and you know what you want then why did you just stand around for 45 minutes ? You are allowed to approach them you know.

If they cant be arsed to make an approach to you out of courtesy and ask if there is anything you are interested in (which should be obvious stood in a car showroom) then why are they there ? If they are not interested in selling cars and helping customers make choices, we might as well have automated showrooms with no staff in them at all. Everyone can read a brochure.

In my situation even though I was ready to buy a car I was not going to beg someone to give me the sales figures, but a printed sheet of paper with my requirements and trade in and finance requirements exactly, and still 3 visits later not a single person could be bothered to call or email me, quite frankly isnt good enough. If they have that level of interest in you at the start of the buying process, what is it going to be like when you have the car and have a problem ???

Sorry but customer service starts the minute you walk through the door.

:|

No problems whatsoever with Simpsons of Colne. My Yeti is the second car I've bought from them.

Andrew Riley in Sales and Adam Calvert in Parts are both worth special mentions. Great service all round.

For what it's worth, when I go to look at a car, I will already have done my homework. The last thing I want is a Salesman. I don't go into the Showroom, to be sold a car, I go in to buy one.

Subtle difference!

John

If they cant be arsed to make an approach to you out of courtesy and ask if there is anything you are interested in (which should be obvious stood in a car showroom) then why are they there ? If they are not interested in selling cars and helping customers make choices, we might as well have automated showrooms with no staff in them at all. Everyone can read a brochure.

In my situation even though I was ready to buy a car I was not going to beg someone to give me the sales figures, but a printed sheet of paper with my requirements and trade in and finance requirements exactly, and still 3 visits later not a single person could be bothered to call or email me, quite frankly isnt good enough. If they have that level of interest in you at the start of the buying process, what is it going to be like when you have the car and have a problem ???

Sorry but customer service starts the minute you walk through the door.

:|

I can see where you are coming from but I'm just the opposite. When I enter the showroom I prefer to be left alone until Im ready.

We purchased our car from Rainworths and Steve was an excellent host throught.

I do agree with you concerning emails and calls however. Not answering either is very bad form.

I have bought 2 demos, fabia 3 collecting yeti soon,from Simpsons ( Yarmouth ) and they are fine ( UK dealer of the year last 2 years ) . Collect car for service from home, leave courtesy car at no extra charge. Had minor warranty service work at Robinsons ( Norwich ) been very good even though I did not purchase car from them.

It's not just me then. A couple of months ago we called into our local Skoda dealer, mid Sunday afternoon. The "sales" person on duty, ( and I use the term loosely ), was watching sport on the showroom television. It seemed at the time that we were a bit of a nuisance for interrupting, but we eventually had a discussion about trade in etc. and were promised a telephone call the next day, to arrange a test drive if we were happy with the quote. Two weeks later I called him. Sales guy was so apologetic. It was "so much not him " , not to do what he promised. He thanked me for the opportunity to redeem himself, and promised that he would call back within one and a half hours, with his very best quote as an apology. You know what ? I am still waiting his call. Even now, I am still totally gobsmacked. Car salesmen just do not give up in the real world. Are Skoda really doing so well in this economic climate, that they are fending off new sales ?

Since I was keen to try the Yeti, we travelled 30 miles to ALS Autos at Ely. Thankfully they were far more professional and helpful. Even put on trade plates on the pristine showroom model, so that I could try the 110BHP 2WD version.

They got my order.http://briskoda.net/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/emoticon-0148-yes.gif

I would say that it all comes down to timing like in so many areas of the 'service industry' turn up at a busy period and you end up waiting eg sunday lunchtime in a pub or a car dealer on a saturday morning.

Avoid the obvious times and you get better service. Also very much depends on the enthusiasm of the person dealing with you.

Maybe because of the more competitive natrue of being in the London area I've not encountered any such lack of care towards potential customers with Skoda Dealers. With other car brands it's a very mixed bag from the very good to the plain dreadful, the Missus and I walked out of a Honda dealership because the salesman wouldn't get off his backside away from the sport on tv to acknowledge our presence in the showroom.

No problems whatsoever with Simpsons of Colne. My Yeti is the second car I've bought from them.

Andrew Riley in Sales and Adam Calvert in Parts are both worth special mentions. Great service all round.

For what it's worth, when I go to look at a car, I will already have done my homework. The last thing I want is a Salesman. I don't go into the Showroom, to be sold a car, I go in to buy one.

Subtle difference!

John

So how do you get the figures from the salesman without indulging in some sort of dialogue then ??? You just ask how much, they tell you, you pay ??

Must have more money than me ! Homework yes, I knew the brochure inside out and I knew exactly what I wanted as options, but I didnt have a price including any discounts, or a trade in figure for my car, and without the power of ESP I cannot make up the figures ?

Nobody likes to be "hassled" when you walk into a showroom, but surely you expect a little courtesy even if its to ask if you are OK and need anything ? Thats got to be basic manners if nothing else and surely nobody would mind that ?

What is intolerable is to have to ask for figures and then be completely ignored which is totally unprofessional and unacceptable.

Just my view and I want to be treated the way I would treat others.

I would say that it all comes down to timing like in so many areas of the 'service industry' turn up at a busy period and you end up waiting eg sunday lunchtime in a pub or a car dealer on a saturday morning.

Avoid the obvious times and you get better service. Also very much depends on the enthusiasm of the person dealing with you.

Maybe because of the more competitive natrue of being in the London area I've not encountered any such lack of care towards potential customers with Skoda Dealers. With other car brands it's a very mixed bag from the very good to the plain dreadful, the Missus and I walked out of a Honda dealership because the salesman wouldn't get off his backside away from the sport on tv to acknowledge our presence in the showroom.

It's not just Skoda dealers. I bought my V50 from Parks Volvo in Ayr. Called 5 days before to arrange a test drive on the Saturday. They had the 2.0d model for me to drive. Called the afternoon before to confirm I was coming. When I arrived total disinterest. Pulled a 2yr old V50 off the forecourt. Salesman drove it 4 miles maximum turned it around and I drove it back. He wasn't having a longer teast drive for some reason. I did buy from them because of the price 20% off plus £2k scrappage allowance but the experience was total pants.

Stuart **** of Ingram Skoda in Ayr just threw us the keys to his Octavia Scout and let us go unaccompanied for a couple of hours, as did Stan Palmer Subaru in Carlisle with the Forester D. The guys at both these places were good. IIRC we just turned up unannounced early Sun afternoon at Stan Palmer and he just copied our licences, gave us the keys and off we went. lloyds Volvo in Carlisle similar good experience.

What it boils down to is common courtesy and sales training. Some of these "salesmen" will be paid peanuts, given a shiny suit and think they can sell with no interest, product knowledge or training. Others will be decent human beings, hard working, honest and keen to please and hope for repeat business. Admittedly it must be hard to distinguish the tourists from the genuine buyers. I think it is irrespective of dealer franchise. I think the key is to communicate with a "name" at the franchise before you visit.

In the last 2 years I have bought 2 cars (MX5 and V50) test driven various cars at various dealerships(10 to 12 test drives) and would say a 50% positive experience. Parks Volvo outshine all for total ineptitude but there were four excellent ones. Ingram Skoda, Lloyds Volvo, Stan Palmer Subaru and Brown Brothers Mazda Peebles. I didn't buy from any of these but have used lloyds Volvo for warranty work, servicing and to fit a tow bar and they have been consistently good.

No wonder internet sales are so good.

Edited by loskie

Hi All,

My dealer is fantastic! Grey Gables Garage, just outside Witney Oxfordshire. My Yeti is the 4th car from them. Also have a Fabia 2. Grey Gables is a family garage with Sam (owner) and his wife living next door to the garage.

Nothing is too much trouble, just a good old fashioned country garage giving great service.

No connection with the garage, just a very satisfied customer.

Chris. K.

Hi All,

My dealer is fantastic! Grey Gables Garage, just outside Witney Oxfordshire. My Yeti is the 4th car from them. Also have a Fabia 2. Grey Gables is a family garage with Sam (owner) and his wife living next door to the garage.

Nothing is too much trouble, just a good old fashioned country garage giving great service.

No connection with the garage, just a very satisfied customer.

Chris. K.

I agree with you Chris K, Grey Gables Skoda were extremely customer oriented as were Winner Skoda garage Cinderford no problems with the sales crew at all, however I couldn't get the deal with them that Drive the Deal offered so I went with DtD who put me in touch with a West London dealer and this is where it went a bit floppy. Talk about chalk and cheese between dealers, even the two named sales persons in this dealership were precisely that, one who couldn't do enough for you and answered all the queries made and the other absolutely abysmal, guess who I got to deal with my purchase, no response to emails or voicemail and when I did make contact it was as if this individual was doing me a favour. I wish I could give an input into this so and so's annual appraisal. I don't pick up my vehicle until next Friday so will wait until then to name and shame.