yeti mpg

wakev

Hi

a lot of us have now have a few miles on the clock so what is the best you have seen from your snow monster

wakev 1.2tsi 54.3 yesterday 3k on her now

Blimey wakev that's impressive. Can you tell us the details of this journey (what sort of roads, speeds involved etc) ?

The best that I have had from my 1.2 TSI has been 44.2mpg (according to trip computer) and the worst in the mid 30's. I have just returned from London and averaged 42mpg on the way there and 36mpg on the way back. I was deliberately driving economically on the way there but on the way back gave it a few beans so to speak. That little engine is an absolute belter and the Yeti is so utterly relaxing to drive over distance. Actually, I might write up a separate 1000 mile report now that I am about there.

As reported elsewhere my 170 TDI elegance has, on every leg averaged 50.1 mpg. This included motorway, A roads, B roads and local roads though mostly decent flat stretches. To begin with I was also guilty of "free-wheeling" where possible and safe, though in the end I didn't. Also, towards the latter half of this 1500 mile trip I was dropping a couiple of gears and gunning it past a slower car or two.

I did seem that no matter what I did, it returned just over 50 mpg. The BEST stretch was 57mpg over about 60 miles.

George

Blimey wakev that's impressive. Can you tell us the details of this journey (what sort of roads, speeds involved etc) ?

The best that I have had from my 1.2 TSI has been 44.2mpg (according to trip computer) and the worst in the mid 30's. I have just returned from London and averaged 42mpg on the way there and 36mpg on the way back. I was deliberately driving economically on the way there but on the way back gave it a few beans so to speak. That little engine is an absolute belter and the Yeti is so utterly relaxing to drive over distance. Actually, I might write up a separate 1000 mile report now that I am about there.

hi shrub it was only a 15 mile trip out light traffic mostly 40 limits and one 30 limit one hilly back road i just drove as i thought but on the hills i used the gear display and found it made me use a gear higher than i normally would so after that i used it at 30 and 40 and the mpg just kept going up and gave me that figure at the end. my other half has had 51 on a short run in traffic as well it likes around 1300 to 1600 revs in any gear to put the mpg up it needs a good run on the motorway now because its only had sort runs apart from one 200 mile round trip would liked to have gone on the yeti adventure but work calls self employed. hope yours is going well

wakev

In addition to my earlier post, I have averaged 40mpg over the first 1000 miles. I may make an effort to see how many mpg I can get from him on the next tankful but so far it has been too much fun playing with the turbo emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

hi shrub it was only a 15 mile trip out light traffic mostly 40 limits and one 30 limit one hilly back road i just drove as i thought but on the hills i used the gear display and found it made me use a gear higher than i normally would so after that i used it at 30 and 40 and the mpg just kept going up and gave me that figure at the end. my other half has had 51 on a short run in traffic as well it likes around 1300 to 1600 revs in any gear to put the mpg up it needs a good run on the motorway now because its only had sort runs apart from one 200 mile round trip would liked to have gone on the yeti adventure but work calls self employed. hope yours is going well

wakev

Hi wakev,

Yes mine is going great thanks; really pleased with it. I have noticed that the 1.2 allows you to drive at rpm that would have you changing down in other cars. Mine is also quite happy to pull from the 12/1300 rpm level and I suppose that this helps with the fuel economy.

In addition to my earlier post, I have averaged 40mpg over the first 1000 miles. I may make an effort to see how many mpg I can get from him on the next tankful but so far it has been too much fun playing with the turbo emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

thats my trouble as well i like that sound when it gives that boost. yours should show you more mpg now you have got 1k on him my mpg just kept going up around the 1k mark. still puts a smile on my face when i can get it back from the other half

wakev

Good morning Yeti folks!,

The best so far I have recorded in our Yeti was 59.3!!! :yes:

(But not verified with photo :'( )

The journey was a good downhill 3 miles from start (and there was a bit of freewheeling :giggle: ), then up and down some medium hills and then flat through a valley with just a few small inclines, mainly 50-60 mph and 2 stretches of 30 and 1 of 40 then into a slow high street where I mamnaged to quickly take the photo at a pedestrian crossing clocking 55.7... and declining rapidly!!!

I followed the change up hints and let it pootle along happily in lower revs than I would have previously thought ok I must admit!!

No testing of the Turbo on this trip :giggle:

So....Yeti Challenge...who can get over the 60mpg and record it with photo evidence B)

Managed 38 mpg on a A / b road trip across Wales from Kidderminster to Aberystwyth in our 1.8TSi. Pleased with that as no motorway and did have a little fun! :)

I'm guessing over 40 is possible on a motorway run.

Engine still very tight at 1,500 miles, 6th seems to bog it down on all but the flattest of surfaces.

My best commute so far was last Tuesday - lightish traffic on country A and B roads. Trip quoted 57.8mpg for the whole 30 mile journey. Not too bad for a hefting great 4x4 :D

44 to 50 tends to be the norm for the Pat-Monster on the run to work. This being predominately rural A roads with a long gentle assent to the top of the Wolds and a fairly steep drop back down at Garrowby Hill.

Recently took her down to the Swindon area for a couple of days, so a fair bit on the motorway, recording around the 48 mark. Worst MPG for the trip being 42 while driving from Swindon to Bovington Tank Museum; quite a few twisting lanes and associated gear changes. This route also proved interesting as it was the first time I noticed this bouncy jiggly ride some have mentioned but the road was far from flat.

Worth noting that mine obviously has the early CBDB 140 engine plus the the additional weight of a spare and the rough road pack.

Regards,

TP

Mines done 338 miles, and on the way to work, it averages 25 mpg :o, but on the way home, almost always 45 mpg!

Well going to work requires almost 3/4 of the journey climbing up quite steep hill over 3 miles and going home is the downhill and town driving!

I have done 13,000 miles so far and get 44 to 46 mpg in mixed flat land driving. This is probably an even mix of a daily 5 mile round trip, Gentle A-type roads (60 mph) and motorway with 81 mph limit. A measured Autobahn stretch of 300+ miles at an average speed of 78 mph resulted in just under 40 mpg.

If I extrapolate the velocity down to Freshacre's weekend trip to Scotland, the numbers seem to fit quite well. Windresistance increases with the square if the velocity increase. Still not bad for pushing a squarish shape through the air at speed.

Best attempt at economical driving a known 30 mile route to a nearby city and back, including a few miles in town and following traffic at the 80 km/hr limit results in 51 mpg.

Edited by Agerbundsen

After 1000 miles mine seems to be steadfastly clinging to 34 mpg although I must admit to still be playing with the sport mode and kickdown occasionally so I'm not complaining.

I'm averaging something like 14,4 Km/liter or 40,9 mpg (...assuming the gallon in UK is 4.54 liters)

which is in not bad. I'm talking about data measured between a few full refills of the tank.

Computer says better figures around 15,5 / 16.5 Km/liter (43,7/46.5 mpg) a modest error.

My yeti is a 4x4 140hp diesel, with less than 9.000 Km (5.500 miles) on the clock, and I drive it mainly on a 8 miles leg, on secondary road, but with scarce traffic.

It makes me think that in a bumper to bumper traffic jam hour diesel consumption could rise to 10/12 Km/liter (28/33 mpg)

returnig to the original question ..the best figure seen..(on the computer) it has been 18,5 km/l (52,2 mpg) light downhill, 6th gear, in favor of wind, light on the pedal.

I'll try on the highway, and al post an update!

a nice day to all of you!

I got 45.6 when the Yeti had less than 100 miles on the clock, a 20 min journey along country roads. Getting between 36-46 generally. Yeti is very keen to get me into 6th and it is difficult to keep to 30mph as it is so smooth and quiet. Put the cruise control on in a 30mph zone today but didn't know what to do with my right foot - felt very unnatural! The kph display read 50 but a speed display board thanked me for doing 29mph.

I guess I must have a dud then as the best I've managed so far is 35.5 mpg (brim to brim). The car has now covered just fewer than 3.5K miles and the fuel economy has gradually improved from the initial average of just over 30 mpg, to its current 34.2 (according to the OBC).

This is a source of some disappointment as both my old Mk I Octy vRS's (one remapped) and my old MkII 1.8 TSi were easily more economical at higher (60mph+) speeds than my 1.2 Yeti.

Judging by the fuel economy figures others are achieving I'm beginning to wonder if mine has a problem. Has any other 1.2 owner had their ECU updated (flashed)?? Mine was done at approximately 1K miles as part of a Skoda campaign.

Edited by pinkpanther

I guess I must have a dud then as the best I've managed so far is 35.5 mpg (brim to brim). The car has now covered just fewer than 3.5K miles and the fuel economy has gradually improved from the initial average of just over 30 mpg, to its current 34.2 (according to the OBC).

This is a source of some disappointment as both my old Mk I Octy vRS's (one remapped) and my old MkII 1.8 TSi were easily more economical at higher (60mph+) speeds than my 1.2 Yeti.

Judging by the fuel economy figures others are achieving I'm beginning to wonder if mine has a problem. Has any other 1.2 owner had their ECU updated (flashed)?? Mine was done at approximately 1K miles as part of a Skoda campaign.

Hi pinkpanther

i cant believe yours is only giving you 30 - 36 mpg it takes a really bad run in traffic to get as low as 38 mpg in mine and it had the ecu update at about 200 miles. i took mine out today on the A24 and gave it a good high rpm run as it has been only doing local short trips for weeks now and even with no regard to high mpg it gave me 44,5 and a lot of that was 60 -70 in 5th. maybe a trip to your dealer is needed did the ecu update go well or did they have problems i have seen a post that reported problems during the update hope you can get this sorted

wakev

43mpg average over the first 1500 miles with mix of roads and driving styles in my TDI 140

Best was 80 mile trip from Lichfield to Wirral on A road where it averaged 49mpg. :)

Drove from Somerset to Wirral tonight only averaged 43 mpg again, got chucked off the M5 due to an earlier accident so came back up the A roads doing 60 in the derestricted parts.

Hoping mpg gets better as she beds in. :yes:

Good morning Yeti folks!,

The best so far I have recorded in our Yeti was 59.3!!! :yes:

(But not verified with photo :'( )

The journey was a good downhill 3 miles from start (and there was a bit of freewheeling :giggle: ), then up and down some medium hills and then flat through a valley with just a few small inclines, mainly 50-60 mph and 2 stretches of 30 and 1 of 40 then into a slow high street where I mamnaged to quickly take the photo at a pedestrian crossing clocking 55.7... and declining rapidly!!!

I followed the change up hints and let it pootle along happily in lower revs than I would have previously thought ok I must admit!!

No testing of the Turbo on this trip :giggle:

So....Yeti Challenge...who can get over the 60mpg and record it with photo evidence B)

best so far on mine is 48.5 for a mixed country road and motorway journey of about 70 miles. Trip computer is showing an average of 43.1 mpg for all miles since I collected my Yeti.

Lady P's story reminds me of a trip in Austria a few years ago when we had a Fabia Elegance Estate TDI. I had filled up for a trip to Innsbruck which was about 40 miles away but the garage was at the top of a long downwards incline of about 6 miles. After about 4 miles of 50 mph on virtually no throttle the average MPG read out went off the "clock" and stuck at 99.9.

On return, my wife had to go to the dealer to collect something and explained to them that we'd had the average MPG read out stuck at 99.9. They thought it was a fault and would not believe that the car had actually achievd that.

A regular summer and winter visitor to the Austrian Tirol, I've never managed this again but plan to test the Yeti on the same road this summer.

John

Managed 38 mpg on a A / b road trip across Wales from Kidderminster to Aberystwyth in our 1.8TSi. Pleased with that as no motorway and did have a little fun! :)

I'm guessing over 40 is possible on a motorway run.

Engine still very tight at 1,500 miles, 6th seems to bog it down on all but the flattest of surfaces.

Another 1.8TSi owner here... now have just 450 miles on the clock and yesterday gave it its first longer run; MIlton Keynes and back so around 110 miles for me but sticking mainly to the speed limits on the M25 and M1 and managed a rather impressive 41.8mpg!! :thumbup:

These 1.8TSi's do feel extra 'tight' from the factory imo though so Im looking forward to it lossening up properly over the coming '000 miles. :)

Hello

I wonder if something like the "Poll" available for topics like

- Yeti colour, Engine and trim survey - could also be extendend to the mpg issue.

Possibly sorting the graph bars,

by engines power, traction type, (...but also motorway use)

and within the graph, average mileage per gallon, in step of 2 or 5 or whatever) mpg.

Everyone could "vote" for the mpg reached driving the Yetis,

providing useful information, and building an interesting database that even if not 'scientific' in the true sense and effected by a lot of different variables, could be a sort of benchmark for fuel consumption

Would it be possible? would anyone be interested in it?

Thank you

and Good Evening

Hello

I wonder if something like the "Poll" available for topics like

- Yeti colour, Engine and trim survey - could also be extendend to the mpg issue.

Possibly sorting the graph bars,

by engines power, traction type, (...but also motorway use)

and within the graph, average mileage per gallon, in step of 2 or 5 or whatever) mpg.

Everyone could "vote" for the mpg reached driving the Yetis,

providing useful information, and building an interesting database that even if not 'scientific' in the true sense and effected by a lot of different variables, could be a sort of benchmark for fuel consumption

Would it be possible? would anyone be interested in it?

Thank you

and Good Evening

Great idea- I volunteer 1st time Skoda Owner!!! ;)

He did a great poll with ages :thumbup: and made a super dooper graph :yes:

What do you think 1sty?

Best intentions :sun:

Lady Penelope :angel:

Only done 500 miles so far in my 2.0 Tdi 110 2wd, but average is 47 and best 51 on run out to Bedgellert on bank holiday Monday. Sure this will improve with time.