Facelift Octavia Vrs Wind Noise At Speed

Good news after reading a temp fix by putting tape over the seal on the door. I have done this on the drivers and passenger door and has fixed the problem. If you look at the seal it is only clipped in. so at speed with wind it is cause air to get in. I noticed it coming from both sides depending on wind direction. It causes the wind to make the wierd howling noise through the whole dash. So thanks for the picture. I used black insulation tape for a temp fix, but I doubt just replacing the seals at the skoda gargae will fix the issue, there should really be a recall. Im going to contact skoda to tell them i have fixed the problem and see what they will do.

Paul

Hi,

My car is still whistling, skoda uk have officially washed their hands of it, told me its a characteristic of the car. My dealer won't touch it because they can't get warranty for it due to skoda uk position!! And guess what I am stuck in the middle!! I hope you have better luck getting it fixed, cause if the magic laptop doesn't prescribe a fix at the dealership they are clueless, and don't seem to do the old fashioned basics anymore of fault finding. Like you they have used my petrol and clocked up miles, but I get nothing back, not even a tank of petrol or a sorry!! My car was brand new in january this year and has been whistling since I got it.

I've owned 3 vrs models all from new, and that counts for nothing when trying to get an issue resolved.

Would I buy another vrs not sure!!

Regards

Mark

Take it to another dealer, yours is obviously a waste of time...

BAD NEWS

The temporary tape fix didn't work. I thought it had, until I went on the M62. With the bad cross winds it was howling from both sides! It's a shame cause I could have lived with a bit of tape on the door seals! The only thing I can do is silicone all the gaps in the seal... When I had the noise I lowered my window and it stopped, so I'm now thinking it could be the seals from the window to the door!

Paul

• 8 months later...

I have a 2010 VRS combi and this exact wind noise issue is occuring. Depending on how windy it is the howl starts to happens between 115 and 140 km/h. Thanks to everyones useful posts here I was able to track it down to the door seals on passenger door. The masking tape on the seal stops the noise so now just need to get a more permanant fix by the dealers.

Seems first fix it to adjust the door striker and if that does not work then change the seals. Just wondering about the sucess rate of the adjustment and any side effects to look out for.

I had same problem and took it to dealer in April who "fixed it" using a technical note issued by Skoda, some sort of adjustment. All was well until last week when on the motorway about 65mph with quite a wind blowing the howling came back. Again if you press the pillar door seal just above the level of the mirror you can stop it. It is like the reed in a wind instrument as the air blows past it.

Rang dealer and went in this morning and they have changed a door seal so will have to see how it goes the next time I drive on the motorway. It seems that air gets under the door seal and forces itself past the inner seal creating a vibration which can be heard inside.

• 10 months later...

There has been a few mentions of this "technical note" but it appears there is nothing on the system at my dealers.

Does anyone have a ref number or similar ?

• 2 weeks later...

There has been a few mentions of this "technical note" but it appears there is nothing on the system at my dealers.

Does anyone have a ref number or similar ?

Mine is booked in on Tuesday for this fix, I saw a technical note on the dealers computer today. If you still need this I can ask for the number on tues?

If you could please bf1.

Mine seems to come and go :wonder:

Sorry mate forgot to ask, Carl was dealing with my car at Farmers Skoda in Leicester so if you call him and ask I'm sure he'll give you info. They adjusted door hinges and put a much bigger seal behind door hinges, between inner and outer wings. Seems to have done the trick which is great.

• 2 months later...

Exactly the same noise buddy!! I was adament that my noise was coming from the drivers side, but it ended up being the passenger side door seal! Very quick fix and solved the problem 100%

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Im also getting this exact problem at the moment. Got it going in for replacement door seals plus they are doing some work checkimg the insulation inside the door mirrors. This shouldnt really be happening with it being quite common, you would think it might be a recall :-(

Im also getting this exact problem at the moment. Got it going in for replacement door seals plus they are doing some work checkimg the insulation inside the door mirrors. This shouldnt really be happening with it being quite common, you would think it might be a recall :-(

I had the same problem with my 2010 Octavia Vrs. Speeds of 60-mph. Bough it to my local Skoda dealer and they found the door needed to be adjusted slightly. They done it for free and the garage said the doors tend to drop from time to time from the hinge. 

Amazing Difference. Now to reduce the road noise while driving  :envy:

Guys - is this:

The noise you're getting?

Cheers ( mines in with the dealer for a door seal fix)

Ian

Resurrection an old post but my Octy 2 VRS FL Estate has started doing this and I thought I had a major problem when it first happened - sounds exactly the same as this but I thought it was coming from the front of the car somewhere. Makes sense to be door seals as it only happens in strong cross-winds.

I'll have a look at the seals tomorrow.

Thanks for the video/sound clip :-) It'll help if I need to go to a dealer.

Phil

• Like 1

• 2 years later...