whats the best xenon headlight kits to get for octavia vrs mk1 02?

Phil is right. There are legal issues surrounding fitting these HID Kits into normal headlights. It's been mentioned in this site many times.

The best bet is to replace your bulbs with blue tinted ones (e.g. Blue Visions) for xenon look or try higher performance bulbs (Osram NightBreakers or Philips X-Treams).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You could do, but be prepared to re-mortgage your house for the privilege lol

I am wantin to do this. What is needed. Can it be done by using parts off a car that has them? Or is it more in depth ie wireing looms n stuff?

Billy

You don't need the automatic height adjusters, to be legal they just have to be height adjustable so you can wire them up to the normal headlight adjuster control.

You would need the Xenon headlight housings, bulbs, the HID ballasts and the spray jets and housings for the washers which would need to be fitted to your VRS bumper (cut a couple of holes). Might also need the 5l washer fluid bottle instead of the 3l one as the washer fluid will be used up quicker (I think you plumb the hose off of the pump for the front washers so everytime you use the front washers it also sprays the Xenons).

Billy have a word with Ian (NinjaVRS) who used to be on the Octy I forum as he fitted the genuine Skoda ones to his VRS, they weren't cheap but I don't think they were hoooogely expensive

Edited by chicken_eyebrow

You don't need the automatic height adjusters, to be legal they just have to be height adjustable so you can wire them up to the normal headlight adjuster control.

You would need the Xenon headlight housings, bulbs, the HID ballasts and the spray jets and housings for the washers which would need to be fitted to your VRS bumper (cut a couple of holes). Might also need the 5l washer fluid bottle instead of the 3l one as the washer fluid will be used up quicker (I think you plumb the hose off of the pump for the front washers so everytime you use the front washers it also sprays the Xenons).

Billy have a word with Ian (NinjaVRS) who used to be on the Octy I forum as he fitted the genuine Skoda ones to his VRS, they weren't cheap but I don't think they were hoooogely expensive

thanks for the info mate,

• 4 months later...

Hi, I believe the real answer your after is any hid (high intensity discharge) kit off ebay. should be able to pick some up for under £50 or theres some on there that claim to be phillips for £140 they may be worth a try. 4200k is white and 6000k has the slightest blue tinge so either of them look the most oem. They will dazzle oncoming drivers and they are illegal. I have them in my car and I am very happy with the result. The choise is yours as alot of people will hate you for having them without projectors but if you do get projector lamps they will not dazzle people providing you keep the lens clean. I get stopped by police constantly being 19 and they have mentioned my lights and asked where they can get them. never have I been stopped as a result of having the lights. Recently I have tinted the lens of my car (for looks) and this dimms them down alot so if you do get hid's I advise tinting the lens. and hid is the same as xenon and works the same way as xenon. Good luck

• 4 months later...

My Mk1 Octavia Vrs has had the full upgrade of hid lights including the fog lights, there the 8000k and have a nice shade of blue to them. I have had no problems at all with other road users or police. Ever since I first installed Hids to a car a few year back I wont have a car with normal lights no more

They will dazzle oncoming drivers and they are illegal. I have them in my car and I am very happy with the result.

You are pleased that you dazzle oncoming drivers?! :rofl:

My Mk1 Octavia Vrs has had the full upgrade of hid lights including the fog lights, there the 8000k and have a nice shade of blue to them. I have had no problems at all with other road users or police. Ever since I first installed Hids to a car a few year back I wont have a car with normal lights no more

I've seen a black vRS with HIDs fitted around here and there is a lot of glare caused by scattered light coming from it. That's not yours is it?

HID is the same as xenon and works the same way as xenon.

Totally incorrect. Xenon bulbs have use Xenon gas in a standard filament bulb to increase the temperature the filament can withstand, this improves light output in the same way that most upgraded +50% etc bulbs work - by changing the filament material/coatings and by changing the gases used in the bulb itself. HID on the other hand isn't an incandescent bulb but instead these High Intensity Discharge bulbs use two electrodes to arc the pressurised gas in the arc tube. The gas begins to vaporise as as result of this, giving off metallic vapor and producing an intense light. The problem with these bulbs is that they don't use reflectors in the same way within the bulb as normal incandescents and instead rely wholly on the reflectors in the headlamp units to direct the light. This, on many cars but not all, causes major problems with blinding other users. If you have seperate dip/main beam bulbs then I think it's less of an issue as you can just run the HID kits in the main beam but on cars with a single H4 bulb like the Octavia it's a far from ideal scenario as it will blind others when in dipped.

I've seen a black vRS with HIDs fitted around here and there is a lot of glare caused by scattered light coming from it. That's not yours is it?

Nope I own a red one

They will do, an extract from the proposed new MOT testing manual:

High Intensity Discharge (HID) and LED dipped beam headlamps (whether original fitment or after-market) must be fitted with a headlamp washing system (a wiper is not required) and be self levelling. This may be achieved by the use of either headlamp or suspension levelling systems. However, some high performance vehicles fitted with HID headlamps that have limited luggage space and stiff suspension do not require a self-levelling system.

Where headlamp levelling or cleaning devices are missing or defective, but there is doubt as to whether they are required, the benefit of the doubt should be given and an advisory notice issued.

HID lamps may be identified by:

taking a few seconds to reach full intensity

having a bluish tinge to the light

having an igniter module/inverter behind the headlamp

having ‘DCR’ marked on the headlamp lens.

HID headlamps use high voltage and extra care should be taken when inspecting these items.

I have HID GT xenons 4300k.

http://www.gthid.com/

For 18 months they work perfect

I know,they are illegal,disturbing for other drivers,but I have aimed them very low and I love them.The light is powerful pure white

Edited by IulianE

When will people stop harping on about the law of HID kits.

THEY ARE LEGAL TO HAVE ON YOUR CAR

Even IF and that's IF the new MOT regulation comes in they can only issue and advisory notice and it WILL NOT fail an MOT test.

Yes you can be stopped by the police for dazzling other road users but that part of the Road traffic act stands for Hid's, xenons, standard bulbs, bike lights and any other light source.

As long as you car has an MOT test where they are checked and level etc they are LEGAL

It's not that they're illegal - Of course you can pass an MOT with them, as the MOT only checks for alignment. It doesn't check for light output, glare or scatter.

So, you could pass your MOT one day and be stopped by the police the next day for having glaring lights, which is something they would book you for, even though you have passed an MOT. They could even get really clever and prove that the headlamps have not been type approved for HID lamps, and therefore you are commiting another offence.

Fair enough, you can get stopped for any light being dazzling, but wiht the extra brightness of HID, you can't do much to stop them dazzling other road users, EVEN if they are properly aligned. It's all about the excess light which is scattered.

So what are the projector lenses for on the non xenon headlamps? Are they main beam? Ive got HIDs on my old bmw, and think theyre great, but that has projectors and the beam pattern is much better. I was hoping to put them on the skoda, but dont want to dazzle other drivers so will probably give that one a miss.

The whole idea behind the projectors is that no light can escape from around it. That, and they give a much sharper beam cutoff.

They are used quite a lot for foglights (They are on the vRS), or sometimes as main beam, even with halogen bulbs (Vectra C for example).

• 3 years later...