Automatic boot - Completed

Still not got my Yellow extra heavy duty 44 springs yet as they had to order them in. Wish I had not ordered the reds as well now seeing they dont work at all. Anyone with an estate want to buy them off me as they will be new and unused.

hi guys, im looking to do this mod but unfortunately as i live in northern ireland it costs a ridiculous amount to post a pair of springs lol £17!!!

anyway i phioned my local spring manufacturer and qouted R15X51 (red heavy duty spring) as i believe these are the correct ones for the mod but this meant nothing to them lol

so i need to find out the length, inside and outside diameter for them to make it :)

could anyone help me on this matter please :) its for an estate btw :)

and why are some people talking about the yellow and gold springs do the red ones not work anymore? :(

thanks, :D

wilsy7, ping one of the hatch guys who're offering springs, they'll be able to ship them to ya in a big envelope for something much more reasonable than £17, i'd have reckoned you'd be able to get them for around the tenner mark that way, maybe even cheaper :thumbup:

That way you know you're gettting the proper springs :thumbup:

p.s. i'm on blues and they are the dogs cahoonas, never fails to impress, shopping, luggage (not long back from the airport) etc. etc. :thumbup:

Ok guys my Blues are starting to give up on my FL Estate, the tailgate goes halfway now, it seems they have lost their spring after about 3 weeks. I do have some red ones which I was about to sell (!). Will try those.

Yellows are a no go on the hatch people it just pops up and stops.

Not so good!

I'm going to try the shorter and wider Gold (yellow) ones - 20x38.

Part of me says these are just too short to give the boot the required lift, but on the other hand they might just work.

The wider springs have a lot more ooomph, plus with them being shorter...if they did work, they should last a bit longer because they won't be full compressed.

I'll let you know how it goes - probably middle of next week or next weekend before I can try them.

If these fail then I'll be looking at the uprated gas struts again, possibly with an added spring to give it a bit of lift-off.

Not so good!

I'm going to try the shorter and wider Gold (yellow) ones - 20x38.

Part of me says these are just too short to give the boot the required lift, but on the other hand they might just work.

The wider springs have a lot more ooomph, plus with them being shorter...if they did work, they should last a bit longer because they won't be full compressed.

I'll let you know how it goes - probably middle of next week or next weekend before I can try them.

If these fail then I'll be looking at the uprated gas struts again, possibly with an added spring to give it a bit of lift-off.

I very much doubt the yellows will work as my yellows are a mile off having enough power to push the boot up to the point the gas struts take over. Plus the cars only 2months old so gas struts will still be very good.

• 3 weeks later...

Nope.

The 20x38 (Gold) springs I tried were no good. They needed a few washers in order to compress them enough, but were so tough that the boot was quite tricky to close. When shut, it looked like the whole boot lid was being pushed out towards the rear of the car leaving odd gaps all around it, similar to the result of a dodgy accident repair. The springs were tougher than the red ones I tried before, but still didn't have anough ooomph to lift the boot.

I think the only decent auto-boot solution for hatchback owners will be the custom gas struts we talked about earlier in the thread....possibly teamed up with a very light spring just to give it a little initial lift.

I'm out of 'spare' cash for the moment but will probably come back to this project later if nobody else has found a answer.

Nope.

The 20x38 (Gold) springs I tried were no good. They needed a few washers in order to compress them enough, but were so tough that the boot was quite tricky to close. When shut, it looked like the whole boot lid was being pushed out towards the rear of the car leaving odd gaps all around it, similar to the result of a dodgy accident repair. The springs were tougher than the red ones I tried before, but still didn't have anough ooomph to lift the boot.

I think the only decent auto-boot solution for hatchback owners will be the custom gas struts we talked about earlier in the thread....possibly teamed up with a very light spring just to give it a little initial lift.

I'm out of 'spare' cash for the moment but will probably come back to this project later if nobody else has found a answer.

After having mine done for a few months now (on an estate) using the red springs I would say I have a successful opening 80% of the time, but that depends if I park on an incline which reduces that success rate.

So, not bad for a 10 quid mod, but I think I will be going back to standard before long as I opened the boot the other day, and unfortunately my 6 year old was a bit close and got proper chinned! He was ok (as I discovered once I stopped ****ing myself laughing) when I checked him out.................. :doh:

I opened my hatchback boot then allowed it to lift fully. Mistake. Clunked into a beam of the low roof of the underground car park. Chipped paint slightly.

So be careful!

• 2 months later...

My reds pop the boot about a foot up but not enough to fully open it, been like this since about week 4! :S Think I will right it off as a failed experiment!

You know how the Skoda OEM spoiler for the Octy estate fits the pre-FL perfectly, but needs work to fit the FL because there's less gap between the top edge of the boot door and the rear of the body shell?

I wonder if they moved the hinge mounting points slightly forward, meaning the FL gets away with less ooomf to pop it.

You know how the Skoda OEM spoiler for the Octy estate fits the pre-FL perfectly, but needs work to fit the FL because there's less gap between the top edge of the boot door and the rear of the body shell?

I wonder if they moved the hinge mounting points slightly forward, meaning the FL gets away with less ooomf to pop it.

Interesting theory. :mmm:

• 2 weeks later...

The FL vRS hatch fails after the first 30 minutes and especially if its cold.

You can get uprated Gas Struts but then they might not be that easy to close.

Perhaps slightly uprated struts with springs would be the answer.