1990 'Skoda Favorit' full page newspaper advert..

Leeland

Unpackaging some old bits of glass at work (newspapers used to seperate panes) always find

old papers interesting and was reading through and saw this, thought I'd share.

It is the Daily Express - Saturday 2nd June 1990.

2010_06110003.jpg

2010_06110005.jpg

2010_06110004.jpg

2010_06110006.jpg

If anyone wants this ad, has a small tear in it, PM me and I'll gladly send it to you. :)

Good find, thanks for posting. It's a shame that once their selling point was being £2k less than other cars on the market with more features, and now brands such as Hyundai are £2k less with more features than the base model Skoda. Guess that's being part of VW and times changing though. Spotted one of these MK1 Favorits about 2 years ago, I suspect most have disappeared now.

Edited by anewman

I did the Tax checker once, and my parents old Favorit - a 1995 one to be exact, is still out there alive and kicking!

Somewhere... :D

• 4 weeks later...

My parents old Favorit (G407 WTN - May 1st 1990) in moonstone was still kicking around in 1996 according to the DVLA

My fist Favorit (K793 OBB) was off the road after barely 7 years. Wonder what actually happened to it. Was in good nick when I traded it at just undr 3 years old.

But as I said long ago If VW hadn't taken Skoda over they still would be producing good original cars

• 3 weeks later...

There are plenty Favorits (good and bad examples) still on the roads of the Czech republic , however Felicias and Fabias outnumber them now , and the rear engined cars are just about as rare there as they are in the UK!

and the rear engined cars are just about as rare there as they are in the UK!

:) Are they? Everywhere I go, home or work I'm surrounded by them! :D

The Favorit is a very important car in Skoda's history, it marked the start of a fresh range of cars to replace the rear engined cars, it was the last car designed by Skoda before the VW takeover and the first car that VW put some input into [Favorit Mk2]. The Favorit is an extremely under rated car IMO.

My mum had 2 favorits, first being a maroon colour and second one was a navy blue, i can remember being embarassed by them as a teenager lol 10 years later, here i am buying a skoda! Her last one in a navy blue colour was still driving around my local village up until 2 years ago! Was a really reliable little car!

• 2 months later...

My parents had two Favorits: -

J460 TDW (I think it isn't on the road any more) Favorit Forum (IIRC)

And

M47LBO Green Favorit Flairline LXIe+ - and this really is still on the road.

Bought them both brand new, no problems with either though I think the Head Gaskted went on the first one which prompted the purchase of the second one :)

• 4 weeks later...

My favorit is running splendidly. A little rust here and there on the body, an annoying swimming pool in the passenger side footwell and about to receive a new clutch but I'm anticipating she'll keep going for some time yet. During the winter nothing apart from 4 x 4's was superior to it in the 3 months of snow we had in these parts.

• 3 weeks later...

I had an estate for 6 weeks about 3 years back, got it from the auction for 70 quid to potter around in while I built my AX VTS. Never put a foot wrong in 2k miles, so I MOT'ed it and sold it to my mate who's been using it as a parts delivery van at his garage, still going strong! Only needed a NSF wheel bearing in all that time!

Wasn't keen on it to drive but for 70 quid you don't complain :p

• 1 month later...

I had a Favorit 136L, I think the registration was G856SSL, beige coloured. I kept that car quite a few years, yes they certainly are good in the snow, I remember her cutting through the snow on the hill roads on the way across to my old work. I really liked the styling, it was the assymetric grille that did it for me. I remember when they were launched and Top Gear did a review of the car, distinct memory of the presenter screaming round a corner of a racing circuit and managing to lift it's rear-inside wheel :-)

Edited by Zlin

I had a Favorit 136L, I think the registration was G856SSL, beige coloured. I kept that car quite a few years, yes they certainly are good in the snow, I remember her cutting through the snow on the hill roads on the way across to my old work. I really liked the styling, it was the assymetric grille that did it for me. I remember when they were launched and Top Gear did a review of the car, distinct memory of the presenter screaming round a corner of a racing circuit and managing to lift it's rear-inside wheel :-)

The beardie one called Chris Goffey really caned anything he got his hands on, and he did like the little Favorit.

Edited by FellyMagic

Wasn't keen on it to drive but for 70 quid you don't complain :p

My only criticisms compared with other cars I have driven are the brake pedal feel and the body roll in corners, otherwise I thought it was great :)