Coilover Problems!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just looking back to find out when you said you where going to get this done LOL

After raising mine the sound got worse too (the short amount of time i could drive it)

now driving a :swear: Smart car (1L N/A 71Bhp) all becasue they cant answer a phone. :swear:

Oh god Just realised im at %50 the power im used to in that thing :'(

Edited by vRSsunroof

ha ha :)

They should replace the shock mate, had no problems getting hold of them, neither have GWerks...

Me And DPM have had no end of trouble. dod you know there are only 2 PPL that work in that office? (in Ashford 10min down the road from where i work)

And to add insult 1 of them is on holiday till the 26th

not been reading this thread everyday, is it just your rear shock thats knackered?

Ever tried to get a shock replaced under warranty?

And i know when people are stressed i find it funny, so thought i would amuse you all with my pain :thumbup:

I've got Weitec's on my Mk4 Ibiza, now I have replaced my wishbone bushes and gearbox mount bush, I have no knocking, banging or any noises like that! On a car over 3 years old I always say its best to replace the top mounts and bearings while your doing the suspension as they are fairly cheap for most cars!

APs, Weitecs, KWs, etc don't need helpers as the springs are multi-stiffness (don't know what the technical term is!), so there are some coils of the spring which will touch when there is weight on it, but expand lots when its jacked up, hence no need for helpers

I've got Weitec's on my Mk4 Ibiza, now I have replaced my wishbone bushes and gearbox mount bush, I have no knocking, banging or any noises like that! On a car over 3 years old I always say its best to replace the top mounts and bearings while your doing the suspension as they are fairly cheap for most cars!

APs, Weitecs, KWs, etc don't need helpers as the springs are multi-stiffness (don't know what the technical term is!), so there are some coils of the spring which will touch when there is weight on it, but expand lots when its jacked up, hence no need for helpers

Your IPizza, is it a petrol or a Diesel?

FYI - if a rear shock goes and its out of warranty, just buy a new kit.............

Edited by vRSsunroof

Funnily enough, when I replaced my wishbone bushes with the solid Cupra bushes the knocking noise of the wishbone hitting the console stopped too :thumbup:

Now about this problem we all been having with our coilovers even tho we have replaced the top mounts and top mount bearings...

Not that I can drive atm with a broken big toe :no:

A progressive spring means you dont need a helper spring? Do you represent a large German suspension manufacturer?

Ive read a few bits in this topic about ibiza top mounts?

I got my weitecs off a friend who owned a pd160 ibiza, they were only 2000 miles old and they were all fully built ready to pop straight on, Ibiza top mounts not fabia top mounts.

The backs are on the lowest setting and the fronts are about halfway, looks great ride is awesome and no knocking, also being weitec he was advised by dpm that shortened droplinks would not be needed.

The only problem came with fitting but i came up with a handy solution, use the skoda issue jack and place between hub and bottom of the strut and begin winding, strut pops out carrier so easily...

Funnily enough, when I replaced my wishbone bushes with the solid Cupra bushes the knocking noise of the wishbone hitting the console stopped too :thumbup:

Now about this problem we all been having with our coilovers even tho we have replaced the top mounts and top mount bearings...

Not that I can drive atm with a broken big toe :no:

A progressive spring means you dont need a helper spring? Do you represent a large German suspension manufacturer?

If they needed helper springs why are they still located when I jack the car up and have the wishbone off (so longest the strut can go while attached to the hub).

This may sound stupid, but often the simple things are over looked, but has everyones coilovers been installed correctly? In the order this pic shows? topmount, bearing, spring, strut?

sus.png

I dont think its even possible to assemble it any other way?

As for the helper spring bit, I kind of agree with you, my car would not seem to need one as the spring doesn't come away from its mounts - top or bottom.

But this has nothing to do with the type of spring fitted.

Lummox (from on here) fitted helper springs on his and he said it cured his problem, that's why people are fighting that argument, I'll be very interested to know whats needed to sort the problem.

Edited by VeeKar

• 2 weeks later...