My Octy vs Focus ST

i have a long long list of cars im going through. Im not really in a huge rush. I can use the wifes car when ever i want, so im olding out till im 100% on what i want.

im tempted to get a mini cooper S JCW. had a cooper S clubman couple years back and loved it. so the extra oomph f the JCW pack should make it way better

Ok mate no problem, well let me know if you change your mind, as i'm not rushing to sell at the min, got 16 weeks till my vrs turns up!

The min cooper s JCW is very nice but personally i didnt like the steering not as much feel, admittedly i may be a little biased.

Depending what you want track day wise, i.e.fun or speed may i suggest you also look at a clio 182 or trophy....... they really are great fun.... and pretty rapid too. Also bare in mind you could pick up a Elise for reasonable money these days and trust me they are somet else..... but not a everyday car

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could always play this game of top trumps with the ST guy.

My Insurance is cheaper than yours emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

My mpg is better than yours emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

I get thorough less tyres than you emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

ooh lets add all that up, youre paying out well more than me for your car, who actually got the better deal. emoticon-0110-tongueout.gifemoticon-0104-surprised.gif

Depending what you want track day wise, i.e.fun or speed may i suggest you also look at a clio 182 or trophy....... they really are great fun.... and pretty rapid too. Also bare in mind you could pick up a Elise for reasonable money these days and trust me they are somet else..... but not a everyday car

id choose the new clio 197 over the 172/182 tbh. a big factor for me is the tuning scene as well. the clio's are N/A so not suspeptable to engine mods, whereas something with a turbo will see much larger gains.

i had a look on autotrader at elises actually, but then thought why get an elise when you can get a more powerful VX220 turbo for the same money.

Having owned one I have to say the focus would edge the vrs on a challenging road, it handles better and has more grunt, stage one or not.

However if it was an endurance race, he'd have to stop for fuel first!

As for front heavy the focus is 62/48 and the skoda is 60/40 so hardly any different

62/48? ...Desliksik wine fingres? :giggle:

Edited by NikNak

I' ve owned a ST for a couple of years, tbh I'm surprised people think the ST handles better, tho it depends how you define 'better'. I'd say the vRS feels more agile than the ST IMO.

As for the OP I think a remapped vRS would be about on par, maybe VERY slightly quicker than the ST. However if i ever owned another ST it wouldn't last a day without being mapped (dreamscience) - it completely transforms it!

I' ve owned a ST for a couple of years, tbh I'm surprised people think the ST handles better, tho it depends how you define 'better'. I'd say the vRS feels more agile than the ST IMO.

As for the OP I think a remapped vRS would be about on par, maybe VERY slightly quicker than the ST. However if i ever owned another ST it wouldn't last a day without being mapped (dreamscience) - it completely transforms it!

I'd define better, as more grip, less understeer and more traction. Better steering and crisper turn in, can controll lift off oversteer very easily too, and you can left foot brake without the stupid ECU stopping you! I owned one also, with a GGR remap.

If you're surprised i'd suggest you read some industry reviews of the focus, ever since the mk1 focus was launched it has been universally recognised by practically every car magazine/roadtester as the class leader in handling, even the shopping models, so its hardly a surprise that an everyday driver agrees with the pro's

Mine was a stock 1.7 (lowered on Chassis Dynamics springs and with Ferodo DS3000 pads for track use ;) ) and to this day I feel a need to scratch my FRP itch :D

Edited by Steve vRS

the ST is more fun without doubt, and the noise and torque of the 2.5T is insane. The biggest issue of the ST i found was the 19mpg i averaged. in comparison the vRS driven the same managed about 28mpg when running stage 2+with the uprated HPFP.

alos on track for instance my vRS never managed to dip into single figures even when fully stage 2+. my ST which was std and ALOT slower would break into the single figures, so god knows how bad they are mapped. 6 months of ownership and i loved the car, but it had a huge flaw in that fuel economy. And it broke about 8 times :giggle: hence the change in car.

what i will say is it had way more character than the vRS

But all with Wrong Wheel Drive ;)

If you are so inclined, STi's can do silly power, just like VAG TSi engines.

Steve

my subaru wrx will be pushing 500bhp and i have limited that power to keep the car usable on the road, the engine i have had built would take 600 all day long.

The key with Subaru’s is that the power is useable on any type of road, a ST with 350 + is going to drive like a dog on bumpy country roads.

I know, and I love my VRS more than my old ST, but i'm grown up enough not to wear the blinkers

Nowt to do with blinkers, personally I enjoy the handling of the Octy over the Focus tho. Don't get me wrong, I loved my ST, it's a fantastic allrounder but I'd consider it more of a 'GT' than an out and out hot hatch (not that I would consider the vRS a hot hatch either)

I found with the Focus, the engine dominated the experience - both in a good way, with the noise/power/torque, but in a not so good way with what seemed like a bit of a noise heavy trait when you were pushing on. On the road in day to day driving this wasnt really an issue but on the track it resulted in a lot of roll and understeer (on standard suspension at least). Incidentally I think most publications would rate the Golf mk5 GTi to be a more fun/better handler than the ST tho the Octavia rarely features in the grouptests. I've also had a lot of experience of the GTI too and find the experience with the vRS to be pretty similar; i.e. a sharper turn in (IMO), and an eagerness to change direction with precision that feels more muted in the ST (IMO). Yes - you notice the extra bulk of the vRS over the GTi, but overall they're very similar in their handling traits.

Hurdy...is your car silver?

I think I may have seen you on the GolfMkV forums.

How are you finding things with the NOS?

hurdys nitrous progress

Sy...on a track day I have managed 8mpg from my Stage 3 vRS lol

you have a bigger turbo and another 40hp so i think you werent trying hard enough :giggle: , ,

ive had 4mpg on a top speed run on the autobahn, and you can see the needle moving lol. thankgod for tax free fuel

Edited by vRSy