Amazed at Fuel Economy - (actual figures)

Just returned from a camping trip from down south to the far NW of Scotland and back again, covering over 1700 miles. Car was fully loaded with all our camping gear, roof bars with roof box fitted, two adults and two kids. Car packed to the gunwales. 2.0 TDi Elegance - Aircon on Auto.

Actual fuel consumption figures:

Motorway part of journey at a steady 70mph - 50mpg!

Scenic tour of Scottish Highlands (single track roads, up hills and down glens, also 'making good time' and 'pressing on' at times) - 45mpg!

I was amazed that there was not more of a difference between the two figures considerin the more varied terrain and driving conditions. But I was more amazed at how frugal the car was. Very happy bunny!

Pretty easy to attain much more than 50mpg with a 2.0TDi Octavia, not sure how much of a difference having a roof box will make but I suspect a fair bit, the same journey without roofbox should get you 58-62mpg I would have thought.

Pretty easy to attain much more than 50mpg with a 2.0TDi Octavia, not sure how much of a difference having a roof box will make but I suspect a fair bit, the same journey without roofbox should get you 58-62mpg I would have thought.

Yeah, usually I get quite a bit more. However, usually I'm not hauling half a ton of canvas, aluminium and plastic the length and breadth of the country. It's quite extraordinary the total weight that all these 'lightweight' camping items add up to! I usually cruise with the RPM at a smidge over 2k and in 6th gear. Seems the way to go.

Edit: meant to say I've had an indiacted 66mpg on a trip to B'ham and back. However the display reads about 5mpg over so this would be an actual 61mpg (no roof box, light load but still with 2x adults and 2x kids)

Edited by Golf-Fiend

I drove to Samoens area in the French Alps the other week, averaged 49mpg including extended 80mph intervals on the autoroutes. I wasn't hanging about!

The CR vRS was excellent, aircon on auto in 36C temperatures!

I wish!

I can't get anywhere near those figures in my 2.0tdi dsg L&K.my 09(15.000 miles).Best I've attained recently was a fairly fast M40 run of about 80-85mph for 70 miles which showed 46-47 mpg.Pretty grim in London traffic however;usually approx 27-35.

Love the Octy though! ;)

ATB.D.

I wish!

I can't get anywhere near those figures in my 2.0tdi dsg L&K.my 09(15.000 miles).Best I've attained recently was a fairly fast M40 run of about 80-85mph for 70 miles which showed 46-47 mpg.Pretty grim in London traffic however;usually approx 27-35.

Love the Octy though! ;)

ATB.D.

must be something about 2.0 tdi dsg L&K Octys, mine is on 8500 miles at moment and it is rare for me to get anywhere over 40-45 mpg on the maxidot, I fill the tank to the brim every time and i'm now going to get my first 500 mile tank out of it, but only just, hopefully will improve a lot as I put more miles on it and give it a few hard runs to loosen it up a bit more, othewise I just might have to break my run of nearly 20 years of running diesel cars and go for a 1.8 tsi next time.

Ian

I get 47 mpg as per my sig in my 2.0PD TDi 140 DSG L&K with 67k on the clock (MY 2008 Car) which is actual consumption and I have accursed the trip computer accordingly now.

I usually get around 600miles to the tank using V-Power diseasel. Not tried normal stuff but might try the new shell fuelsave diesel and see how I get on.

Hoping to get mid 50's once mapped ;)

I wish!

Love the Octy though! ;)

ATB.D.

same here..... only averaging 44mg in my vrs pd, mainly town driving, a roads+dual carriageways, is this about right ? only had the car 8 weeks

Just bought a 130 hp diesel L&K estate, 90K miles on it, It will do over 70 mpg when driving through the 50 mph restrictions (at around 54 mph of course), filled up tank and it showed 745 miles of the range estimator. Note quite the 960 miles I had on the A4 but that had a bigger tank. Had the TSI VRS up to 570 miles which I though was pretty good too.

Hope my 1.8TSI work car is going to be capable of 500-600 miles, signs are good from others posts.

Kr

lol

Edited by lol

My 2 week old 2.0 TDi CR is averaging 44mpg, but that's with fairly enthusiastic driving, part A road, part motorway. Hoping it will loosen up a bit and return a higher figure once it's got a few miles on the clock.

Edited by APJ

must be something about 2.0 tdi dsg L&K Octys, mine is on 8500 miles at moment and it is rare for me to get anywhere over 40-45 mpg on the maxidot, I fill the tank to the brim every time and i'm now going to get my first 500 mile tank out of it, but only just, hopefully will improve a lot as I put more miles on it and give it a few hard runs to loosen it up a bit more, othewise I just might have to break my run of nearly 20 years of running diesel cars and go for a 1.8 tsi next time.

Ian

now this is spooky, mine is the same (but manual not DSG). Maybe it's a hidden feature of the L&K, crappier fuel economy? :D

Averaging 50MPG so far in my PD140 (collected last Thurs evening), which is better than my Fabia vRS which it replaced. Not bad for a bigger car that's 80Kg heavier; Octy does have better aerodynamics though!

Got 62MPG this morning on a 70 mile cross-country route at a mix of 45-70mph, without trying. Lovely stuff :)

vRS CR170 DSG.

Just been to Devon and back over the weekend.

Just run in - now 1400 miles on clock after trip.

Full boot, missus and nipper in the back, returned 57mpg each way.

Ave speed around 65-70mph.

Well chuffed with that. :thumbup:

Don't want to brag but can get a average of 65mpg confirmed by brim to brim fill up from my 1.9 105 if I drive like a old lady :rofl:

I was getting 62 driven hard, same engine (dads car) ;)

Edited by Gumby

I do 1000 miles a week commuting. Its 100 miles stop/start and 900 miles motorway in reasonably busy traffic.

I pay 115p a litre which works out at around £5.22 a gallon ... and the car costs on average 9.8p per mile

This averages out at 53.3mpg

The car is a 2.0 tdi DSG estate with 96,000 miles on the clock and the AirCon is always on.

Don't want to brag but can get a average of 65mpg confirmed by brim to brim fill up from my 1.9 105 if I drive like a old lady :rofl:

I had a 1.9 105 and I averaged 62mpg on the same journeys as I do in my post above in the 140bhp.

just done a 750 round trip to devon and back.

cruise set at 75 on outward journey with the odd blast and 79 on way back with few extra over take blasts

MPG worked out off tank was 48mpg. Not bad. Computer reads about 10% over.

I've had my Octavia 1.9TDI estate for 2 years now. I do a 12 mile run to work and back each day on small Devon roads :-( Always get 50 mpg or thereabouts.

On a long run in France, we are averaging 52 to 55 mpg and we don't use the motorways. It does go down a bit with the aircon on.

The other thing I have noticed since owning this car with the computer, I don't use the brakes nearly as much, but try to just take my foot off when necessary. Here in Devon you drive behind people who use their brakes every other second, every corner, every time they see another car. This, of course, will ruin your fuel economy. The car has just been serviced and brake pads are only 30% worn at the front and less at the back. The car is 3 years old.

Just love my Skoda :-)

Edited by freeb1rd

I bought an Octavia 1.6tdi under the scrappage deal specifically for the fuel economy. I couldn't believe it would reach the official average of 62mpg. I have driven over 5000 miles now - mainly long runs, but including some normal town use and even 200 miles with a caravan - and have become hooked on economical driving. Probably the slowest man on the motorway - but the car has achieved an average 68mpg brim-to-brim. At 8p per mile against 13ppm in my old Mondeo, that has saved me £250 fuel cost in 2 months. With £35 road tax and low insurance group this must be great value family car motoring.

Sorry to disagree, but as said elsewhere, loaded for camping, max. pressures in tyres, and two pushbikes mounted low down on the tow hitch, 38mpg at a steady motorway cruise of 130kph (or 80mph) in France (and on a frantic dash to Dover).

Even dropping to 70mph ish in the UK, still doing less than 40mpg. The aerodynamics must be appalling.

Now ,with the rack and bikes off , normal tyre pressures and two up, 50mpg is possible at a 70mph ish cruise. But no better has been seen.

Sorry to disagree, but as said elsewhere, loaded for camping, max. pressures in tyres, and two pushbikes mounted low down on the tow hitch, 38mpg at a steady motorway cruise of 130kph (or 80mph) in France (and on a frantic dash to Dover).

Even dropping to 70mph ish in the UK, still doing less than 40mpg. The aerodynamics must be appalling.

Now ,with the rack and bikes off , normal tyre pressures and two up, 50mpg is possible at a 70mph ish cruise. But no better has been seen.

Something wrong somewhere then, because we have toured France and Spain with luggage, filled the car with 200 bottles of wine and still managed nearly 50 mpg. Mind you we would be doing 70 mph, not 80,, although we have certainly done 80 on occasions.