What real MPGs are Scout owners getting?

Sorry, yes. IF I were to get one, it would be that engine rather than the old 2L unit.

Steve

Well I've got the new 2.0 TSI, I've put 7000 miles on it and even with a remap I'm averaging 36.4 mpg on a trip to work, and thats minimal motorway.

On motorway journeys iv now got it up to 44.8 sitting at *ahem* 80

So in theory you should do a bit better than that! :thumbup:

I don't get near 48mpg in my 2.0 pd Scout unless I go for a long steady drive down the motorway at 60mph. Overall Its around 42mpg and about 27mpg towing my caravan. Mind you that is a mostly shortish trips under 10 miles and the weekly round trip of 60 miles to see my mother.

Well I've got the new 2.0 TSI, I've put 7000 miles on it and even with a remap I'm averaging 36.4 mpg on a trip to work, and thats minimal motorway.

On motorway journeys iv now got it up to 44.8 sitting at *ahem* 80

So in theory you should do a bit better than that! :thumbup:

But probably not much as the Scout has the 4WD gubbins adding weight and reducing efficiency of the drivetrain...

To be honest, I can't decide which option to go for:-

• Scout
  • TSi vRS Estate
  • 1.6 CR Elegance Estate

I like the look of the Scout but to be honest will hardly use the 4x4 ability unless it snows again like last winter.

I also like the vRS but with a petrol engine in this time.

Finally, the lowly Elegance would leave more money in the bank at the end of each month. However, I need to test drive this engine as if it feels as slow as I think it might be, It would have to be ruled out, regardless of the savings!

Decisions, decisions.

Steve

Edited by Steve vRS

• Scout
  • TSi vRS Estate
  • 1.6 CR Elegance Estate

I like the look of the Scout but to be honest will hardly use the 4x4 ability unless it snows again like last winter.

Finally, the lowly Elegance would leave more money in the bank at the end of each month. However, I need to test drive this engine as if it feels as slow as I think it might be, It would have to be ruled out, regardless of the savings!

Decisions, decisions.

Steve

Well I'm biased, but the TSI engine is fantastic, really flexible and with good economy - by any standards!

AND with a remap its a rocket :rofl:

• Scout
  • TSi vRS Estate
  • 1.6 CR Elegance Estate

Decisions, decisions.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Ihave had the 1.8TSI Scout for about 3 months and 2.800 Miles . I have kept record of fuel used and it averages about 38.4 MPG. Fantastic car and engine very swift if required for overtake.

Regards Bob Wilsonemoticon-0148-yes.gif .

Our 2.0 PD Scout has done 32000 miles and does about 43-44mpg on usual pootering about driving locally, and about 48-50mpg on a good steady motorway run, but have had it up to mid-50's. All in all I'm pretty pleased comparing it to other similar type 4x4 cars.

Edited by GroundHog

Mines now about a year old, 6700 miles or so.

Mixed journeys do about 27/28 mpg

Towing caravan not to hold traffic up about 22/23 mpg

Going somewhere and coming back produces 30/31 mph

Not as good as some, but it's always well loaded either with tools/materials (my van!) or excess van contents.

As a comparison, our Subaru Forester 2.0 does about 21 towing and about 25 mixed.

But then the Scout is almost a 'proper' car with go!

Our 2.0 PD Scout has done 32000 miles and does about 43-44mpg on usual pootering about driving locally, and about 48-50mpg on a good steady motorway run, but have had it up to mid-50's. All in all I'm pretty pleased comparing it to other similar type 4x4 cars.

Is that taken from your onboard computer or is it "real" MPG calculated manually?

My 2008 2.0 PD Scout achieves a maximum of 42 MPG (300 miles non-stop at 60-80 MPH) and minimum 32 MPG which is a 10 minute crawl to work.

Despite this my car tells me I'm averaging much better, I have had several cars over the years, none of which have told the truth!

• Scout
  • TSi vRS Estate
  • 1.6 CR Elegance Estate

Decisions, decisions.

Steve

Decisions !!

The Scout is a cracking car & really pleased we went for it over the L&K (it replaced an old L&K) the 4wd is more of an aid on wet roads etc where the car really hangs on, Sure it will be better in snow but the winter performance will be limited by the tyres, any depth of snow & I guess they will be struggling (although better than FWD.)

Economy, our PD is similar to groundhogs but I think the DPF is stifling the car. The figures you quoted are possibly for the new car with the CR engine so meant to be better.

If you enjoy fun driving the Scout can really be pushed & it just hangs on, OK it leans a bit but is incredibly predictable.

I would be interested to see depreciation as well but with the rarity of s/hand scouts I think they may hold up well, time will tell

TSI here.

30mpg on my daily 'urban' route - it's really rural, but is hills and junctions mainly.

~36mpg on motorway journeys at 70mph + 10% + 2mph (or thereabouts officer)

38mpg on good A-Roads in flowing traffic (i.e. not hooning it)

I have cracked 40 mpg from time to time when stuck behind caravans or trucks.

It really only started getting near to 40mpg from about 8000miles on.

Is that taken from your onboard computer or is it "real" MPG calculated manually?

My 2008 2.0 PD Scout achieves a maximum of 42 MPG (300 miles non-stop at 60-80 MPH) and minimum 32 MPG which is a 10 minute crawl to work.

Despite this my car tells me I'm averaging much better, I have had several cars over the years, none of which have told the truth!

The long journey was as per the onboard computer, but have worked out the daily stuff brim to brim and the 42mpg is about right. Bearing in mind our daily commute is 15 miles on a dual carriageway so pretty steady stuff.

Having driven both a Scout and Elegance hatch I would choose the Scout again without a doubt. So much better at holding the road and doesn't seem to "lollap" around quite so much as the non-4x4 car. Only downside on the Scout is the seats in our non-FL give me severe back pain on a long journey, whereas my Elegance is much more comfortable. Don't know if this is a Scout thing or pre-FL vs FL though.

Edited by GroundHog

Hi,

Had my Scout TDi now for three months, racking up 3500 miles (here are a mix of my observations).

Trip counter 2, covering average of the entire 3500 miles reads 42.8 mpg. This figure is slowly rising as the car loosens up, first tank averaged 36mpg.

Normal run to work, 10 miles average mix of roads averaging 39 to 40 mpg. (If I drive carefully it goes up to 48mpg).

Motorway runs produce around 45mpg driving at 70 -80(ish)mph, but by being careful and sticking to the limits, I can easily achive 50mpg.

It can become an obsession to watch the live mpg figure and adjust accordingly, and interestingly the use of sixth gear is not always a better choice than fifth.

I'm inclined to believe the trip readings as I always fill the tank to the brim and the figures do agree with the computer.

My 1.8 TSi has now done 4,600ish total miles since March 2010. She (being a Scoutette) tells me we've averaged 34.1mpg for the last 553 miles. That includes some short (6 mile) 'commutes' and a motorway journey of about 200 miles.

Best ever to date was 115 miles from North to South-West Wales (so mostly downhill!) at just over 40mpg when the car had about 3500 miles on the clock.

The mpg depends very much on whether she gets hustled along (and she will hustle very satisfatorily when pressed) a country road or skipped along a motorway.

In those conditions 35 mpg is about par for the course up to now.

I'm pleased to hear that 40 mpg might become more standard when the engine is 'run in' at around 8,000 miles.

Oil consumption worried me early on, when the oil warning light flared into life during a trip to Ireland. However, after a dose of the approved Shell el(helix)ir (about two thirds of a litre) there has been no need for any more.

My old Mk1 1.8 turbo Octy 4x4 used to average around 32 mpg, and never used a drop of oil in 117,000 miles. Fingers are crossed for a repeat Skoda performance.

The Scout is bigger, taller and heavier. But she's quieter, much more comfortable and, curiously perhaps, feels better around corners. The monster tyres probably help a lot.

And did someone mention snow? Well, last winter this place was littered with Audis, BMWs and Mercs going nowhere while the old Octy just cruised up hill and down dale.

Snow? Bring it on.....

The snow question.

I bet a vRS with snow or winter tyres on would be a match for a cout with normal tyres on.

Steve

Well us Scout owners will just have to put winter tyres on then wownt we lol !

• Scout
  • TSi vRS Estate
  • 1.6 CR Elegance Estate

Steve

If you're looking for a bit of go, I'd probably steer clear of the Elegance. Not that it's particularly underwhelming in the go department, but more that the consumption suffers if you use it.

What I find with the 1.6 is that driven very gently it will just about match the consumption of my old 1.9 Tdi 110, but press on a bit and the consumption drops below quite quickly.