What do you hate about your Octy?

Stubax

What do you hate about your Octy?

Sorry to resurect an old thread, but I hate the fact that mine is on the Isle of Wight with 20 miles on the clock (of which I've only done 10) and I'm stuck in an office in Bracknell!!

I only bought it at 6pm last night. Roll on the weekend, when i can get back to my beloved (and the wife ;) )

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to resurect an old thread' date=' but I hate the fact that mine is on the Isle of Wight with 20 miles on the clock (of which I've only done 10) and I'm stuck in an office in Bracknell!!

I only bought it at 6pm last night. Roll on the weekend, when i can get back to my beloved (and the wife ;) )[/quote']

O, I understand. This is my biggest worry when I get my new Octy... :o

• 1 year later...

I have an extate vRS and it is lovely to drive, except it is really very noisy inside, very boomy.

Does anyone else get that? Usual replies from Skoda garage to change the tyres may work a bit while the tyres are new but as soon as they get worn its back to the boom, even at 30-40mph.

I am using Conti-Sports tyres. Any recommendations?

Also now car is coming out of warranty would like a decent mechanic to service it (I live in Berkshire/Hampshire border area). Does anyone know any decent ones? I am really unimpressed with the local Skoda dealer's work. Waste of money if you ask me. Only reason to use them is cos it's still in warranty. Would prefer independents.

But I do love the car...:orb_bounc

Had my vrs a month now compared to my old car [peugeot 405 mi16 le mans] its amazing couldnt drive the mi without fixing something every week:mad: water in boot is a bit annoying but hey can live with that, for a family car with a HUGE boot great looks and good value for money, best car i ever bought:thumbup:

Guest musky

Water in the boot, climate control too low, rolls too much, crappy 1st to 2nd change, rear visibility (needs a camera like a Primera), alloys hard to keep clean, was too slow but Revo cured that:D and less badges would be an improvement.

Haven't noticed stereo particularily bad but then its a car not my lounge, so don't really care. Really good in the snow, but we didn't get enough in Norfolk this year:thumbdwn: .

Sounds like I'm whinging a lot but in general one of the better cars I've owned/driven (I did really like the Passat W8 but maybe I'd have got bored).

Minor quibles:

Hazard button is too big, and why the octavia badge under it??? - has anyone changed this?

Heater controls are fiddly, have to look at what buttons you press, rather than keep an eye on the road!!

White Interior, tried to clean mine, but made it worse, so now gonna pay for a valet!

Major:

Throttle response below 2,000 is poor, and doesnt always drive the same?? prob just mine though :(

16" wheels!!!! - hope to change soon

Crap stereo - changing very soon :D

but dont have the boot problem, weird???

Overall, love the car to bits and its the best car i have ever owned :D :D :D and once i sort the above out, it will be perfect for me :thumbup:

I don't really hate anything but the water in the boot thing really annoys me!

I don't have a problem with demisting but perhaps this is because I avoid opening the boot in the wet. (Maybe a soaking wet boot carpet is causing some peoples demist problem.)

Climate control too low? I thought the whole point was that you don't really need to use it that often. I just leave mine in 'Auto' & let it do it's stuff. Once in a while I use the 'Demist' button.

As for the hazard light & Octavia badge, I quite like them.

And the white carpets & seat inserts; love them! One of the main reasons I bought the car. (I'll admit they are a pain to keep clean though.)

1: Unbalanced Elegance suspension. Stiff front has to do all the anti-roll while soft rear does little.

2: The estate boot closes with such a bang unless you hold it until the last couple of inches, only a problem as other people don't know to do this!

Otherwise a fine car to own. 1.8T and auto gearbox very smooth and fairly responsive. mpg ok-ish.

Climate control buttons WAAAY too low, roly poly ride, crap demister, poop plastic steering wheel, headlight adjustment not precise enough.

All of these are totally trivial which shows how damned good the car is overall.

Mines done almost 90,000 miles now and NOTHING significant has broken.

Hope my Octy II (mid May) gives me the same driving pleasure!

1: Unbalanced Elegance suspension. Stiff front has to do all the anti-roll while soft rear does little.

Interesting you should say that, I was looking into sourceing some new ARBs for my octy elegance and seeing if that would fix things, or wether to get dampers, springs and arbs done at the same time.

Alternatively I guess i could just buy a year old new octy II

Bad

Climate control too low,

crap speakers

crap stereo.

Water in boot.

Crap headlights

Rear leg room just a TOO little.

Sqeaky arm rest.

Body roll on the 4x4

Good

I've just replaced the stereo with the Skoda navigation unit, which hasn't improved the sound at all, but does mean I get to watch the little arrow on the map move! And makes the dash look a whole lot better.

And just getting out on a back roads and being amazed at how well it drives, especially with the 4x4.

I hated that seatbelt warning chime. My dealer said he could only disable the 'repeat' chime that occurs as the car moves, (with the seatbelt unfastened), but not the 6 bongs that sound as soon as the ignition is switched on, (again, belt unfastened),

Since I NEVER drive without a seatbelt, (was first on the scene of an accident where a Rover driver had not been wearing his.... not nice!), I found this noise very irritating.

Anyway, as usual, you ask a dealer to do something, pay them, take the car home and then do it yourself!

Look carefully at the driver's side seat belt 'socket'. You will see a wire running down the arm on which it is mounted. This wire goes to the switch within the 'socket' which tells the system if the belt is fastened.

The wire runs under the seat to the front, where it joins the car's wiring harness via a 2 pin connector.

Unplug this connector and the system will think the belt is fastened, and stop making that stupid noise.

Hope that helps.

Lee

- FWD (standard complain, I know)

- When peeking in the enginebay the hood doesnt have "pumps" that keep it up (instead a cheap stick)

- Brakes: Green pads, small disks at the back

- Fog lights aren`t big rally ones in bumper, like STI, EVO etc,

living in a forest area, so bad view at night at steering roads!

(plus for standard ones they look pretty much like the xenons placed next to it)

- More performance parts please! VAG always has a groupbuy :)

(CAI, TIP, DV, gauges etc, bigger list of extra`s)

For the rest very happy with my Octy vRS, big finger to the expensive car owners / RMO`s (rear mirror objects)

That might affect the firing of airbags though.

Eg if you are not plugged in it might not fire the airbag.

Unplugging the connector makes the system believe that the seat belt is fastened. That is why the chime no longer sounds.

Also though, as the system thinks the belt IS fastened, it would not inhibit the operation of the airbag, even if the system supported such an option.

the fact that there is no alarm on one of the top of the range cars and there are no bonnet lifters on it even my girlfriend's lupo has them on and why is the cigarette lighter behind the handbrake so the sat nav cable is stretched over the gearstick

I think there is a socket or the like behind the radio that enables a phone to be easily connected to the car. This would include a 12v supply, so perhaps this could be used to supply a sat nav?. Try asking your dealer if it is possible as this must be a regular thing now they are so popular.

When mine is next due its service I am going to ask about this too. If there is any good news I wil post it here.

Lee