I took the new vRS for a test drive and almost killed myself thanks to DSG !

Nail hit firmly on head :thumbup:

Please don't buy one - leave it to those who can actually put their brain into gear (no pun intended) B)

I think your thread title could perhaps be amended so as NOT to sound like you are blaming the car

I put my brain in gear too :rofl: and went DSG.. It enables my remapped car to go from 0-60 in 5.1 and a quarter mile in 13.9.. it also helps me with a combined return on my commute of around 45-47mpg.. All of this would be near impossible on a manual version. When you get used to it its also great fun. When I spanked one 260BHP mk3 Ibiza Cupra at Gti international his response was.. "Well you've got DSG that’s cheating.." A wins a win in my book and I didn't need 260BHP to do it. :D Love me a bit of DSG!!

Also to the OP, yeah I had a few incidents where I nearly did it in the first week. One bloke on the Cupra forums wrote his off in the first week, taking a CTR with it (he got rear ended) as he slammed on instead of dropping the clutch.

Edited by mardon

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved owning a DSG equipped car before my Fabia - absolutely awesome gearbox!

You do soon learn to adjust to it :yes:

How true, I move cars around the UK and bounce from manual to automatic. The DSG is a peach though and does get some getting used to [we had to change from a manual to semi auto due to my wifes shoulder problems] it would have been nice if VAG group did a quick driving course so you could explore ALL the aspects of DSG - like if on a hill when cold the trans takes time to engage etc then takes off !!]

You still do plan a gear.

If your on a fast country road in 4th or 5th then depending on the corner 1 tap or 2 of the paddles just before the bend, nice 3rd gear power out.

Still fun only a little more Froza Motorsport on 360 :)

Edited by mardon

Sounds like its a lot shorter geared than the manual then - my manual one is pulling on 100 rpm more in 5th at the same speed.

Dunno about there being no DSG box that can take the torque though. I thought that the Golf GTi and the slightly lower -powered Golf 1.4 GT were both available with a 6 speed manual (and the GTi has more torque?). However I am more than happy to be proved wrong!

I found the info that I thought I'd read. It was on a review of the car in 'the Independant' by John Simister...who liked the car...but not the DSG....and I quote

"Skoda Fabia vRS. Good in parts, spoilt by a transmission which will disqualify it for a significant number of enthusiast car buyers. The real reason it's there, according to an Audi engineer, is that the VW group has no manual gearbox able both to fit that engine and handle its output. Memo to engineers: find one, quickly."

I prefer having manual control of the clutch as it enables precise control of the vehicle at low speeds....

These examples are: 1, to mount the car half on to the pavement on a very narrow road for parking without flying forward once you have mounted. 2, to move the car out of ice ridges without flying out of the hole and having to slam the brakes on once you reach the top, which is what I'm expecting after last winter. 3, when reversing into a parking space that is on an incline upwards (that was at the dealership!). 4, to apply maximum or higher revs to be nearer the peak power point before setting off for a faster start.

Nobody seems to have addressed these points that Scooby2FabVRS mentions. How do people find low speed manoeuvres such as parking with this DSG box? Problems in snow and ice may not have been experienced yet, but I have read of difficulties with controllability with DSG boxes - e.g. not being able to brake with the engine. The control one has by gently slipping a manual clutch would seem a great advantage to me.

Nobody seems to have addressed these points that Scooby2FabVRS mentions. How do people find low speed manoeuvres such as parking with this DSG box? Problems in snow and ice may not have been experienced yet, but I have read of difficulties with controllability with DSG boxes - e.g. not being able to brake with the engine. The control one has by gently slipping a manual clutch would seem a great advantage to me.

My experience of DSG has so far highlighted the difficulty of reversing up an incline or mounting a kerb under control as mentioned. The delights of winter are yet to be experienced and setting the revs high for a quick take off is unecessary as 1st gear is so low. I have pointed these things out before on a thread asking about DSG suitability for somebody with a very steep drive but was drowned under praise for DSG. It is very good in normal driving but not without flaws

I quite like the fact that the Fabia creeps backwards and forwards. Handy for reverse parking as you don't need to keep swapping between the brake and the accelerator. Forward is quite nice also. I was worried going up hills but the hill hold always kicks in for me and gives me time to move off. It's a question of how much pressure on the accelerator on hills, but it's like that with all cars.

I quite like the fact that the Fabia creeps backwards and forwards. Handy for reverse parking as you don't need to keep swapping between the brake and the accelerator.

That sounds good. I would not like to heel-and-toe into parking spaces!

• 3 weeks later...

Blimey this is the first time I checked this post since actually posting it lol and I'm quite surprised at how many people hav commented on the same experience as me lol.

I'd prefer to replace the word "surprised" with "disturbed" personally ;)