I took the new vRS for a test drive and almost killed myself thanks to DSG !

Its true you have a bit to think about when you drive a fast dsg, particularly if you havnt driven an auto before.

If you find this difficult, perhaps you should start out trying to chew gum whilst walking.

Try this for a few weeks, and then when you get behind the wheel again let us all know so we can stay indoors.

Probably rubbing your stomach with one hand, whilst patting your head with the other would have the same effect :thumbup:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, and we let drives like that out on the roads :thumbdown:

Its not hard, the big clue would be you not having changed gears whilst driving :wonder:

But that was the problem......I changed from sport to normal ....and pressed the clutch that wasn't there

This "going for the clutch" for most of us is purely down to habit. I've been driving manual for 20 years, so it's an automatic response when you pull up at a junction to press the clutch. I think I did quite well. I spent 15mins in town traffic in the car (took a wrong turn) and the auto was great there.

This "going for the clutch" for most of us is purely down to habit. I've been driving manual for 20 years, so it's an automatic response when you pull up at a junction to press the clutch. I think I did quite well. I spent 15mins in town traffic in the car (took a wrong turn) and the auto was great there.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nice play on words there :thumbup:

Edited by Brimma

I am pleased I am not the only one with the clutch proplem (waits for misquote engine to kick in) On a sort of related thing, I have nearly had a mini accident with my auto handbrake. If you are sitting with the car in gear and the clutch in and then blip the throttle at all (or increase revs in preparation to move off) the handbrake just cancels!!! And the car can roll as long as the clutch is still in.

Nail hit firmly on head :thumbup:

Please don't buy one - leave it to those who can actually put their brain into gear (no pun intended) B)

I think your thread title could perhaps be amended so as NOT to sound like you are blaming the car

I agree, nobody should buy one until skoda relent and bring out a mnaual with £1000 off the price,

Dear skoda, please relese the New Fabia Vrs with a manual gearbox......................................................

Its not going to happen.

Quite the opposite in fact

Insiders at VW have discovered that the group is planning to remove the manual all together and replace ALL models with DSG

BTW...Once you get used to it, youll never have a manual again!!!

I also agree with JD, going back to a full manual now serves no purpose, they are obsolete.

We have an auto and a manual in the same tin.

Some will no doubt cling on to the familiar 3rd pedal routine for a few years yet though.

Look to the past;

Cars with 4 pedals,

Ignition timing controls on the steering column,

Pulling out the manual choke when cold (I even remember them!),

Dynamos/2 strokes/6volt electrics/3 wheelers/leaf springs/vacuum powered wipers/swing axles/positive earth.

All engineered out.

Anybody want them back?

Imagine the scenario;

Congratulation Mr Button on your F1 season, how about a clutch pedal and a gear lever next year? Oh and 3 wheels and a choke. Ahem, sorry, cut-backs you know.

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry I have to disagree. I prefer having manual control of the clutch as it enables precise control of the vehicle at low speeds. Having changed from my 97 plate Impreza Turbo (due to number of parts about to need replacing due to age) to the new 2010 Fabia VRS there have been a few situations already, where control of the clutch bite would be preferable to enable very slow movement of the car.

These examples are: 1, to mount the car half on to the pavement on a very narrow road for parking without flying forward once you have mounted. 2, to move the car out of ice ridges without flying out of the hole and having to slam the brakes on once you reach the top, which is what I'm expecting after last winter. 3, when reversing into a parking space that is on an incline upwards (that was at the dealership!). 4, to apply maximum or higher revs to be nearer the peak power point before setting off for a faster start (before you say it I did 113k miles on one OE clutch on the Scooby so no I'm not a nutcase but why buy a quick car if you not going to use it occasionally).

The Fabia VRS is an excellent car, but I would have snapped the Trader's hand off if he would have offered me a Fabia VRS in manual. My first car was an old Cortina Mk2 automatic (oops showing my age) and that was a good car in its time, but since then all my cars have been manual and even had to double de-clutch in one car I learned to drive in due to its synchromesh knackered between 2nd and 3rd. Yes it shows my age but also my experience of cars too. All I will say is wait for the next hard winter when you want to get out of an icy carpark in your automatic and I'm sure I'll be cursing from in one too :)

If I recall rightly the Mitsubishi Evo V was issue with an automatic gearbox of the same style to this, albeit with substancially greater strength due to nearly twice the power output and I have seen comments by owners that they prefer the older Evo VIII with the manual gearbox.

PS when will car makers start testing fuel economy on the Mira test track so that it will give realistic figures. I'm averaging 34mpg, not the ridiculous 45mpg average they state and 55 on the motorway continuous is never going to happen even after 3k miles when its loosened up a bit!

I agree, nobody should buy one until skoda relent and bring out a mnaual with £1000 off the price,

From what I've read the problem is that VW do not make a manual box that fits the 1.4 TSI which can take the torque that this version generates...that's why the Hot SEAT, POLO GTI & FABIA VRS all come with the DSG. I have to say that whilst I appreciate the DSG from an engineering point of view I'm not sure about them from a driving perspective. My only experience was with the M-I-Laws' 1.4 Golf GT. I found the car a little sleepy in auto mode...made me drive like a granny. I'm hoping the paddles in the VRS change this character...the test drive tomorrow will be crunch time regarding this car...the gearbox is my wife & I's biggest concern...plus the manual shift in our Golf GTI (which this car could replace) is the best manual box I've ever used!

From what I've read the problem is that VW do not make a manual box that fits the 1.4 TSI which can take the torque that this version generates...that's why the Hot SEAT, POLO GTI & FABIA VRS all come with the DSG. I have to say that whilst I appreciate the DSG from an engineering point of view I'm not sure about them from a driving perspective. My only experience was with the M-I-Laws' 1.4 Golf GT. I found the car a little sleepy in auto mode...made me drive like a granny. I'm hoping the paddles in the VRS change this character...the test drive tomorrow will be crunch time regarding this car...the gearbox is my wife & I's biggest concern...plus the manual shift in our Golf GTI (which this car could replace) is the best manual box I've ever used!

You wont need the paddles!!!

HONEST!!!

It so quick and smooth...Its awesome!!!! :thumbup:

Hi Chris,

Well, we took the test drive today. It's a very nice car. Quick....probably about the same as our MK 5 Golf GTI upto about 80-90 then the lack of torque shows up. The Gearbox was much better than the wife expected...but...sorry to disagree...the paddles make it much more driver friendly...you can drop it down a couple of cogs coming into a bend and take control of the chassis...which is a very good compromise set-up btw...nice and agile! :thumbup:

Our only down marks were on the quality of the dashboard plastics...a little hard and scratchy & the look of the centre console...seems a little boring compared to the Octy VRS.

The boot was not much smaller than the Golfs & the gearing giving 2500rpm at about 70mph gave it a nice calm cruise...I'd say fractionaly quieter than the Golf..though noisier than the Octy.

I'm nearly 6ft tall with long legs & I had more legroom in the back than the Golf when the wife was driving.

We may well go for one as we've been offered an amazing deal by Progress Skoda. :thumbup:

Impressive aren't they. I must admit I've never taken to automatics, unti now, because I have never felt in control when driving them previously. That occasional feeling of 'it's still accelerating but I'm not touching any pedals!' used to freak me out a little.

Since working for Skoda (nearly all of a month now! ha) I've driven a few DSG's and have been very impressed. The new Fabia vRS is a stonkin' little machine, the box is fantastic, especially in "S" mode with the paddles. Takes a little time, not long, to get into the habit of using them but once you have it - ooof, it's all fun.

Hi Chris,

Well, we took the test drive today. It's a very nice car. Quick....probably about the same as our MK 5 Golf GTI upto about 80-90 then the lack of torque shows up. The Gearbox was much better than the wife expected...but...sorry to disagree...the paddles make it much more driver friendly...you can drop it down a couple of cogs coming into a bend and take control of the chassis...which is a very good compromise set-up btw...nice and agile! :thumbup:

Our only down marks were on the quality of the dashboard plastics...a little hard and scratchy & the look of the centre console...seems a little boring compared to the Octy VRS.

The boot was not much smaller than the Golfs & the gearing giving 2500rpm at about 70mph gave it a nice calm cruise...I'd say fractionaly quieter than the Golf..though noisier than the Octy.

I'm nearly 6ft tall with long legs & I had more legroom in the back than the Golf when the wife was driving.

We may well go for one as we've been offered an amazing deal by Progress Skoda. :thumbup:

As you say...I agree that using the paddles now and again is a useful option.

BTW..If you stick it in Sport mode it blips the throttle on change down...A nice touch :thumbup:

Sounds like its a lot shorter geared than the manual then - my manual one is pulling on 100 rpm more in 5th at the same speed.

Dunno about there being no DSG box that can take the torque though. I thought that the Golf GTi and the slightly lower -powered Golf 1.4 GT were both available with a 6 speed manual (and the GTi has more torque?). However I am more than happy to be proved wrong!

Plant your foot there and think

That's the key. Think. Personally I'm glad Skoda brought out the vRS in DSG as if it was manual only, I'd be denied a cracking car having an auto only licence.