Window Regulators

This is the sixth time its happened to my car now so I guess I'm used to it but it never gets less annoying. I can't be the only one this happens to, wind window down a little and it decides that aint enough and objects to you by dropping all the way to the bottom. I must admit that the cause isn't always the same as it's either the cable has mangled up the nylon pulley or like mine yesterday, the plastic clip which holds the window carrier to the regulator has broken. I decided on a fix with plenty of glue and a self tapping screw this time but I guess some new parts are in order. As I have had all the regulators replaced at some point or another you would have thought Skoda would have modified it a bit by now but i guess it's better financially for them if I have to buy a new regulator once a year at £70 or so..... Anyway, does anyone know if a golf regulator will fit as my neighbour has a similar aged car and has never had any trouble. Wondering if they are just better made and if its worth giving them a try.......

• Like 1

The early MK4 golfs had the same problem . This was a recall in the USA for this very problem . My '99 MK4 Golf had both front windows with same problem at different times . The drivers side first let go after about 3 years and then the passenger side followed about 2 years later. The problem was the plastic clips breaking . These were replaced by ( at my expense !) an official VW repair kit specially designed to replace the plastic clips with steel clips. I'm not sure that the your '98 Octavia is the same as a early MK4 Golf but worth exploring.

The early MK4 golfs had the same problem . This was a recall in the USA for this very problem . My '99 MK4 Golf had both front windows with same problem at different times . The drivers side first let go after about 3 years and then the passenger side followed about 2 years later. The problem was the plastic clips breaking . These were replaced by ( at my expense !) an official VW repair kit specially designed to replace the plastic clips with steel clips. I'm not sure that the your '98 Octavia is the same as a early MK4 Golf but worth exploring.

Thanks, I had heard the golf ones were metal which is why I was wondering if they are the same and I could just directly replace them. I shall investigate further.....

Thanks, I'm on it now. Will let everyone know if I have any success. Maybe even do a guide.

Edited as I have looked on ebay but they are all plastic or the wrong type. Interestingly, all the clips listed for the Octavia for my year are different, I appear to have the later type of clip in my car but this may be due to the fact that my regulators have been changed in the past. Maybe that was a mod that didn't cure the fault.....

Edited by andy-fisher

I have seen that one, It's my N/S/R that has broken but my clip looks nothing like those shown, it's more like the pictures shown for the front ones but not 100% sure if its exactly the same.

They do look just like that, I have had the whole regulator changed before, every door has been done once and this one thats broken now, three times. I have lost count how many times I've repaired or replaced clips now which is why I was looking for metal ones that the Golf got modified with but I guess it will be a ltlle more than just the clips I need to replace. I did find Mk4 golf ones but they are very different. I know the clips are easy to do and they are cheap but I'm getting tired of doing it now. I think I can strip and reassemble the doors with my eyes shut!

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully someone can help me?

Have just replaced drivers side window regulator and motor. Regulator had broken cables and teeth in gearing mechanism of motor had worn away. Put everything back together and window worked fine. However after putting door panel back on it had stopped working. This happened 3 or 4 times before I realised that the motor stops working after exactly 10 minutes.

Does something have to be reprogrammed? Or is the 10 minutes just co-incidence?

Please help, this is driving me mad

Thanks

Eoin

Hopefully someone can help me?

Have just replaced drivers side window regulator and motor. Regulator had broken cables and teeth in gearing mechanism of motor had worn away. Put everything back together and window worked fine. However after putting door panel back on it had stopped working. This happened 3 or 4 times before I realised that the motor stops working after exactly 10 minutes.

Does something have to be reprogrammed? Or is the 10 minutes just co-incidence?

Please help, this is driving me mad

Thanks

Eoin

I believe the convenience unit turns off the window winders after about 10 minutes unless the ignition key is in the engine-on position.

I believe the convenience unit turns off the window winders after about 10 minutes unless the ignition key is in the engine-on position.

Thanks for your reply but I just tried it with the engine running for the entire period. Still cut off after 10 minutes. Anyone any other ideas?

Thanks for your reply but I just tried it with the engine running for the entire period. Still cut off after 10 minutes. Anyone any other ideas?

Got it! The PCB was different on the motor I got in the breaker's yard. I swapped in the PCB from my old motor and everything worked perfectly.

So, a word of advice for anyone changing the reg motor - make sure that the code on the sticker where the PCB is (rectangular black enclosure) is the same as well as the 1U...... part #

This is the sixth time its happened to my car now so I guess I'm used to it but it never gets less annoying. I can't be the only one this happens to, wind window down a little and it decides that aint enough and objects to you by dropping all the way to the bottom. I must admit that the cause isn't always the same as it's either the cable has mangled up the nylon pulley or like mine yesterday, the plastic clip which holds the window carrier to the regulator has broken. I decided on a fix with plenty of glue and a self tapping screw this time but I guess some new parts are in order. As I have had all the regulators replaced at some point or another you would have thought Skoda would have modified it a bit by now but i guess it's better financially for them if I have to buy a new regulator once a year at £70 or so..... Anyway, does anyone know if a golf regulator will fit as my neighbour has a similar aged car and has never had any trouble. Wondering if they are just better made and if its worth giving them a try.......

I have just had the same problem, but rear drivers side, snapped cable!!

I rang Skoda in Ireland they said no parts just new regulator €100 ish, a bit stiff!!

I bought one in a breakers yard trying to save a few quid,( €50 )broke one of the plastic clips that holds the clamp bracket in place, NIGHTMARE.

Ended up taking them both apart and making one good one. but it was really difficult to get all the bits in place. i cant imagine that the window regulator repair kits are too easy to use as they come with no instructions.

regulator kit

I am going to repair the broken one and sell it on gumtree or ebay. i'll make a vid or tutorial for it, see how it goes!!

Rory

I have just had the same problem, but rear drivers side, snapped cable!!

I rang Skoda in Ireland they said no parts just new regulator €100 ish, a bit stiff!!

I bought one in a breakers yard trying to save a few quid,( €50 )broke one of the plastic clips that holds the clamp bracket in place, NIGHTMARE.

Ended up taking them both apart and making one good one. but it was really difficult to get all the bits in place. i cant imagine that the window regulator repair kits are too easy to use as they come with no instructions.

regulator kit

I am going to repair the broken one and sell it on gumtree or ebay. i'll make a vid or tutorial for it, see how it goes!!

Rory

Hey Rory

Can you pm with where the breakers yard is please? I need to replace the Driver's door window regulator on my Oct I

Thanks

:thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Rory

Can you pm with where the breakers yard is please? I need to replace the Driver's door window regulator on my Oct I

Thanks

:thumbup:

Hi Face lift,

I'm in Dublin i went to the one on the greenhills road, Cullens i think!!! Walkinstown end, D12

• 2 years later...

Hi , my window dropped in January, pouring with rain, my local garage quoted me 200 quid to fix, (new regulator + labour ) . I got a complete new regulator excluding motor on ebay for £32 quid took me about 45mins and all is ok at the moment.. I found greasing absolutely everything, wheels runners etc, helped as there is less friction, so not so much strain on everything.. Hope this helps

Rik

I've found the ebay parts don't last long, at least with regards to the rears. But the rears were less than £50 each all in from TPS anyways, no trouble at all since fitting those. Ebay repair kits either lost the metal ends to the wire mechs or the plastic clips broke again. I got fed up of it, and bought genuine, and I'm glad I did.

Hi , my window dropped in January, pouring with rain, my local garage quoted me 200 quid to fix, (new regulator + labour ) . I got a complete new regulator excluding motor on ebay for £32 quid took me about 45mins and all is ok at the moment.. I found greasing absolutely everything, wheels runners etc, helped as there is less friction, so not so much strain on everything.. Hope this helps

Rik

Windows always seem to fail in the dropped position and when it's raining !

A temporary emegency repair may be made with piece of clear perspex / polycarbonate and a large roll of electrical insulating tape.

• Like 1

I will see how long my ebay unit lasts, I only fitted it in Jan this year... will let you know..... now it seems the driver side is gona go its making all the wrong noises...

• 4 weeks later...

I will see how long my ebay unit lasts, I only fitted it in Jan this year... will let you know..... now it seems the driver side is gona go its making all the wrong noises...

Hi there, saw your post regarding changing window regs and motors, I recently had replaced the complete elec fitting regulator, motor etc in passenger side. today my drivers side cable has snapped, do you no if its possible to replace just the lifter set and cables and attach to the existing motor, if yes how easy or difficult is it.

Thanks

Hi , ive only ever replaced the whole unit , excluding motor , it was easy , really, and just under 30quid on ebay. It was more fiddly getting the door card off, so don't worry, if you need any help message me and i will b in touch.

Rik