My wife "whupped" a Subaru in the VRS

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!

I would just like to say that I own a fabia

It runs on Shifty Power©

It is the faster than an Lady E's BMW - even in the twisties sofahide.gif

It is faster than most Scoobys in a straight line, if I can get a good launch in 2nd gear, but only as long as I don't spin the wheels in 2nd or 3rd (400lbs/ft does 0-60 in 5.7 secs don't you know). Subaru just gets away quicker but gets reeled in with the mid range power until Scooby driver finally admits defeat and sits and cries in a cloud of sooty smoke that has appeared in front of them blocking their view of my beautiful rear end. ;)

Comments please...................... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, traction issues are a direct result of tyres which can't cope... :giggle:

Diesel engines have more torque than a comparable-displacement petrol engine because of the way diesel engines have to be made in order for them to work - so the fuel type does affect traction.

Never heard of an SDi strugglin to put power down :p

Never heard of an SDi strugglin to put power down :p

Very easy to spin the wheels in an SDI on launch...you just don't have the problem of the turbo kicking in and delivering a thump of torque once the car's moving, which is where most TDI's seem to struggle with traction...

That, and the SDI drivers are a very modest bunch who don't like to come on here posting about what their cars can do. :rofl:

Very easy to spin the wheels in an SDI on launch...you just don't have the problem of the turbo kicking in and delivering a thump of torque once the car's moving, which is where most TDI's seem to struggle with traction...

That, and the SDI drivers are a very modest bunch who don't like to come on here posting about what their cars can do. :rofl:

haha, you see em all after dark ;)

Neigh, neigh and thrice neigh.

I refer the honourabe gentleman to the 2.0l mustang slaying variant. Tis never a truer word spoken whence you doth be taken like a king :yes:

ah yes, you are quite right. if it had been a 2.0 it would have waited at the traffic lights for a bit, then the driver would have rummaged round in the glovebox for a bit, then pulled away leisurely and still beaten the STI mx5rx7 (or whatever mystical car is was)

No, traction issues are a direct result of tyres which can't cope... emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Diesel engines have more torque than a comparable-displacement petrol engine because of the way diesel engines have to be made in order for them to work - so the fuel type does affect traction.

No! the fuel apparently doesn’t have anything to do with it. Think of them a petrol cars that have a very viscous fuel instead :D The fact that these viscous petrol fueled cars produce huge gobs of torque is a myth apparently.

I can’t wait for the first FWD dragsters by the way :D :D

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!

I would just like to say that I own a fabia

It runs on Shifty Power©

It is the faster than an Lady E's BMW - even in the twisties sofahide.gif

It is faster than most Scoobys in a straight line, if I can get a good launch in 2nd gear, but only as long as I don't spin the wheels in 2nd or 3rd (400lbs/ft does 0-60 in 5.7 secs don't you know). Subaru just gets away quicker but gets reeled in with the mid range power until Scooby driver finally admits defeat and sits and cries in a cloud of sooty smoke that has appeared in front of them blocking their view of my beautiful rear end. emoticon-0105-wink.gif

Comments please...................... emoticon-0140-rofl.gifemoticon-0140-rofl.gifemoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Your car also has a weapons system that throws rocks out of the exhaust pipe emoticon-0104-surprised.gifemoticon-0105-wink.gif

Getting bored now, and this is getting really repetitive.

The fuel DOES NOT affect traction...its simple, you are generalising performance of fuel, yet I have never seen anyone in an SDi struggling to hold back the sheer amounts of torque, is that not diesel? or do you think it got less character? see my 'pedantic' point?...

You are the first person I have ever seen state that petrol and diesel car engines perform tin the same manner. Bloody Emperor's Clothes all the car mags!

How on earth you're turning this into touring cars and what BMW have acheived in that I do not know, regardless, RWD isnt magic, it cannot make a car faster than somthing that has more power and less weight that is just using an alternative drive train...RWD does not permit cars to bypass the laws of physics, pass go or collect £200..

Touring cars was an 'example' of how RWD has real world traction benefits. My BMW was quoted as it was a car i knew very well and had played with it against several Furbys on this site, as can be tetified by more than one VRs owner on here.

Who mentioned the weight of the physical bumpers??? traditionally in VAGs engines are pushed far forward and the wheels set back, thats a lot of weight especially to over hang by a few inches...BMW put there wheels right at the front, keeping the weight of the car more central. Im not arguing about track times, I simply said that IMO coming out of corners at speed in a RWD is pretty risky, too much throttle and the back becomes twitchy or steps out.

I can only refer you to the Touring cars point of extra traction again I am afraid. as for VAG cars and engine placement. Well VAG has done some seemingly odd things like longitudinal engines in a FWD car. My current VAG has had the engine moved further back than it's predecessor, but in FWD models. it is seriously short on traction off the line. As I said earlier, i can't wait to see the first successful FWD dragsters, perhaps they will be turbo diesels too :D

Naturally, a standard 2.0 petrol Furby is never going to be beaten by anything powered through it's wheels. But Brisky already knows this.

How can you say that after the figures I have quoted...do I need to digup that old video? straight line performance is affected by BHP at the wheels, weight, etc etc, theyre both similar, whats not sinking in? I wasnt comparing all round similarities, Subaru would win on handling by a million miles.

Please just...dont reply...my heads getting sore from what feels like im hitting it against a brick wall...

Take an Anadin. As for Scooby handling, I think if you read my posts, you will see I don't rate the Scooby's handling that much. Traction is great in general, but the handling is a bit dull and understeery on most standard versions that I have owned or driven. I think you confuse peak power with usable power, this includes traction as a consideration. Another interesting figure is Sauage Rolls 0-60 time. His 400lb/ft produces the same 0-60 as the much heavier 210lb/ft of the first Scooby.

ah yes, you are quite right. if it had been a 2.0 it would have waited at the traffic lights for a bit, then the driver would have rummaged round in the glovebox for a bit, then pulled away leisurely and still beaten the STI mx5rx7 (or whatever mystical car is was)

What ever happened to the 2.0 Furby brigade? They were always acknowledged as being the fastest thing ever until this latest Veyron came out. And I would obviously still value being able to climb out of the Furby with a little more dignity than the Veyron, as the selling point that would send my money in the Furbys direction anyway.

What ever happened to the 2.0 Furby brigade?

i got rid of mine ages ago, the fabia was the worst car i've ever owned in terms of build quality and reliability. my old 2.0 is still about becuase i've seen it about my area, just feel sorry for the poor soul that now owns it :giggle:

i got rid of mine ages ago, the fabia was the worst car i've ever owned in terms of build quality and reliability. my old 2.0 is still about becuase i've seen it about my area, just feel sorry for the poor soul that now owns it emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Hope he hasn’t just read this :D

Was this the car we called the Sunny Gti-r?

Yes, thats the one. Proper 1990's rally slag. Although it was **** when it competed in world rally in 1992-1994 :giggle:

The road going version was awsome straight out of the showroom and was the fastest 2 litre turbo 4 wheel drive at the time. Infact, it probably still is the fastest hot hatch to this day.

Edited by kawi kid

Getting bored now, and this is getting really repetitive.

The fuel DOES NOT affect traction...its simple, you are generalising performance of fuel, yet I have never seen anyone in an SDi struggling to hold back the sheer amounts of torque, is that not diesel? or do you think it got less character? see my 'pedantic' point?...

You are the first person I have ever seen state that petrol and diesel car engines perform tin the same manner. Bloody Emperor's Clothes all the car mags!

This was a question you have just ignored with another daft remark....explain why SDi's dont have the same problem when they run on diesel?

How on earth you're turning this into touring cars and what BMW have acheived in that I do not know, regardless, RWD isnt magic, it cannot make a car faster than somthing that has more power and less weight that is just using an alternative drive train...RWD does not permit cars to bypass the laws of physics, pass go or collect £200..

Touring cars was an 'example' of how RWD has real world traction benefits. My BMW was quoted as it was a car i knew very well and had played with it against several Furbys on this site, as can be tetified by more than one VRs owner on here.

The owner of that vRS disagreed in an earlier post already....?

Who mentioned the weight of the physical bumpers??? traditionally in VAGs engines are pushed far forward and the wheels set back, thats a lot of weight especially to over hang by a few inches...BMW put there wheels right at the front, keeping the weight of the car more central. Im not arguing about track times, I simply said that IMO coming out of corners at speed in a RWD is pretty risky, too much throttle and the back becomes twitchy or steps out.

I can only refer you to the Touring cars point of extra traction again I am afraid. as for VAG cars and engine placement. Well VAG has done some seemingly odd things like longitudinal engines in a FWD car. My current VAG has had the engine moved further back than it's predecessor, but in FWD models. it is seriously short on traction off the line. As I said earlier, i can't wait to see the first successful FWD dragsters, perhaps they will be turbo diesels too :D

Naturally, a standard 2.0 petrol Furby is never going to be beaten by anything powered through it's wheels. But Brisky already knows this.

How can you say that after the figures I have quoted...do I need to digup that old video? straight line performance is affected by BHP at the wheels, weight, etc etc, theyre both similar, whats not sinking in? I wasnt comparing all round similarities, Subaru would win on handling by a million miles.

Please just...dont reply...my heads getting sore from what feels like im hitting it against a brick wall...

Take an Anadin. As for Scooby handling, I think if you read my posts, you will see I don't rate the Scooby's handling that much. Traction is great in general, but the handling is a bit dull and understeery on most standard versions that I have owned or driven. I think you confuse peak power with usable power, this includes traction as a consideration. Another interesting figure is Sauage Rolls 0-60 time. His 400lb/ft produces the same 0-60 as the much heavier 210lb/ft of the first Scooby.

This is to do with off the lights traction and is also relevant to the type of drivetrain, RWD off the line has, is and always will be better than FWD for it, my point is that its cant makes it round a track faster if it has less power and more weight simply due to it being RWD.

Interesting thread. All I know is I lost all respect for Subaru's and Evo's once I hit 250bhp and threw my interior away.

I did however have buckets of respect for a certain 123d and it's driver. I still blame the damp and my inferior chassis/traction. :)

i stayed level with new cosworth scooby (0-62 in 3.2sec)today all the way to 100mph easy ,

i dont even care what anyone says ! :giggle: :wonder:

And I made a Lambo eat my dust while I was asleep last night :thumbup: