ESP / ABS G201 Failure (Teves MK60) - List

scouter2

By now hopefully most Octavia owners will be aware of the issue on the ABS / ESP unit (this does not affect cars with ASR instead of ESP). In short the unit is failing at around the 4 year mark and the bill from Skoda to replace this is around £1500-£1700. This is a problem which is affecting VWs & Audi as well as other manufacturers. There is even a Facebook group for VW Golfs affected (Facebook Golf ESP group).

For more details & cases see these threads:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/153853-honest-johns-take-on-esp-problems/

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/173997-urgent-help-needed-esp-light/

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/166593-another-teves-mk60-absesp-unit-failure/

Skoda's response is to deny that this is a common issue. Skoda Customer Services told me that they are only aware of one or two cases of the part failing ( :smirk: ). At best they have been offering up to 60% goodwill, at worst nothing.

Therefore could I ask all those who have had this issue to list their details here to provide all with ammunition in order to convince Skoda that the part should be changed free of charge under the Sale of Goods Act 1979. To win a case in the small claims court the burden of proof for cars over 6 months and under 6 years is on the customer so we need to prove that the fault is not a one-off...

Just copy/paste the list below and then add yourself, using the following format -

User - Model - Registered month/year - Failure month / year - mileage at failure - skoda's response (goodwill)

Scouter2 - Octavia Scout - Registered 04/07 - Fault 08/10 - 52,000 miles - so far 35% goodwill offered (ongoing)

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By now hopefully most Octavia owners will be aware of the issue on the ABS / ESP unit (this does not affect cars with ASR instead of ESP). In short the unit is failing at around the 4 year mark and the bill from Skoda to replace this is around £1500-£1700. This is a problem which is affecting VWs & Audi as well as other manufacturers. There is even a Facebook group for VW Golfs affected (Facebook Golf ESP group).

For more details & cases see these threads:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/153853-honest-johns-take-on-esp-problems/

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/173997-urgent-help-needed-esp-light/

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/166593-another-teves-mk60-absesp-unit-failure/

Skoda's response is to deny that this is a common issue. Skoda Customer Services told me that they are only aware of one or two cases of the part failing ( :smirk: ). At best they have been offering up to 60% goodwill, at worst nothing.

Therefore could I ask all those who have had this issue to list their details here to provide all with ammunition in order to convince Skoda that the part should be changed free of charge under the Sale of Goods Act 1979. To win a case in the small claims court the burden of proof for cars over 6 months and under 6 years is on the customer so we need to prove that the fault is not a one-off...

Just copy/paste the list below and then add yourself, using the following format -

User - Model - Registered month/year - Failure month / year - mileage at failure - skoda's response (goodwill)

Scouter2 - Octavia Scout - Registered 04/07 - Fault 08/10 - 52,000 miles - so far 35% goodwill offered (ongoing)

darius - Octavia EleganceEstate - Registered 04/1995 (05 plate) - Failure 08 / 2010 - circa 44000 - skoda's response pay another £100 for 2nd diagnostic which may be offset on £1000 bill which may get some good will - went to 3rd party for repair BBB REMAN and ECU Testing do it. Not giving skoda any more of my cash ever (we run 2 Skodas and was looking at buying a Superb)

Edited by darius

Just copy/paste the list below and then add yourself, using the following format

darius - Octavia EleganceEstate - Registered 04/1995 (05 plate) - Failure 08 / 2010 - circa 44000 - Nothing (see comments post #3)

Edited by scouter2

darius - Octavia EleganceEstate - Registered 04/1995 (05 plate) - Failure 08 / 2010 - circa 44000 - skoda's response pay another £100 for 2nd diagnostic which may be offset on £1000 bill which may get some good will - went to 3rd party for repair BBB REMAN and ECU Testing do it. Not giving skoda any more of my cash ever (we run 2 Skodas and was looking at buying a Superb)

Know the feeling! I now very much doubt I'll be buying that Superb Estate...

darius - Octavia EleganceEstate - Registered 04/1995 (05 plate) - Failure 08 / 2010 - circa 44000 - Nothing (see comments post #3)

pmc - octavia 4x4 estate - reg feb 05 - nov2009 - 50,000miles - never heard of the problem, tested positive, dealer said skoda won't give you any goodwill, skoda uk said get dealer to contact them, ongoing.

pmc - octavia 4x4 estate - reg feb 05 - nov2009 - 50,000miles - never heard of the problem, tested positive, dealer said skoda won't give you any goodwill, skoda uk said get dealer to contact them, ongoing.

Bluvrs2 Octavia vrs registered 2 October 2006 Fault Thurs 28 Jan mileage 27416 skoda £884.63 out of £1500 bill I paid 615.37

Edited by bluvrs2

Bluvrs2 Octavia vrs registered 2 October 2006 Fault Thurs 28 Jan mileage 27416 skoda £884.63 out of £1500 bill I paid 615.37

[/user - Model - Registered month/year - Failure month / year - mileage at failure - skoda's response (goodwill)

quote]

Keekodog Octavia VRS Registed October 2006, Fault 03/09 - 32,000 miles, covered under warranty

Edited by keekodog

Keekodog Octavia VRS Registed October 2006, Fault 03/09 - 32,000 miles, covered under warranty

fikes75 octavia vrs registered 31 January 2006 26000 miles , 50 weeks out of warranty 60% goodwill ,i paid £394

paulolourenco76 - Octavia Vrs tfsi - Reg 03 2006 - Fail 07 2009 - 25000miles - Goodwill due to loyalty, I Paid £294 ish

Rhoobarb - Octi VRS - Reg Dec 2005 - Failure beginning of 2010 - 35k (ish) - Service manager says no common fault exists and that the units are VAG group only they dont have parts from other manufacturers on their cars!!, treated me like a slow problem child. Ongoing with snail paced local garage (who havent phoned for months) to get recon'd instead of replaced. Hoping Skoda will wake-up as no hope in hell can afford replacement.

Don't have parts from other manufacturers on their cars......? Twaddle.........

Hella Headlamps - Common to many manufacturers

Tyres - Hmmmmm

Alloys - Usually from someone like Ronal, BBS etc

Wiper Blades - Bosch most likely

Sat Navs - Continental

ABS - Bosch or Continental usually

Brake Discs / Pads - Brembo, Jurid, Pagid, Ferrodo......

And I'm not even thinking that hard, must be literally thousands of parts used accross hundreds of different car manufacturers. That service manager is a numpty half-wit.

Don't have parts from other manufacturers on their cars......? Twaddle.........

Hella Headlamps - Common to many manufacturers

Tyres - Hmmmmm

Alloys - Usually from someone like Ronal, BBS etc

Wiper Blades - Bosch most likely

Sat Navs - Continental

ABS - Bosch or Continental usually

Brake Discs / Pads - Brembo, Jurid, Pagid, Ferrodo......

And I'm not even thinking that hard, must be literally thousands of parts used accross hundreds of different car manufacturers. That service manager is a numpty half-wit.

He was, Im not going back to say the least. I wonder if its SUK policy to deny this is even there or just a head in the sand jobbie.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm (probably) about to buy a used Octavia so this business with the ABS unit naturally continues to be of great interest to me. Just as I was thinking to myself that maybe I've made too much of it, up pops this thread to put the wind up me again.

However, I'm surprised that the thread seems to have stalled a little. Perhaps it's less widespread than it seems. On the other hand, I re-read one of the earlier long threads on the matter and identified 13 contributors who had suffered G201 (I won't presume to add their names, partly because some of the information may be out of date).

I wonder. Is that a large proportion of forum members who own or have owned Octavias fitted with the Teves60 unit (even, perhaps, discounting those, if any, who joined on account of the problem)? Is this representative of Octavia owners as a whole?

It's clearly a very important issue with regard to the way Skoda is responding to it and treating customers. As a purely financial risk, though, if it really is the case that it can be fixed once and for all for something like £600 (about the price of new tyres all round on a Vrs?) and a bit of palaver, I suppose it's significant and nasty but not catastrophic.

All the same, it's made me reconsider my yearning for a Mk II Vrs. Now, I'm thinking I might be better off getting a car without ESP. That rules out an L&K, I imagine. I thought that, say, a 2005 Elegance would not have ESP, though I see that one is mentioned in the list. Would ESP have been an optional extra?

I did once own a Skoda - a Felicia. I bought it from a Franchise garage. I looked at one - it had already sold to someone else, though. The next day the garage phoned and said they had another I might like. I went in and bought it there and then. Didn't even bother to haggle since it seemed a decent price to me. A couple of days later off I went in it (not very rapidly, I have to say). Things are proving a bit more complicated this time round...

[Personally I'm more upset at being treated like an idiot by both my local dealer and Skoda U.K. than I am by a part failing on my car.

Before my ESP experiences I would have recommended a Skoda to anybody and while I still think that Skodas are well built and as, if not more, reliable than many other makes of car I would find it difficult to hand my hard earned money to any organisation that treated me and apparently so many others so shabbily.

pmc

pmc - octavia 4x4 estate - reg feb 05 - nov2009 - 50,000miles - ongoing (see post #6)

paulolourenco76 - Octavia Vrs tfsi - Reg 03 2006 - Fail 07 2009 - 25000miles - Goodwill due to loyalty, I Paid £294 ish

Rhoobarb - Octi VRS - Reg Dec 2005 - Failure beginning of 2010 - 35k (ish) - Ongoing (see post #13)

pmc - octavia 4x4 estate - reg feb 05 - nov2009 - 50,000miles - ongoing (see post #6)

Rhoobarb - Octi VRS - Reg Dec 2005 - Failure beginning of 2010 - 35k (ish) - Ongoing (see post #13)

fikes75-octavia vrs- jan 2006-fail feb 2010- 24000 miles- 60% goodwill paid £394

I wonder. Is that a large proportion of forum members who own or have owned Octavias fitted with the Teves60 unit (even, perhaps, discounting those, if any, who joined on account of the problem)? Is this representative of Octavia owners as a whole?

I don't think you're going to get a representative sample as those who have problems are more likely to post here than those who don't and even though this is the largest Skoda forum I'd think it's still too small to be a representative sample anyway. That is of course nothing against this site - one of the reasons I signed up to the Freedom subscription (which I normally don't) is because when having trouble fitting a part to my Octavia, this was the only place I could find useful information.

I have been thinking of starting up a second thread for people to post who haven't had this issue with the traction unit yet or better yet setting up a shared Google spreadsheet so everyone can just punch their details in and update if anything changes. That way it should be a lot easier to perform some analysis on percentages of cars affected and when cars have had the problem and if possible get users from the likes of seatcupra.net to also join in.

John

I agree your not going to get much of a representation of unit failure, but certainly unit failure in the octy 2. After all, owners of other models, especially other manufacturers arent going to post in the octy 2 section of a skoda forum that their ABS unit has failed are they?

Doesn't the fact that other manufacturers with the same unit in their cars have admitted problems and are doing a lot more to accommodate their customers prove there is a bigger problem than just the odd example?

Just google 'teves mk 60 failure' and it will bring up numerous hits, not specifically skoda,

Edited by Rhoobarb

I agree your not going to get much of a representation of unit failure, but certainly unit failure in the octy 2. After all, owners of other models, especially other manufacturers arent going to post in the octy 2 section of a skoda forum that their ABS unit has failed are they?

That's why I was suggesting a shared Google spreadsheet so other VAG owners don't have to come here...

John

All the same, it's made me reconsider my yearning for a Mk II Vrs. Now, I'm thinking I might be better off getting a car without ESP. That rules out an L&K, I imagine. I thought that, say, a 2005 Elegance would not have ESP, though I see that one is mentioned in the list. Would ESP have been an optional extra?

From what I can gather it was only the VRS, L&K and 4x4/Scout versions that had ESP as standard.

I think you're right that an Elegance with ESP would have had it as an optional extra, my October 2007 Elegance certainly doesn't have ESP. (It has ASR).

Edited by nick74