ESP / ABS G201 Failure (Teves MK60) - List

scouter2

Xyster has a separate topic on this, it seems that the garage read the fault codes from the car and decided that because the fault code showed an ABS sensor, they've failed it due to the ABS not working even though it's the ESP that's not available. At least that's the way I read it.

John

Yeah, I think your correct in that assumption. It baffled me as no ABS warning light is up, only the ESP light. I have also read that the ESP switch should be illuminated which mine is not. Skoda have now asked for me to take it in for a diag check. They must have already done one though as I saw the printout showing the fault code and prognosis but now they want it in again.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I think your correct in that assumption. It baffled me as no ABS warning light is up, only the ESP light. I have also read that the ESP switch should be illuminated which mine is not. Skoda have now asked for me to take it in for a diag check. They must have already done one though as I saw the printout showing the fault code and prognosis but now they want it in again.

Take it to a different testing station. Shouldn't fail on ABS if there is no ABS light on. Was this the Skoda dealer doing the MoT? Strong smell of rotting fish here...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/256666/auto_expresss_stop_the_service_secrets_campaign.html

Some topical reading and might help some, in particular read the comments at the bottom regarding the VW golf with the ESP fault

I thought the last guy suggesting the french should be stopped from making cars by international treaty was inspirational... :rofl:

• 2 months later...

I dont know if people are aware of this:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=300238

But its a genuine repair and a great alternative to buying a new unit and paying £1200!!!

Just out of interest, for those who may have to travel, can you do it in one day ?

Edited by andyjl1968

• 2 weeks later...

Add me to the list. Octavia vRS, first registered March 2007, ESP fault started March 2011 (this morning!!).

Currently investigating causes and options. Local Skoda dealer went bust 18 months ago so was serviced at VW dealer last year. This year it's going to an independent auto services. Is something they could do or will I need to go to VW and pay through the nose? Also wondering if/where/why/cost of getting the kit to do DIY fault reading?

Mine went: 2006 VRS. It failed in the middle of last year & was promptly traded in by it's then owner & fixed by the dealer (non-VAG) before I bought it! When I spoke to them they didn't seem aware this was a common & expensive problem, so the original seller probably got a reasonable deal & ran like hell!

Just looking at this thread, my car isn't affected but I noticed a post from a Volvo owner, 100% cost met by dealer without hassle, 2005 year if I recall.

No. - User - Model - Registered month/year - Failure month / year - mileage at failure - skoda's response (goodwill)

01 - Scouter2 - Octavia Scout - Registered 04/07 - Fault 08/10 - 52,000 miles - 100% goodwill offered (eventually)

02 - darius - Octavia EleganceEstate - Registered 04/1995 (05 plate) - Failure 08 / 2010 - circa 44000 - Nothing (see comments post #3)

03 - pmc - octavia 4x4 estate - reg feb 05 - nov2009 - 50,000miles - ongoing (see post #6)

04 - Bluvrs2 Octavia vrs registered 2 October 2006 Fault Thurs 28 Jan mileage 27416 skoda £884.63 out of £1500 bill I paid 615.37

05 - Keekodog Octavia VRS Registed October 2006, Fault 03/09 - 32,000 miles, covered under warranty

06 - paulolourenco76 - Octavia Vrs tfsi - Reg 03 2006 - Fail 07 2009 - 25000miles - Goodwill due to loyalty, I Paid £294 ish

07 - Rhoobarb - Octi VRS - Reg Dec 2005 - Failure beginning of 2010 - 35k (ish) - Ongoing (see post #13)

08 - fikes75-octavia vrs- jan 2006-fail feb 2010- 24000 miles- 60% goodwill paid £394

09 - Andrew S Wales - Octavia VRS TFSI - reg May 06 - Failed May 10 - 36,000 miles - covered by Skoda Approved Used Car Warranty (thankfully!)

10- VRSbilly - Octavia VRS TFSI - reg Mar 06 - Failed Sep 10 - 12,600 miles - Cost me £600

11 - Daveclar-Octavia vRS CR TDi-Reg July 2008-Fault August 2010-16500- Week outside warranty. Parts and labour covered fully.

12 - Bev.Elliott - Octavia 4x4 - March 06 - July 2010 - 54,000. 35%.

13 - Steev - Octavia vRS 2.0T - Reg May 2007 - Fail Sep 2010 - 25,200 miles - 70% revised goodwill after threats of court action, I pay £363

14 - Niall - Octavia Scout 2.0PD - Reg May 07 - Fail Oct 2010 - 74,500 - 100% Goodwill

15 -Dan - Octavia VRS 2.0PD - Reg Jan 07 - Fail July 2010 - 28000 miles - Skoda Ireland coverered 80% after haggling and dealer half the labour = €372 to me

16- shorty - Octavia Sport 2.0PD - Reg Jul 06 - Fail Jun 2010 - 60000 miles - so far offered 35% goodwill, not accepted

17- Snowie-Octavia 4x4 TDi estate-Reg March 07-Fail Oct 2010-36000miles-Visit to Skoda dealer next week. Will let you know!!!!!!

18- gordonp46 -Octavia TDi estate L&K-Feb 06 reg-failed June 2010- mileage 60K-luckily I had extended the warranty after 3 yrs so did not have to pay (best value £300 I have spent!!)

19 - wulliexk8 - Octavia Scout - Reg Jan 08 - failed Oct 08 - mileage 30000 - repaired under warranty

20 - Champion - Octavia sport 2.0PD - Reg Mar 06 - failed Oct 09 - 78000 - 30% goodwill I pay £850

21- Cng- Octavia 2.0PD L&K - Reg Mar 07- Failed April 11 44000 miles- No contacted dealer

Just had the dreaded ESP light- Will be contacting dealer next week to see if can get goodwill . Car has full Skoda service from dealer that sold it. I have serviced 3 Skoda with them over the past 9 years or so. Fancy my chances ?

Just looking at this thread, my car isn't affected but I noticed a post from a Volvo owner, 100% cost met by dealer without hassle, 2005 year if I recall.

Yep that was me. I suspect Volvo are more generally more sympathetic to out of warranty claims than Skoda, but I did have a full Volvo main dealer service history and had owned the car from new.

I had the problem on my 06 vRS (first reg May 06) in December '10, 50000 miles. Garage asked initially and was refused goodwill. Personal approach resulted in 60% parts and labour based on loyalty to brand (my third Octavia) and full service history.

I had the problem on my 06 vRS (first reg May 06) in December '10, 50000 miles. Garage asked initially and was refused goodwill. Personal approach resulted in 60% parts and labour based on loyalty to brand (my third Octavia) and full service history.

I will be trying that personal approach with dealer this week. I have read on this posting list and on others that the repair kit at considerably less than the whole unit will softnen the blow. However just read 3 week plus wait for parts.

Just as an update on mine.

My dealership emailed me this morning asking me when I'd like to bring the car in to have the fixing kit applied.

I said Friday, but did question if they would have the kit by then as there appears to be shortages.

They said it will be fine and I'm booked in on Friday.

So either the kits are readily available, or they are going to tell me "No mate, the fixing kit didn't work, you'll need a new ABS sensor at £720+vat plus fitting".

But there is no reason why this kit won't fix the issue at the much reduced rate - I'll let you know how I get on at the end of the week.

And another quick update.

Dealer contacted me today - they haven't got the fix kit in, it's on back order and there is at the moment no delivery date.

My new car is due within the next two weeks and they won't take my car as trade-in in it's current condition.

So if the kit doesn't arrive soon my new car will just sit waiting until it does.....grrrrrrr

And another quick update.

Dealer contacted me today - they haven't got the fix kit in, it's on back order and there is at the moment no delivery date.

My new car is due within the next two weeks and they won't take my car as trade-in in it's current condition.

So if the kit doesn't arrive soon my new car will just sit waiting until it does.....grrrrrrr

That is ridiculous

Tell me about it.

The problem is, if the "fix kit" doesn't fix the issue then they have a car taken in from me that qill require a new ABS sensor.

I was quoted £719+vat plus fitting for that.

I'm 99% sure this fix kit will solve the issue - but the dealership want to see the proof.

So until they can get that fix kit they aren't happy honouring the original trade-in valuation on my car :(

Great - was directed to this thread by another user...

Sounds like I may now have the same issue - will post more info from home tonight.

I have a Skoda Extended Warranty, so hoping I have some comfort in that...the fact the dealer won't even look at my car for a week is frustrating at best !

Looks like I might be number 23 -

harveys-Octavia vRS petrol-Reg 15th Feb 07-Fail 11th April 2011 (this morning !)- 24000 miles-Visit to Skoda dealer next week (earliest they'd even look at it!) Will let you know!!!!!!

I am hoping any work is covered under the extended warranty & can be done quickly. I am hoping to sell my car privately in the next two weeks & who wants a car with a warning light on it.

OK - my update :-)

Dealers now have the "fix kit".

Unfortunately they cannot fit me in until Monday.

So Monday first thing my car goes in for the "fix" and all being well I then get to go back at lunchtime and collect my new car!

So the "fix kits" are available - my dealer ordered one last week and it took just under a week for them to get one.

An update on my warning light. The car went into dealer this morning & when I called just now, they have advised it needs an ABS Control Kit ?? They are off to phone Skoda warranty for authorisation - so fingers crossed. Really need the car back tonight at the latest, but will it be fixed/will they have the kit? It's going in the local paper classifieds tomorrow, so it's no use if it's still sitting at the dealers.

The "fix kit" - almost certainly not.

In short supply and the dealerships would rather try and sell you an ABS Controller Unit for £719+vat plus fitting, rather than a £150+vat fix kit :)

However if it will be done under warranty - you won't care and they can fit the more expensive option, however I doubt they would hold stock and you might be looking at 24hrs to get one in.

Cheers for that reply.

Sitting by the phone, with my fingers crossed. The Service Manager did instruct them to order parts on Tuesday, when they agreed to take the car in, so I live in hope.

Sounds like any delay might also be in getting authorisation from Skoda Warranty?